2,135 Reviews
 (1,489)

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly brilliant
The author asks the reader to suspend disbelief right from the start. And I did.

Olivia is suddenly abandoned by her lover when he disappears. She is carrying his child. Then her parents are killed in a terrible accident. Reeling from despondency and loss, she is rescued by Robert, her knight in shining armour who takes care of her.

They marry, have...
Published 14 months ago by digsblues

2.0 out of 5 stars Too far fetched.
Published 9 months ago by A. R. Jacubs

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly brilliant, 17 Mar. 2014
digsblues (Oceanside, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)

They marry, have children together, but don't live happily ever after. Olivia feels like Robert is always watching and controlling her. Robert insists that his wife is stressed and forgetful. He makes excuses for her to the school when she fails to pick up their children. When he goes out for pizza with the kids, and doesn't return, Olivia calls the police. But seems it's a false alarm, according to Robert. He claims he told her he was taking them overnight to spend time with them, since they are all too close to their mother.

The story is told from 3 POVs, Olivia's, Robert's, and the detective in charge of the case. There is also input from the detective's partner, his would-be girlfriend, and Olivia's best friend. As a reader, I wasn't sure if Olivia (done in first person) was an unreliable narrator, or whether Robert was gaslighting his wife.

The author grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. I read it late into the night.

This is more of a dark psychological mystery. The fast action doesn't begin until the end of the book. So readers that love a lot of action may not like this. I loved it, and the end was a huge surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph!, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading the first two books by this author and so I've been waiting eagerly for Sleep Tight to come out. It's very rare these days that I can't stop reading a book but there is something about the way that the story unfolds that is riveting. The peeling back of each layer is done with such finesse that I found myself constantly reviewing what I already knew and in turn thinking I had it all sussed out before another little bit of information was revealed to throw everything up in the air again. This might sound like the author threw in red herrings and unnecessary twists and turns but it wasn't like that at all - it was just the way the story was revealed that was so perfectly done and then with such a nicely satisfying conclusion with all the lose ends perfectly dealt with. Brilliant! Even better that Rachel Abbott is becoming such a well-loved author without having to go down the traditional publishing route. I wish her much success for the future and can't wait for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
Could not put this book down, just such a good read, as are Rachel Abbott other books.
This book yet again makes you finish one chapter, and the just have to read the next one.
The twists in this book are so good, and yet so suttle that you do not see them coming. I read it in
Two days, but wish I had been more patient with my chapter frenzie, as now it is over. Waiting for the next
Book. I shall miss Tom, but not for too long I hope! No pressure Rachel!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A darned good read!, 25 Feb. 2014
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
Olivia is controlled by her husband Robert. He watches her even when they are in the same room. Early in the book, he takes the children away, telling her he’s taking them for a pizza, but doesn’t return straight way. She knows he is giving her a message here – what he will do if she leaves him. The story gathers momentum as we follow Liv’s point of view, her husband, her best friend and the police who try to fathom what has gone on, as Liv and the children go missing.

The writing as always, is excellent, and the beginning of the novel is tight and claustrophobic. It becomes tense and exciting as the hunt is on. Fans of the policeman Tom Douglas will be pleased to see him playing a lead role in the story. There are twists and turns in this tightly constructed plot and towards the end I felt my hear t racing as I hoped for a good outcome for a trio of innocent children. A darned good read!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too far fetched., 20 Aug. 2014
A. R. Jacubs (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of thrillers and detective novels but in all honesty I cannot recommend this book. It is to me a fairy tale, a Harry Potter world of outlandish circumstances and impossible coincidences. I really don't know why I completed the book but it was probably because I have only failed to read one or two books to the end in my life. What started as a reasonable mystery about where is Olivia turned into a pantomime. “Abbott creates a tangled web of deception, secrets, and red herrings” says one critic and indeed it is tangled – so tangled you will be forever looking back to check what the author is referring to. The description "psychological thriller” is something to be wary of in my experience. It gives the author carte blanche to be as outrageous as they may feel.

I realise I am in a very small minority here but as an experienced reader of this genre I have to say as I find. In all fiction one has to accept a certain stretching of points but this book goes way over the top and left me wondering what ridiculously far fetched circumstance was going to happen next.
I have not read either of Rachel Abbott's first two novels and after the boredom of reading Sleep I will not risk reading any more of hers. Maybe it's the coldness of Italy that is responsible but I truly wish Rachel had kept up her day job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling Psychological Thriller, 25 Feb. 2014
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
Rachel Abbott has crafted a plot that fairly zips along, packed with action, thrills and emotion. From the opening chapters, an atmosphere of unease and tension is evident within the marriage between Robert and Olivia Brookes, who have three small children. The reasons for this become clearer as the storyline progresses. Robert is a manipulative control-freak, possessive of his wife and her activities. Protection of her children is Olivia's priority as the feelings of mistrust and suspicion build up between the couple whose relationship seems to be founded on a mixture of truth, lies and mind games. Olivia is fully aware of her trapped predicament.

Robert returns home from a business conference to find Olivia and the children have disappeared into thin air. The house is immaculate and nothing is missing. The police become involved, not for the first time with the family members. DCI Tom Douglas and DI Becky Robinson take charge of the missing persons' investigation. Little do they know the adventure they are taking on that encompasses events full of subterfuge, intrigue, and mystery.

The narrative is ingeniously created maintaining a page-turning tension that is riveting right up to the pulsating nail-biting climax. The characters and the locations are believable and readily pictured. The twists during the build-up with the later revelations are totally unexpected. The ploys and planning are quite brilliant. A captivating and thoroughly enjoyable, well-written novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best reads for a long, long' long time, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
My first Rachel Abbott, the Back Road, defeated me in the first 50 pages. This one is brilliant. I shall return to the 'Back' later.

This story is well written and the characters intriguing and beautifully 'painted' in words. I shall remember this book for a long. long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant page turner, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Paperback)
A fantastic thriller. Gripping from the first few pages, as we see a young woman followed home the pub and then we're thrown into Olivia's terror when husband Robert disappears with her children. When he reappears he has a chilling warning for Olivia. Then two years later we find that Olivia and the children are missing, yet her car is in the garage and her bag on the kitchen table ...

What I particularly enjoyed is the way the story is told from the different perspectives of key characters. The characterisation is very strong, and the short snappy chapters with tense, fast paced storyline make you want to keep turning the pages. Just when you think you know what's going on, there is another revelation, and this story is truly chilling at times.

The first book I've read by this author but it won't be the last. Absolutely brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Very Good Story, 6 Aug. 2014
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
This was another very good story and I flew through the first two-thirds but then got a little bogged down as it got terribly confusing in places, I found. There were a few clever red herrings thrown in which I won't mention here, though, as I don't like spoilers.
However, the editing was a lot better in this third book by this author. There was the odd error, like "not only has Robert has never met"...and a couple of dropped speechmarks here and there but that was it which pleased this reader.
I felt for the kids in the story having to keep secrets they were too young to take on board but their parent certainly had good reason. All the way through I thought this person was the baddie then the other so it keeps you on your toes.
I look forward to the next one by her for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars spine tingling with terror, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
Rachel captured psychological terror to the letter. I was enthralled and stayed up till the early hours to finish the book and then dreamed about it

Sleep Tight