5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!
I really loved this collection of three short stories based in Wales.

Published 8 months ago by Bodicia

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
not bad book for a short read. Was nice to read something local, would recommend them if you like short reads xx
Published 9 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 13 May 2014
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this collection of three short stories based in Wales.

Home Sweet Home – The build up with its twists and turns was really gripping and just when I thought I had it all figured out I then realised how wrong I was when I turned the page. Mel packs up her bag and leaves her fiance and his interfering mother behind her as she heads out on the road. She ends up at Callum’s sister’s bed and breakfast and he offers her a place to stay. His place and what a place it turns out to be…

A Long Way From Home – Mal comes back from Australia to his native homeland to give his eldest daughter away at her wedding. The ‘Yes’ man his ex-wife left him for is holding court with the guests and playing the perfect step-father but is life really as rosy as it seems? Mal’s youngest daughter gives him a question to ponder in this thought provoking story.

Home Is Where The Heart Is – A romance between those who live on opposite sides of the pond looks over before it begins in this tale of an instant attraction between Morgan and Casey.

Jan Ruth really does know how to tug at the emotions of her readers and I’m not just talking about the romantic side. Two of these stories have a darker touch with the cleverly written Home Sweet Home in particular being one to make you think.

I have yet to meet a story penned by Jan Ruth I didn’t like. Fabulous!

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely collection, 15 Aug. 2014
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
This is a trio of short stories all on the theme of being far from home. One shows us a young woman, living with her boyfriend’s family, escaping the claustrophobia. In this story I loved the way I didn’t know what I thought I knew!
In the next, a father travels back from Australia to give his daughter away in marriage. The mother’s new relationship muscles in and things don’t go the way he would have liked. The man who goes back to Australia isn’t the same as when he came. He has additional baggage.
In the final story a single businessman meets the woman of his dreams but sadly, she’s a business contact from the US and she goes home. Once again, the author lets us think we know what’s going on.

This is a lovely collection of stories with a romantic theme though they aren’t all heart and flowers. Very nicely written and short enough to be a good filler between longer books – I read them on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Long Way From Home, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
I was given an ARC copy of A Long Way From Home by the author.

Using the Welsh countryside as a canvas, Jan Ruth weaves her stories while exploring complicated relationships. The book consists of three short stories of a good length, each meaty enough for a good read. The twists and turns had me reading faster and faster as I tried to uncover the truth. The wedding story was my favourite, leaving just enough threads untied to keep the story in my head for days afterwards. Highly recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine trio of shorts!, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
I was given an ARC of this new short story collection. My review is an honest account of my feelings. I enjoyed the three stories very much. All well-written in the author's distinctive style. The stories, set in and around North Wales, have vivid descriptions of the area, the countryside and the buildings we visit and show the author's love of her adopted homeland. The characters are well rounded and easy to get along with. Each story has a very different theme of home and relationships, some humor, and endings that will leave you wondering... A highly recommended read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good company, 18 Aug. 2014
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
I liked these three short stories with their linked theme and strong narrative thrust. In the first one especially, Home Sweet Home, the author gives us two well-drawn characters and plays with our sympathies as the story progresses. Who is the victim, is there a victim? The second is a convincing portrayal of a long-distance father-daughter relationship and again our feelings change as a number of truths emerge. The last one was less engaging for me but still had good entertainment value. An evening's reading in good company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
As always, Jan Ruth delivers three beautifully written long/short stories. I loved every one of them and found the open endings on a couple of them quite intriguing. I'm not going to spoil the endings for other people as I hope they will make up their own minds, but I think these stories show how Jan has grown as a writer and is using her own experiences to fire her imagination. This can only be good news for her and her readers. I cannot recommend this book highly enough and look forward to another full-length novel asap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trio of short stories., 2 May 2014
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
Set in the North wales countryside 3 very different short stories with lots of twist and turns that keep you guessing to the very end. Another well written book by Jan Ruth. Would recommend reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 23 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A great trio of short stories, 21 April 2014
Mrs. Sally P. Stackhouse (kent, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
A trio of stories set within a Welsh backdrop exploring succinctly the lives of three very different groups of people.

‘Home Sweet Home’ starts off with two broken relationships and the victims coming together accidently. This story is slightly sinister in places leaving the impression that things may not be as cosy as they seem.

‘A Long Way from Home’ is set from the perspective of a returning father from Australia to attend his daughter’s wedding after the break-up of his marriage. A slightly humorous take on the lack of communication of the extended family dynamics with a surprising twist at the end.

‘Home to Where the Heart Is’ is a love-at-first sight romance involving a hard hearted American business man who brings his daughter-in-law to help him acquire a picturesque Welsh manor to turn in to a chain of American hotels. The relationship has the potential to develop.

Three great short stories that leave you wanting to know more about the characters described in each story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trio of terrific tales!, 3 April 2014
Leri (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Long Way From Home (Kindle Edition)
Loved these stories from Jan Ruth, have loved her full length novels in the past and when I started reading the first story I was worried I would be disappointed at short stories, and want to know more about the characters, but actually there is just enough detail painted in and the stories work really well. It must be hard to be able to write a full length and then have the discipline to then be able to reign the characters in to a short story.
I enjoyed the setting of the stories as the areas mentioned are local to me.
I really enjoyed all three stories, I enjoyed the unexpected twists, the last story was my favourite, but all three were really great.
Now looking forward to the next book :)

A Long Way From Home