5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 6 months ago by Jennie Lancashire border

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT BAD
.Quite a nice little tale with good characters in it. What spoiled it for me for the pseudo medieval language and the annoying American spelling of words which just didn't fit with the 12th century. A lot other writers of this era use modern language with no adverse effect.
Published 5 months ago by Mr G Sampson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Season of the Raven (A Servant of the Crown Mystery) (Kindle Edition)
As a long time fan of Bernard Knight's Crowner series I approached this book cynically. How can any writer, particularly an American, hope to equal these books? Well, I am here to admit that I was wrong. I was enthralled from the start by the two main characters especially the monk. My only criticism is the American spellings and phrasing but after a while I stopped noticing - an unusual occurrence for me and a complement to the author. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 22 Feb 2014
Angela Lyon "ally" (cambrideshire) - See all my reviews
Anyone who has read and loved the Crowner John series will welcome this new series by Denise Domning . This is a well written story with twists in the tale that left me guessing till the end. I look forward to more in this series. This is so different from her medieval romances the seasons that I also enjoyed very much but I look forward to meeting more of the characters from the seasons in this great new series of hers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very promising start to a new series by a favourite author, 29 Aug 2014
S. Farnaby (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read Denise Domning's books before I was pleased to find this one in a five part 'box-set' on kindle. I have read and enjoyed the Crowner John books by Bernard Knight and wondered if this would compare. It does, and very favourably. I do like Ms Domning's use of archaic language and enjoy adding new words to my vocabulary. I also enjoyed the inclusion of characters from the Seasons series and look forward to reading more of this series too. The only downside for me is American spelling in a book set in 12th Century.

4.0 out of 5 stars For fans of Criwner John, 19 July 2014
J. Owston (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, having purchased it because I have previously enjoyed the 'Crowner John' books. This is in a similar vein. I liked the characters who populate the village in the story - they're humorous, greedy, jealous and compassionate. In other words, just like people now! Which is one of the reasons why the book works. I look forward to another adventure in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever plotting and interesting characters., 4 Jun 2014
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What an absolutely wonderful reading experience this book was for me. I read lots and lots of mysteries, trying to choose historical pieces when possible. This is the first historical mystery written by Denise Domning, though not her first published novel. As evidenced by this book, I think she is quite an accomplished author. I absolutely loved the fact that she had her characters investigating almost the entire time span of this book. So often novels set in this time period (twelfth century England) get bogged down in details of what life was like. I am thrilled to say there was not one recounting of a chamber pot being emptied over pedestrians as they walked along the roadway, no privy or latrine descriptions, and no rats running across people as they tried to sleep. Mentioning those items isn't a bad thing, fixating on them happens all too often in some books and that can simply ruin that book for me.

I think it was very clever of Ms. Domning to allow the reader to learn the duties of The Keeper of the Pleas, coronaries, or crowner along with a twenty-four year old penniless second son just back from the crusades, Sir Faucon de Ramis. This way Brother Edmund, a Benedictine monk acting as legal scribe, can acquaint the reader as well as Sir Faucon with laws and rules of office without the information seeming to be pulled directly from research books. Brother Edmund and Sir Faucon are called very quickly to investigate the death of the miller in a nearby village and arrive just in time to keep the sheriff of the shire from declaring the death an accident. Upon close investigation it is shown to be much different than an accidental death and having far reaching consequences.

This is the first novel in a series and there is a story going on in the background which is not resolved, but will carry over into another book. This wasn't presented so much as a cliffhanger as a method for showing that Sir Faucon's work regarding what is happening in this small community is not entirely settled yet. This first novel was so impressive it makes me want to be sure I'm ready to read any future books which follow in this series.

I received an ARC of this novel through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars readable, 11 April 2014
quite enjoyed this , different to others I have read but found it an easy story to get into .

5.0 out of 5 stars good start to a series???, 27 Mar 2014
This is a good start to what, hopefully, will be a series of books about a Crowner....lots of info on what his job entails, and I learnt with him as he went along. Great start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 22 Mar 2014
P. Waddington (UK) - See all my reviews
The bar has been set very high by the Crowner John series and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this book had solid historical detail to back up a well-plotted storyline. However, pseudo-medieval terminology (such as using the term 'twain' every so often) interrupts the flow of the text and gives the unfortunate impression that the author is floundering, as well as being intensely irritating.

I did enjoy the book, and liked the lead characters, so will be watching out for the next in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT BAD, 20 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from the start, 20 Mar 2014
this medieval murder mystery is as good as any I have read. I look forward to the next in the series.