4.0 out of 5 stars Understandably hit or miss?
I can understand why previous reviewers have either been thumbs up or thumbs down! This compilation of re-edits is worthwhile but as with most double albums the quality and interest is difficut to maintain across both discs.
I will just deal with the 4 standouts:
Published 1 month ago by neale

1.0 out of 5 stars This is horrible!
I think my heading really sums this up, but I will say a bit more to explain why...

Published 6 months ago by Ian C

1.0 out of 5 stars This is horrible!, 5 Mar 2014

The main problem here is the song selections - they are just down right dull and totally un-inspiring. To make matters worse, the intros to most of the tracks have been extended on - and on - and on - and on.... and they go nowhere! You think it's gonna build up into some huge disco monster, but at 3:46, the intro is still just plodding along and still going nowhere. The tracks sound like the sort of boring holding music that you get to listen to on the phone when you're waiting to pay your overdue gas bill, only they actually sound BETTER down the phone! Which brings me to my next point...

The production. The sound is very synthetic, very mid-range and very 80's. It's totally devoid of what is behind good disco - soul! There is no punch or guts to the production on these tracks, with a couple of exceptions:

I'm giving this release 1 star for the following:

"I'm a Love Bug" by Donna McGhee, which is a great track though I had it already on one of the Deep Disco Culture releases. The production on the Ashley Beedle edit is actually very good and does have a lot more clarity and punch than the Deep Disco Culture version (which was probably taken straight from the vinyl).

"Whatcha Gonna Do" by Heaven & Hell, which is also a great track, but again I already had this on one of the Tom Moulton Philly Re-Grooved albums (yes, Tom Moulton. Therefore, no further re-mixes required - it would be like re-making Star Wars).

"Touch Sensitive" by The Fall. The Fall are just a great band, but this great track just sounds out of place in this selection. I love a truly eclectic mix, but you've gotta move smoothly through the styles, not just drop it in like a f@rt at a funeral.

This package looked potentially quite promising, but I must admit, when I saw this release was on Harmless, I was a bit dubious - they can be VERY hit and miss. But I thought if there's just one killer track on it, it will make the buy worthwhile. How wrong I was.

If the above mentioned tracks weren't on this package, I'd give it zero stars. If you want some really great top-notch disco, seek out the Disco Love compilations by Al Kent. This one however, is a total AVOID for me. I didn't even bother watching the DVD...

4.0 out of 5 stars Understandably hit or miss?, 30 July 2014
I will just deal with the 4 standouts:
New York Port Authority - "Rainbow" - a little known album track on the Invictus label that is simply sublime in the new version.
Ace - "All That I Need" - blue eyed soul gem from Paul Carrack that hits the right groove.
Gene Chandler - "All About The Paper" - Chi sound soul at its peak with superb instrumentation especially in the break.
Heaven 'n' Hell - "Whatcha Gonna Do" - worth the purchase price alone. Cantering left field soul/disco. Exquisite.
Overall above average hence the 4 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 22 Mar 2014
Rolando (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Cracking track choices, quality productions - get some groove in your life :)

Ps. Not sure which tracks the critics leaving comments here are listening to, but they sound top drawer to me :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good competent album with a couple of outstanding tracks., 7 May 2014
Hate reviewing albums as it is so subjective... one man's meat and all that. Bought this on the strength of a couple of tracks I knew about. The rest is OK but not my style. Production excellent but I should have done a bit more reserarch. Would fully expect that someone else might love it all

5.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 31 Aug 2014
Love the packaging and obscurity selection. This makes this special.
Paul Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album !, 18 Mar 2014
Draws you in and spits you out ! Still listening after 3 weeks in my car and lovin' it !

1.0 out of 5 stars message in the music?, 4 Mar 2014
this is truly a dreadful waste of money, I cannot think of a worse buy in 30 yrs, absolutely dire from start to finish.