Having read many books in this genre, I found this one very refreshing and original.

Published on 5 Dec 2006 by Mr. K. J. Santi

1.0 out of 5 stars FLOP
His first 3 books were brilliant but this is jumped-up techno rubbish.

Take out the jargon & a "little" story remains;Must try harder.
Published 15 months ago by Bombalone

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly reccomended and Original take on the sub thriller genre, 5 Dec 2006
Mr. K. J. Santi (South England) - See all my reviews

The lead character is a newbie to the world of submarines, having previously been an airforce pilot who was injured and is no longer able to fly. This background generates considerable friction with his new ship-mates, which is explored to superb effect during the first few weeks of our hero's first submarine patrol. This may sound dull, but its tense and dramatic stuff, which I really enjoyed reading. I found myself wondering why this sort of stuff was not done in detail before by other authors.

The second half of the book follows more familiar lines, with a secret mission to undertake. Again, there is originality with the author's ideas, with unexpected and interesting decisions made by the leading characters.

The conclusion sets itself up nicely for a sequel, which I will look forward to reading, I have nothing bad to say about this book, I highly recommend it to those who enjoy sub thrillers, and are looking for something a bit cleverer than the average read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing approach, 26 July 2007
This is the first book that I have read by Larry Bond. I would certainly place him in the same quality category as Clancy, Robinson, Brown and Buff. Bond spends a lot of time introducing and building up the characters and their interactions. The story is reasonably plausible although a little far-fetched in places, but that's why we geenrally like this genre! The book is not full of tonnes of close military action but there is suspense nonetheless. Thankfully, Bond has avoided the stereotypical Yankee 'yee ha' attitude that seems to prevail with some authors of this genre and this means that you are focussed on the plot instead. The book is very well written and the plot is constructed well. The only downside is that the ending seems just a little rushed and some of the interactions between characters, which have been established with great attention to detail throughout the book, are then neglected - a few 'loose ends' are left without any real closure. However, I would hertily recommend this book and I look forward to reading more from this author. If you want a full-on 'shoot-em-up' book, this is NOT the one for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than average submarine/military fiction, 7 Jan 2007
Martin Strandbygaard (Denmark) - See all my reviews
If you read a lot of paperbacks from Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Larry Bond (the author), a.o. you'll definitely like this book. It's better than the average "quick read airport paperback", and I can only recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts Poorly But Improves, 21 Aug 2013
C. Green "happily low brow" (Quenington, Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
My experience with Dangerous Ground is an odd one. Having read all of Larry Bond's previous works fiction I bought the book when it was first published in 2005. I started reading it, struggled with it for about fifty pages, gave up, put it on a bookshelf and then promptly forgot about it. Over the following months and years I would periodically think about taking it down and giving it another try, but memories of somewhat dull opening passages overly stuffed with the minutiae of life on board a nuclear submarine and slightly wooden dialogue put me off.

Even when the next book in the series, Cold Choices, was published I still couldn't bring myself to pick up Dangerous Ground again. It wasn't until I read and enjoyed Bond's Red Dragon Rising series co-authored with Jim DeFelice and noticed that a third 'Jerry Mitchell' novel, Exit Plan, had been published and a fourth was on its way that I finally thought maybe it was worth giving the series another stab. Eight years after buying Dangerous Ground I finally sat down and gave it a second chance, and guess what...its still full of slightly tedious details of day-to-day submarine operations and the dialogue is still lumpen.

However, if you persevere with it as I did this time around it slowly begins to improve. Whilst the dialogue remains pretty poor throughout, apart from when characters are shouting orders at one another, and there is no end to the amount of technical information Bond and his uncredited co-author are willing to cram into the narrative, the plot slowly begins to pick up and you do start to become genuinely involved with the crew of the USS Memphis and the fate of their mission. Suprisingly this is in-spite of the shoddy dialogue and some equally ropey character development.

By the time events come to a head in book's final quarter I found I was genuinely gripped and struggled to put the book down. It was enough to make me immediately order and then consume the sequel, Cold Choices, and I'm glad I did because it turned out to be far superior to its predecessor in every respect but also equally gripping.

So I regret giving up on Dangerous Ground first time around. Its a far from perfect book and you do have to be patient with it to get past the dull and leaden opening chapters, but overall it deserves four stars because I genuinely did like it and it allowed me to move on to its far superior sequel. Now, after a little break for other novels, Exit Plan awaits and when it hits paperback Shattered Trident. If only they would release all of them on the Kindle here in the UK.

1.0 out of 5 stars FLOP, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dangerous Ground (Hardcover)
His first 3 books were brilliant but this is jumped-up techno rubbish.

Take out the jargon & a "little" story remains;Must try harder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant!, 1 Feb 2013
J. Fowler - See all my reviews
This product is the most brilliant item I have ever bought and I really enjoy the simplicity that it brings.

5.0 out of 5 stars danger and professionalism of a demanding job that life on a submarine is actually like. I am sure anyone who has served on ..., 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Written with real insight to life on a submarine. Captures the mundane, routine, danger and professionalism of a demanding job that life on a submarine is actually like. I am sure anyone who has served on submarines will be able to connect with many of the characters from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuclear Environmental Clash, 18 Dec 2014
This is an outstanding novel in the cold war era which has a ring of truth in the relationship between politicians and the Military in America. The life on the submarine sounds realistic as doea the confrontation with the Soviets. Highly recommanded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Sep 2014
Good book great read will recommend the author and Seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Aug 2014