5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Day 'Pumping Iron'.
A must for any Bodybuilding fan and anyone interested in the lives of bodybuilders, contains some references to the Taboo nature of supplementation which makes a refreshing change rather than dismissing it.

Published 9 months ago by Damian Paine

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see a HD film on the subject at ...
An interesting bodybuilding film. It tries to build animosity between key players Heath - Green but for effect it seems.
There is no particular focus on training - predominantly on the mind games played pre Olympia. Nice to see a HD film on the subject at last, the film is made by Mickey Rourke's voice over.
Published 8 months ago by A. Wills

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Day 'Pumping Iron'., 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Generation Iron [DVD] (DVD)

Really is one to watch a couple of times and watch after the original 'Pumping Iron' film as I did, shows how cut throat and the personal nature of the sport.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Generation Iron [DVD] (DVD)
Without doubt one of the most well produced documentaries I have ever seen.

Not being a particularly big body-builder myself, yet having an interest, its an extremely well told and well paced piece of film making.

Whether a fan or not of this sport, you can but help marvel at the dedication of these guys.

5 stars hands down.

4.0 out of 5 stars The quality and narration is good IMO - the story moves forward - and you ..., 27 Jun. 2014
J. Jürs "Henrik Jürs" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generation Iron [DVD] (DVD)
As already stated - this is a documentary of the current age Bodybuilders - told much in the same way as "Pumping Iron" 30 years ago. The quality and narration is good IMO - the story moves forward - and you follow the suspense about who will win the Mr. O - that year (only exciting if you don't already know).
I havn't been following bodybuilding that much the last 10 years and what really blew me away was the size of these new guys - they are freaky!! Enormous!!
The drug issue is brought up and contrary to former days everybody admits doing steroids.
All in all I'm happy with this - only thing that bugs me is the mood in the feature - most of the guys come across as depressed, sad, negative, insecure - etc.
I don't if this is a genuine portrayal - of if it is the way the editor wan't us to see it?
But if you look back at Pumping Iron - Arnold came across as vibrant, a guy enjoying himself, a prankster - arrogant - but also charming. Most of these guys now comes across as if they are not really enjoying themselves?
So all in all a good film about the current Bodybuilding scene. I only miss a little more joy and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Generation Iron [DVD] (DVD)
I’m not really into fitness/bodybuilding but a friend told me about Generation iron and I thought I’d give it a try. I was really impressed, the quality was high and it went into such depth in regards to strength, both mental and physical. Whether or not you like this type of thing, the film is inspiring! I heard that it’s the sequel to Pumping Iron, so that’s next on my agenda to watch! I definitely would recommend Generation Iron and would watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BODYBUILDING FILM IN THE WORLD!, 22 Dec. 2014
Mrs. S. Clarke "Sue Clarke" (Tintagel,Cornwall) - See all my reviews
Without a shadow of ANY doubt, thee best bodybuilding film the world has ever seen. It gives you a glimpse into the world of us bodybuilders the way it truly is. Bodybuilding can be a very lonely place. With the constant diet/nutrition, training, resting/sleeping, mental exhaustion, it plays its part on us. But I wouldn't change it for the world! We are who we are, we live & breathe the sport. This film is very professional, well documented, and the voice of Mickey Rourke gives personal information about each individual. I have watched this film now twice in 6 days and it just never tires.........I could watch this again and again, why????????? Because what you see here is REAL. The intensity, the will,the power, the determination, the endurance, the mental focus to achieve the ultimate. Every bodybuilder on this film deserves the most utter respect! I bow my head to each & every one of you. But the one that stands out, and I give my total support in all I can, is the one and only KAI GREENE. He has "smelt" the aroma of victory on the stage a few times now, and has been SO SO SO close!!! Believe me people.........this absolute "God" of a bodybuilder WILL win the title one day. It may take time, and believe me it has. But.........Kai wil be the next Ronnie Coleman. Just you wait & see.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see a HD film on the subject at ..., 6 July 2014
A. Wills (Dorset England) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak in content, 19 Dec. 2014
A modern retake on the classic Pumping iron, but feels a lot more forced and lacks the humor and characters of the original. Overall far too much focus is put on trying to exaggerate the characters "plucky underdog from the streets" and "arrogant golden boy who has it easy" mixed in with cod philosophy and far too much scripting. These guys just arent as interesting or as glamorous as Arnie, Lou and others of the golden 70's generation.
Training sequences focus on gurning and dripping with sweat rather than giving a real insight into how they genuinely train or the wider issues in the sport.
Production values are high but it really does suffer from being paper thin in content.

Watch Pumping Iron instead or go to the gym.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
More training footage would have been better but still a great watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 July 2014
Good, interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this film!, 7 Jun. 2014
Great watch for anyone into bodybuilding, or not into bodybuilding.
Real insight into the sport. My wife even likes it :)

Generation Iron [DVD]
Generation Iron [DVD] by Micky Rourke (DVD - 2014)