Format: Audio CD|Change

This isn't as good as I was expecting. It all felt a little lacking in terms of flow through the cd, choice of songs and in terms of energy. There isn't anything wrong with the collection, it's just that it is one of those that you could take or leave. Having bought his collection from last year, this didn't quite meet the expectations.
on 18 April 2014
I purchased last years (2013) and really looked forward to this years. What a mistake, it is soooo melancholy. I am forcing myself to listen to it all but it so lacks life it is draining.
40 tracks by some good acts, with what can be great songs but they are sung like they have been to a funeral of a good friend before coming to the studio.
If you like this kind of stuff you may enjoy it, I like a bit of the blues myself, but this is different, depressing....
VINE VOICEon 13 April 2014
The photo is the clue, showing Dermot O'Leary channeling Val Doonican. The songs are mostly weak cover versions, although Back to Black achieves poignancy in the wake of Amy Winehouse's demise. The one real spark of imagination is the Turin Brakes' version of Chim Chim Cheree, which makes the most of the sparse lyrics by introducing a manic instrumental section and does its best to separate the song's genius from Dick Van Dyke's infamous butchering. The second disc is better, which at least provides some relief. I give that 4/5.
on 18 April 2014
I don't normally listen to the show, but I heard Foy Vance on the radio and his version of Where Everybody Knows Your Name. I loved it and bought this album. The whole album is a collection of mellow acoustic covers of songs, the perfect background to a mellow night. As a traditional master of the failed romantic atmosphere, I'm hoping this could be my secret weapon! Love it, and in Foys' case I think his version is better than the original.
on 1 July 2014
Just Brilliant -so much variety in music- easy listening and sometimes i have to have a double look at the unknown artist amazed at the justice they do to other artists songs
on 22 April 2014
Its hard to know what to make of Dermot sometimes - the faustian pact he signed with ITV hasn't stopped his Radio 2 show being an Oasis of adventure and calm in Radio 2's schedule.

All I know is that I love his taste in music, and this album is one of the best of his compilations - the highlight for me is Foy Vance, closely followed by Richard Hawley.

A brilliant soothing listen that whisks you away and allows you to reflect...
on 17 April 2014
Having bought each of the Saturday Sessions albums and really enjoyed the eclectic mix of artists and songs, I decided to buy this one too. However, it doesn't quite live up to the calibre of the others for me - I wasn't so taken with the choices (artists and songs) - so although it is OK I'm a bit disappointed overall.
on 10 July 2014
Great covers and originals for great listening. Love the picks and the series.
on 17 January 2015
I was hoping that it would be like the Radio 1 Live Lounge sessions but not quite up to that standard. Despite this, some very good covers including The Boxer, Mr Writer and I'm on Fire. Happy with disc one but not very impressed with disc 2. Still - just a personal opinion and you may like it a lot more!
on 26 April 2014
The true strength of a recording artist is in their ability to sing live and make unconventional songs their own. This album does just that. To be truly appreciated, it must be listened to in the sun with grass between your toes. Glass of wine optional.