5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than just Punped Up Kicks!
Published on 25 Nov 2011 by Al_73

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Music Strikes Again
Whilst the album is a lot better than some of the stuff out there at the minutes I feel that they are playing a little to safe. I'm not gonna be saving this for my kids in the distant future or anything. Good first listen but that was all I needed.
Published on 12 Feb 2012 by thisiskyles

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than just Punped Up Kicks!, 25 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
Every so often, a new band appears seemingly out of nowhere & release a debut album that is so completely lovely that you wonder what you ever did without it. Just such a band are Foster The People & just such an album is Torches. I fell in love with it on first listen & I knew then, that it was going to feature very high in my albums of the year! The lead single Pumped Up Kicks was the song that inspired me to get the album. Its a curious, mellow song underpinned by an insidious beat & has slightly muffled vocals in the verses before bursting into a simple but glorious chorus. It was a real sleeper hit single - hanging around the charts for ages. The whole album is filled with songs that sound so simple & effortless & all the songs have razor sharp hooklines & killer choruses. Helena Beat, Waste, Don't Stop, Call It What You Want....I could go on...& I will, about one song in particular which hit me like some divine hammer the first time I heard it. The song in question is I Would Do Anything For You & its the sweetest, sunshiniest & just most downright adorable song you could hope to hear. Angelic vocals sing achingly sweet words in the verses & kick into a chorus that is so simple & so completely & utterly joyful, you can't help but bounce around the room. My niece, who was 4 years old when she heard it, adores this song & does a cute little dance & sings along to it! Its about the joys of being in love & oh my, the song just perfectly conveys the wonderful feeling of having someone in your life that you love more than anything. I adore that song, I adore this album & I adore this band! Buy it NOW & bring some perfect indie-pop sunshine into your life! :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Shameless Carriers of the Indie-pop Torch, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
Let's get it out of the way immediately - Torches is immensely contagious, an audacious indie-pop record. It doesn't always click - but when it does, it's impossible to keep one's feet still.

Pumped Up Kicks is this year's ubiquitous indie-pop crossover - even after many listens, it refuses to lose impact. But does the rest of the album stick quite so successfully? The answer is both yes and no - although more of the former. Opener Helena Beat tries unsuccessfully to re-bottle lightning like their breakthrough hit, but doesn't have similar legs.

Call It What You Want and Houdini, on the other hand, suggest that Foster The People have what it takes to stick around much longer - they hint of the clichéd, but are so joyous and effervescent they render resistance futile. It's not all so golden, but there's enough here to delight in and plenty to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catchy Riffs and a couple of hits, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
Quirky musical mishmash of styles underlined by decent musicianship. I'm a sucker for a groovy bass riff and bought the album for that alone on Pumped Up Kicks but there's at least one other standout track on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
When I heard Pumped Up Kicks played on the radio, I was hooked and had to buy this album. I bought this around two years ago and incredibly it's still in the CD player in the car, which make is easily the most listened to CD in my collection. Unusually for an album, there are no duff tracks. I find that when I buy music, I play it over and over and I get bored. I'm still waiting for that to happen with this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music!, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
This band are great! Torches is a summery debut album. The highlights are Waste,Houdini,Helena beat,call it what you want and most of all Pumped up kicks,the summer anthem of a barbeque for indie people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fostering feeling, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
I first encountered Foster the People in the tail-end of a music programme on US television while recovering from jetlag on my first day in San Francisco. The haunting sound of the chorus of 'Waste' made me sit up from my stupor and pay attention. In the coming days snippets of the single 'Pumped Up Kicks' leached from passing car windows and pounded out of Mission district coffee shops. Since that introduction, and then quickly buying Torches, I have really enjoyed more thoroughly exploring it. The album has a decent amount of variety across the tracks and yet there is a continuity of sound, which gives it a 'Foster the People' identity. I would agree that you do hear echoes of bands like Black Kids, Friendly Fires, MGMT and Vampire Weekend, but there is a definite Foster the People sound.

This is a feel good album, with plenty to make you want to move, but pay attention to the lyrics and you realise that bouncing along with you is a happy-go-lucky gunman or a street hustler. Torches is very probably going to be the sound of 2011 for me, its uniformly brilliant and hasn't yet failed to bring a big stupid grin to my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foster the People, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
Heard a snatch of Pumped Up Kicks on the radio and it drove me mad until I found out what it was. As soon as I did I bought the album. Absolutely love it. Really funky.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC PLENTY OF UPBEAT SONGS, A REAL GEM, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
As a 40 something female I found myself foot tapping to this band when they were on at Glastonbury recently and thought I would take a punt and buy this album. I am very pleased and enjoy the numerous upbeat songs, a few I had heard before but not realised who it was by. My 11 year son has taken a shine to this too and no doubt we will look out for other albums. A perfect album for sunny warm days.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
One of the best debut albums like ever :O Highly recommend to anyone with a decent music taste. Mark Foster es muy fantastico.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foster The People, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
Purchased for my Grandson - he loves one track in particular which he plays over and over again!! But the whole CD has been a resounding success.
J. Fallon