Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.18

on 25 February 2014
Having followed this author's website for several years, I knew this book was in the pipeline quite a while ago and have looked forward to reading it enormously. I wasn't disappointed. This is a very personal and intimate account of a life disabled. My only criticism would be the lack of background information about Mike's early years, family background and so on which I acknowledge wasn't the theme of this book, but would perhaps have illustrated even more vividly how disability affects all aspects of a person' life. I'm hoping the author will write more books and I will certainly read them all. I originally bought the Kindle version of this book, but have also ordered the paperback so that friends and family can read it too.
on 30 May 2015
I found this book through the author's blog, while searching for ways to sew 'DIY' modifications for my wheelchair. I'm incredibly glad I purchased it.

Mike's candid account of living 'a life disabled' has been humbling, humorous, poignant and also very informative. While our disabilities are not the same, I could identify with his drive and desire to remain independent and to keep going no matter what life throws at you.

The personal account of his own journey is completely engrossing and told with a steady soft narrative that led me to read the whole account in one sitting. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, whether dealing with disability or not.
on 16 March 2014
This book is a great read, but also a great guide to how life is with Inclusion Body Myositis. It has loads to useful tips and advice on how to avoid the costly pit falls of that are set for you, when you try to adapt your life to living with IBM.

I have had IBM for 14 years and wish that this book had been available earlier. Not just a must for IBM patients and their families, but for anyone with a neuromuscular disease.
on 8 February 2016
I gave this read 4 stars because it was easy to read and honest. IBM is rare and little info around to help sufferers. There are many links also to get even more advice. Best of all it was written from the heart by Mr Shirk.
on 6 April 2014
The book is a story of an incurable disease and is very informative for people with major changes to health/lifestyle thrust upon them based on one individuals experience in USA.
on 1 December 2014
well written described my condition well, lots of good information.