TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 February 2014
Somewhat unusually for Avid, these four albums appear in the order in which they were recorded. A 19-piece orchestra (which included Bernie Glow, Ernie Royal, Bob Brookmeyer, Urbie Green, Al Cohn, Terry Pollard, and Osie Johnson) was deployed in October 1956 for “Swingin’”, an album which fully justifies its title. In contrast, a quartet was used for the February 1958 album “Terry Gibbs Plays The Duke”, with Pete Jolly on accordion (shades of Cornell Smelser), Leroy Vinnegar on bass and Gary Frommer on drums. This may be small group jazz, but it’s amazing how much depth of sound and variety of tone was created. “More Vibes on Velvet” followed in November, and the 9-piece band was conducted by Mel Lewis on drums, who also provided the arrangements for ten standards. I hesitate to describe this as smooth jazz, because nowadays that term denotes bland, which it’s not. Finally, a quintet including Herb Ellis on guitar, Frank Strazzieri on piano, Al McKibbon on bass and Frank Capp on drums produced the 1960 album “Music from Cole Porter’s Can Can”. It’s a lively ending to an excellent compilation.
on 2 July 2014
Drums are wonderful
on 19 August 2014
Loved the 1st part of cd 1 the big band , but the rest for me just o.k . I would listen to them but I admit for me Terry is a big band guy. But that just my opinion I feel the same about Benny Goodman not keen on his smaller groups, but then I love my big bands.