Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 25 November 2011
Every so often, a new band appears seemingly out of nowhere & release a debut album that is so completely lovely that you wonder what you ever did without it. Just such a band are Foster The People & just such an album is Torches. I fell in love with it on first listen & I knew then, that it was going to feature very high in my albums of the year! The lead single Pumped Up Kicks was the song that inspired me to get the album. Its a curious, mellow song underpinned by an insidious beat & has slightly muffled vocals in the verses before bursting into a simple but glorious chorus. It was a real sleeper hit single - hanging around the charts for ages. The whole album is filled with songs that sound so simple & effortless & all the songs have razor sharp hooklines & killer choruses. Helena Beat, Waste, Don't Stop, Call It What You Want....I could go on...& I will, about one song in particular which hit me like some divine hammer the first time I heard it. The song in question is I Would Do Anything For You & its the sweetest, sunshiniest & just most downright adorable song you could hope to hear. Angelic vocals sing achingly sweet words in the verses & kick into a chorus that is so simple & so completely & utterly joyful, you can't help but bounce around the room. My niece, who was 4 years old when she heard it, adores this song & does a cute little dance & sings along to it! Its about the joys of being in love & oh my, the song just perfectly conveys the wonderful feeling of having someone in your life that you love more than anything. I adore that song, I adore this album & I adore this band! Buy it NOW & bring some perfect indie-pop sunshine into your life! :D
44 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
Like many people I'd imagine, indie pop band Foster the People first came to my attention via the hit single 'Pumped Up Kicks', which is one of those rare tunes that no matter how many times I hear it (and that has been a lot), it just never gets old. I bought 'Torches', their debut, and fell in love with it straight away.

Although the band do have heavy shades of MGMT and Two Door Cinema Club, Foster the People definitely have their own sound. All of the songs here are so upbeat, catchy-as-hell, and my idea of perfect indie-pop music. As good as 'Pumped Up Kids' is, don't assume that it is the only stand-out on 'Torches' and the rest won't hold up as well, it isn't even the best song. Other highlights include the sweet 'Waste' and the cool 'Helena Beat', which instantly lifts my mood onto a high.

This is wonderfully melodic music, complete with very crisp vocals, and first-class production. Don't let 'Torches' slip past you, it's an amazing album I can recommend to all lovers of good indie music.
on 18 January 2013
Quirky musical mishmash of styles underlined by decent musicianship. I'm a sucker for a groovy bass riff and bought the album for that alone on Pumped Up Kicks but there's at least one other standout track on this.
on 22 October 2011
I got hooked into Foster the People after listening to Pumped up Kicks and Helena Beat. So off I go to get their CD and I am not disappointed.

Foster the People has a lot of drum arrangement, guitar bashing and ecelectic mix featured in most of their songs.I personally love the drum beat arrangement at the start of the songs, in the middle and everywhere! It reminded me a lot - of sunshine, sitting on a grass or on a beach on a beauty day which music like this playing at the back. It has such a good vibe feel to it. I can see why some people say the music is almost bland and similar as the drum arrangement is featured prominently in all their songs and if you are not paying attention to each music it does sound almost as if it is the same. But it is not. It is I suppose their music style.

It's not strictly dance music - one of the song reminds me of Basement Jaxx but nothing like theirs! Then you listen again and you think you are listening to Scissor Sisters but with a punch. And at some stage you get reminded of the happy vibrations you get listening to Shapeshifters Incredible.

The vocals are both female and male and I do like that.

CD is good - good vibe, good feelings, punchy and reminds you of a warm outdoor sessions. However stay away from Foster the People if you don't like loud music.
on 26 May 2014
When I heard Pumped Up Kicks played on the radio, I was hooked and had to buy this album. I bought this around two years ago and incredibly it's still in the CD player in the car, which make is easily the most listened to CD in my collection. Unusually for an album, there are no duff tracks. I find that when I buy music, I play it over and over and I get bored. I'm still waiting for that to happen with this album.
on 15 September 2011
Previous to the day I bought this album, I hadn't heard any Foster The People before, but while browsing some recently released music I came across this. Having listened to some longer snippets of the songs on the iTunes store, I really liked their style - catchy and upbeat. Listening to "Houdini" made me buy it off Amazon in the end, simply because I found myself going back again and again to listen to the excerpt!

I was not disappointed at all! This album is right up my street. Their synthetic, catchy melodies sometimes remind me of MGMT, but with less noise (don't get me wrong, I like MGMT, but know what I mean?) and more foot-tapping beats. This is more chilled out, and more accomplished in my opinion, in terms of lyrics and the actual music. So if you like that sort of synthetic/indie/pop sort of sound, like MGMT and Empire of The Sun, I'm pretty confident you'll like this.

Personal favourites include "Houdini", "Call It What You Want", "Pumped Up Kicks" and "I Would Do Anything For You".
on 13 February 2012
After hearing one of thier tracks "Pumped Up Kicks" after watching Friends with Benefits, I held on watching the credits (while falling asleep) to hear this song for the first time. I instantly youtubed the band for a few songs, some really great and decided to give them a try!

Well, after listening to the album a good fair few times now, I am hooked and impressed with the style of music this is. Their track "Call it what you want" is resonate of 80's style electronica with a distinctive vibe that pulls you in. The rest of the album is so varied it is hardly worth genre-ing this band into a distintive musical group. If you enjoy diverse electronic, mixed with some great rythm based tunes, some fab vocals a brilliant bass line, this band is for you.

I have also seen a few live video performances and am excited at the potential this band has, definately give them a try!
on 22 August 2011
Heard a snatch of Pumped Up Kicks on the radio and it drove me mad until I found out what it was. As soon as I did I bought the album. Absolutely love it. Really funky.
on 17 January 2012
This album deserves more than 5 stars so I give it a 10 out of 10, this is a must have album, if you loved Pumped up Kicks you will love the whole album, my personal favourite song is Houdini. I got the album for Christmas and ever since I haven't stopped listening to it, I was surprised with the music because usually on an album there are a couple of tracks that I don't like and there are only a couple of bands that I really like who manage to get me to like every song and now Foster the People are one of those bands I love every song on this album, and you'll be dancing from the start to finish. I never get tired of listening to the album and I suggest this to everyone!
on 11 June 2012
This band are great! Torches is a summery debut album. The highlights are Waste,Houdini,Helena beat,call it what you want and most of all Pumped up kicks,the summer anthem of a barbeque for indie people.