Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.09

on 31 March 2014
In this 3 story gap filler, the author is setting the stage for the big confrontation between Caesar and Vercingetorix. It is a very nice appetite whetting segue and includes some (to be expected) twists as well as tying up a loose end in the Milo/Clodius situation. I read this in one sitting and while that points to the author’s ability to grab my attention, it also means I have to wait longer for the next full volume in this most excellent series. Next up – Winner Takes Gaul.
on 20 September 2014
This book contains three short stories which take place between Marius Mules VI, and the next volume. They are really a positioning device to allow the author to focus on the main element of the next work - no secret that that will be the revolt led by Vercingetorix- without having to fill that book with unnecessary detail. If you take it as such, it is a good read. Two of the stories deal solely with characters we have come to know from the earlier books, and explain what happens to them during this time. The third story, although related to characters in these books, details an important historical incident which will also have an affect on some of our characters.
Unlike some of the other reviewers, I don't have a problem with these short 'in-fillers'. Yes they are short, but as long as that is made clear in the description - which this one is, although I aknowledge some others are not - then you know exactly what you are getting.
I'm now waiting for episode VII
on 4 August 2014
Am enjoying this series and eagerly awaiting the next, thought hard before buying this. I don't like short stories, but this was ok and used up one bus journey. Wish authors would not do this - issuing overpriced fillers to tempt people waiting for the next novel. I'm sure it's profitable but I find it irritating.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2014
'Good introduction to Marius Mules VII - The Great Revolt - Allows quicker pick up of the characters within ' The Great Revolt'
Got to remember this type of book does not take long to read - perhaps some readers may not consider it value for money
(£0.99 pence via amazon.)
on 2 January 2015
Great storytelling as usual even with Fronto being absent for much of the time. Surprised though that the book finished at page 92 when Priscus decides to head for Fronto. Expecting more. Keep writing. Starting to get a bit like waiting for Game of Thrones.
on 21 December 2014
a very realistic and exciting account of Roman Gaul with authentic battle tactics that bring to life the reality of war. Excellent characterisation and story line. I couldn't put this book down and immediately started reading the next in teh series.
on 25 May 2015
Back to blood and guts for Fronto ...and three more books to come ..i love this series, now better than the Marco and Cato offerings from Simon Scarrow..if you loved those early books read these if you haven't already, you won't be disapointed.
on 23 August 2014
This series is so gripping I was buying the books two at a time and waiting for the next one to be written . Fantastic writing and velievae characters the action is described in a way that puts you at the centre of it . Fantastic . More please
on 8 August 2014
cant understand why this was produced. Those of us following the MM tales where probably the disappointed ones having read these very few pages in less than an hour. It left a sour taste that this was a mere money cover for Amazon.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2014
Good entertaining read,I think mostly based on our knowledge of the Roman culture. A good combination of raw action
and attention to detail. I enjoy all his books.