5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand all the bad reviews...
... I think this book is amazing!!

Published on 1 Jan. 2011 by Littlelinney

2.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned, outdated, far too religious
I was looking for a book that could give me practical tips and tricks on dating. I read and loved the "Why men love bitches" and "Why men marry bitches" and wanted something similar from a men's view. I was very disappointed.

Published on 24 Jan. 2013 by Reader n+1

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand all the bad reviews..., 1 Jan. 2011
... I think this book is amazing!!

To start off with, I'm 21. I don't think this book is at all old fashioned. This book is the reason why the guy I'm currently dating opens the car door for me every single time HE takes ME out. Which is every time I see him. This is the reason he lets me walk inside and outside through the door he is holding open for me EVERY TIME there is a door in sight. Girls. This book teaches you how to behave so that your man treats you like a lady - and I don't know about you, but being treated like a lady makes me feel AMAZING!

There is a giggle on every page of this book and it is SO easy to read. I have reread it quite a few times and every time it gets me laughing. This advice is coming from a man, so in that respect, it's refreshing but there's also that feeling that you know it's probably better than some books like this written by women. There are real life scenarios in this book that hammer home some very basic, very simple points about men, from a man's perspective. That include how you know if he thinks you're a keeper, and how to keep a man happy in very simple ways.

After reading this book - I love men more than I thought I did before. They are such simple creatures, and you know what? All you have to do is know that you're worth their time and effort, and the rest just falls into place.

I haven't tried to get picked up every time I meet the guy I'm dating. He just offers. I didn't ask to have him open the car door. He just did. I don't ask for doors to be held open, I just smile and say thank you after every single time. I don't ask for him to pay for everything, I let him. I didn't initiate the hand holding, or the cuddle in the cimema. He did all of the above, and I let him. I acted like a lady, with the knowledge of a man. And to this book, I owe my thanks, because he seems to be perfectly happy to do all of the above!!

Don't hesitate girls, buy this book. I read it in one sitting and I still can't put it down!

2.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned, outdated, far too religious, 24 Jan. 2013

It actually suggests that you shouldnt have sex with THE ONE for 3 entire months. Its fine to play hard to get for 5-10 or lets say even 15 dates, but 3 months? oh please....

It also suggests that you should ask the guy ON the first date or BEFORE (on a phone call) what is his view on relationships, whats his relationship with his mother, father and how he sees an ideal one. Crazy. It would scare the hell out of most men.

While the idea behind all these books are the very same, and there are even identical sentences in it, this book is old fashioned and outdated. It gives you discussions that may have taken place in the 90's but definitely not in 2013. Act like a lady doesnt mean you have to speak like Audrey Hepburn. You can get over the sme message in a less formal way. There are far too many references to God, the Lord, Jesus, etc. I am a 34 year old, non religious European woman. Instead of putting it on every second page, he could have added a section on religious dating.

I didnt find the book useful at all, it was not entertaining either. I recommend the "Why men marry bitches". It is far more pratical, useful and very entertaining to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think like a man!, 15 Jan. 2011
I was sceptical about a comdedian writing about relationships hey what does he know............ however!! i could relate to some of what he said in his book, i liked the fact he acknowledge he got help and re- sourced his informaiton from, not only his male compaions but from his female informative too.

It was funny in area's but did tackle what some of us ladies do think when it comes to "bagging" a husband, don't look at me i'm already married so i done my bit........

anyway on a serious note, this book does come from a point of view from a black man living in the States and although i can relate to that, (hey I'm a sista), not every female could, in the sense of the jokes and how maybe he's looking at the issue from a "brother's" view and not overall........ In saying that, it's a good read and keeps a smile on your face aat times..........

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read, dont believe the bad reviews, 7 Feb. 2011
Firstly i cannot understand how this book got bad reviews, i suspect the women who gave such reviews have never had any male friends, and base there naive assumptions on men based around dinner parties they attend where they make small talk with there friends husbands.

i used to be ''one of the lads'' , i had huge group of male friends.. went on holidays with them, was out with them every weekend.. and im telling you now that 95% of them are cheats and think with there genitals and the way that Steve decribes men is very accurate. My boyfriend is my best friend and hes told me some of the stuff that Steve mentions in the book many a time before.

Of course, some things he says are opinions.. such as every decent man should go to church... but the basic principles are all absolutly on the money.. it was strange reading it because everything he said i could relate to my boyfriend and the way he acts..

i would highly recommend this book to all women, it definetly gives you an insight and although i knew quite a lot of the stuff already due to me having a lot of inside knoledge on men due to my friendships with them.. it definatly taught me some things that i will be applying, and il be handing this book down to my daugthers 1 day.

only reason i havent given it 5 stars is because i thought it could of been longer and he could of gone into more issues.

be open minded and willing to accept that men are different to women..

update 2012..... I felt the need to edit my review and add things to it, as reading some of the bad reviews i felt i must defend Steve and the message he is trying to put across.

He is NOT underminding women, he is telling you how IT IS and how it is actually US that control the relationship. Just because he encourages women to use their feminine charm and assert yourself as a woman doesnt mean he is asking you to belittle yourself, far from it! He is simply stating the fact, if you want the best from your man, then be a lady in every way, so be can be the man that you need!

Remember that we are HUMAN. yes we live in the 21st century and in an era of equal oppertunity, and rightfully so, but men are MEN and women are WOMEN.

I love being feminine and everything that comes with it, and personally as a woman i like to be percieved as sexy but in a classy way and i love being protected by my boyfriend... I like being his possession but that doesnt mean that i or Steve mean ''possession'' as literally some object or door mat, we mean being a mans queen!

And youve got to remember girls... men dont ever really grow up. just like small children or dogs you have to have standards and boundarys with them, or they tend to take the micky in a relationship!

There are aspects of men i find hard to stomach and i cant comprehend, but honestly, what Steve is saying is the TRUTH and if you dont like it then continue to live in blissful ignorance.

Women need to realise that being born in our gender is something to be celebrated, we dont need to be equal to men in every single way. In a lot of ways we are stronger then them but i think every woman should revel in her sexuality and let the girls be the girls and let the boys be the boys, and realise ITS NOT BELITTLING, its only belitting to assume there is something wrong with being a lady and letting him be a man!

ok rant over haha! enjoy the book x

1.0 out of 5 stars utter garbage, 18 Mar. 2013
This book is written by a man who believes if a man isnt into "god" hes not a suitable boyfriend/partner, and that its a good idea to introduce your new man to your kids immediately! He writes this book as if every woman is looking for a husband or potential replacement father to her kids! He advises asking questions BEFORE the first date, regarding a guys life plans etc. This would make any man run a mile! And words are cheap, actionsspeak volumes ladies, dont listen to this guy, hes off his head!

1.0 out of 5 stars Steve Harvey is a hypocrite, 18 Dec. 2011
Having read alot of the varying reviews I really wasnt sure whether I wanted to spend my hard earned money on this book but being open minded I decided to read it for myself and form my own opinion. One of the first things that annoyed me was that the author discouraged his wife to continue the sports she enjoyed-diving and parasailing because he couldnt handle it! He acted like a child on the dive boat,making such a fuss and asking the instructors to bring his wife back up from the dive, undermining her capabilities. She gave up these pursuits to pacify him. Now just turn the tables and I can assure you that most men if asked to give up a sport they had a passion for, would not.
Further in the book he even writes how much he has a passion and thrill for fishing on the deck of a boat on the open water;the exhilaration of catching a fish and how he "craves the sudden explosion of adrenaline". His wife didn't throw her toys out of the pram and persuaded him not to go fishing because he may have fallen overboard in his pursuit of a sport HE loves!
So he now has his once "adventurous" wife at home cooking for him!
This man is very open with how men view women. I was hoping this book would guide me.In my opinion it has put me off wanting to be with a man!
This book shows how clearly men are focused on one thing- the "cookie" and exposes men as manipulative to get what they want out of a relationship and that women had basically 'tow the line' or their man will find "cookie" with someone else.
Is that really fair to ask women to get standards?- I'd call that double standards on his part.
Yes I definitely get your drift Steve Harvey.You say men consider women as prey! What a horrible thought.
I wouldnt bother wasting your money on this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe good for the 1950, 12 Feb. 2015
Steve Harvey is stuck in the 1950: he claimed that women should not date atheists because they have no moral barometer. Pure hypocrisy because he confess in the same book that he cheated on his wife... and it's a normal thing for him!!!
This is the worst book I've tried to read, tried because I couldn't go on after the first half: the second is even more sanctimonious and annoying.
Following these suggestions you'll probably just find a sexist-churchy-hypocrit guy and you'll end up acting like his maid.
I recommend you Sherry Argov, Allan and Barbara Pease or John Gray's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! Tried & Tested, 18 May 2011
Not only is Steve funny but he now writes the truth. He writes in a simple and concise language which is easy to digest and most importantly remember! He magically uses his life experiences as a father, husband and man to offer us women a clear and direct balance into the minds of men. As they say "practice makes perfect" so I did, using the chapter The Five Questions Every Woman Should Ask Before Getting in Too Deep, Question 4: What do you THINK about me? And Question 5: How do you FEEL about me? Firstly they ARE 2 very different questions warranting 2 very different answers. In order for me to try this I had to truly "Over-stand" as opposed to just "understand". I ask the first question to a male friend of mine who has been hanging around for a good few years and with hindsight, implied that he was very interested. I ask him the first question (What do you think about me?). He said "you're very beautiful, intelligent, and independent; you attain very high standards to which you really know what you want from a relationship and a partner in order to build a future. You are in NO rush in meeting this person and will not compromise your virtue for fun. Although, you may have difficulty finding this person that is if he really exists". With a smile on my face and feeling very good about myself, I believed the persona I have been projecting to men was working. I asked him the second question (How do you feel about me?) He replied, "I feel like I'd really like to have a passionate embrace with you" I repeated the question several time to ensure the understood and he just repeated his answer.
Had I had not read this book I would have believed that this friend of mine (whom I have never dated) was secretly really into me.................. I now realised that what he was in fact saying was "you have such high standards to which I cannot comprehend or fulfil, I believe that no man can, or will be willing to and you will be waiting a very long time (not in your life time) to meet him, so I'd like to have a sexual encounter with you"
I am still in shock! Girlfriends, if you are planning to get in a relationship, READ THIS BOOK.

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor excuse for a book, 18 April 2011
To quote another reviewer here "This book teaches you how to behave so that your man treats you like a lady". Sorry but if your man doesn't treat you like a lady from the get-go, then he's not worth it. We shouldn't need to behave a certain way just to be treated with respect and politeness? I got to page 70 of this book and gave up, it's such cack. So many sweeping generalisations and pigeonholing and I got sick of him banging on about "the cookie" (sex). One look at his photo on the back of the book will give you an idea of the quality of this book - ie there is none. White suit, cheesy smile. Save your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand all the good reviews..., 8 Dec. 2012
I'm actually quite amazed that this book got so many good reviews. I've read quite a few dating/relationship books as I like to stay at the top of my game. As with anything in life, if you want to be good at something, you need to do your research. I've read books in this genre written by women, men and co-authored by men and women. Just because this book is written by a man DOES NOT MEAN IT IS GOSPEL. There is one fundamental flaw with this book which makes it lose a lot of its credibility for me. Steve Harvey has not done ANY research, no focus groups, no interviews, nada. This whole book is his opinion and nothing more. Now I think any woman who knows anything knows that each of their male friends have a slightly different opinion on dating which means this book gives a view that is not backed up by anything. Oh yes sorry, he does say he has asked a few of his buddies what they think (many of which who are celebs, so that's definitely keeping it real).

Most of what he says you can probably get away with and do OK, but there were a couple of major points in his book which having done my own research, and many experts in the field will tell you, is fundamentally flawed. One example, is that you need to tell a guy as soon as you're "remotely attracted" to a man what you want in a relationship, which in most cases is probably going to be a serious one. The problem with this is:

a) You've just told a man you probably barely know that you want a serious relationship with him. That says to him you want a relationship with ANY man. He's not special, he doesn't need to earn that position, and he can sit back, crack a beer and let you do all the hard work because he knows you want a serious relationship.

b) He now knows exactly what he needs to say and do to get you into bed and string you along until he gets bored of you. Pretend he's in a serious relationship with you.

Men know all women want a serious relationship, it's not quantum physics. The woman that captures a man's interest is that one that is not predictable. Don't get me wrong, she has standards, she won't tolerate disrespect, but she's not going to give the game away either. Unpredictable = interesting. Predictable = boring. It may be a hard pill to swallow, but let's face it, men are not women, and women not men. They do not think the same AT ALL. Even Steve Harvey will tell you this.

And as for the cheating, if you believe Steve Harvey you'll have the impression that about 90% of men cheat and about 1% of women do. Statistically speaking about 20% of men cheat, and roughly the same amount of women do. That's not to say what Harvey says about preventing cheating is wrong, he's pretty much on the mark, but it only goes to demonstrate his reality (which is mostly based in show-biz) is not the same for the vast majority of the population.

This book is mediocre at best, it's not that funny, it's not backed up by any evidence, and the content and examples are poor it's hard to take much of it seriously. If you want a good book I recommend Sherry Argov 'Why Men Prefer Bitches' and/or 'Why Men Marry Bitches'. There is a good reason why they have excellent reviews (mind boggles why Harvey's book has), they're factual, based on much evidence and even funny. Don't be put off by the title though, Bitch stands for Babe In Total Control of Herself. And that's what it's all about.