on 4 March 2014
This album is the dogs gonads. I have been waiting for Suburban Base to return and they come back right now with this bad boy gem! Yeah, most old skool DJs will have most of these tunes...I have, but don't let that put you off. Oh no, because this is mixed and you need this in your life. Just in time for summer 2014. Turn it up and feel happy again...big up SubBase.
on 15 March 2014
Great collection of tunes (worth five stars) but messed up by being mixed into each other (minus three stars) rather than each standing alone on a compilation. I overlooked that the CDs were mixed when I bought this, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
44 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2014
Crazy nights of dancing. Speaker wire all over the ceiling trying to get the best reception to listen to pirate radio. Putting shouts out. Paging/calling said pirates for the name of that elusive track. Waiting outside of the record shop hoping to grab a white label. In later years, discovering a tune you didn't know the name of, and then spending a small fortune getting it from a very popular auction web site.

Now, if you can relate to the above, then this album is probably for you. Suburban Base was one of THE front-runners of the scene in the 90's, with many a classic/timeless track coming from this stable: "This Sound is for the Underground", "Dark Stranger", "Shot in the Dark", "The Slammer", and the list goes on. I'm sitting on the train writing this, and Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era's "Session One (Riots In Rayleigh)" is being mixed in. Full foot tapping in effect.

The compilation includes a mouth-watering collection of tracks, and you won't be disappointed with what has been included.

*** IMPORTANT: Read on before buying ***

The tracks on the CD ARE MIXED TOGETHER. They are not individual tracks. Now, based on this fact, I would still buy the CD because of the wealth of tunes and great listening. THANKFULLY, all is not lost: If you purchase the album from Amazon, all of the tracks will be provided digitally, as part of the package (please read Amazon's prerequisites to ensure you qualify for the free digital version). Looking at some of the track lengths, they appear to be the full length versions.

This album, with the digital, full length tracks, deserves 5 stars, and should be part of your collection. Who knows... you might find that track you've been hunting the racks for, for ages.
on 17 April 2014
Seems there are a lot of people pee'd off at this CD 'compilation' with the tracks being mixed.. however I bought this from the site today with the free auto-rip feature through Amazon, and it seems I have been provided with downloads of 3 different mixes, as well as all the tracks as separates, at full length. I'm guessing when the CD arrives tomorrow, they will be mixed. But at least I have the downloads of individual tracks to go with it.

Admittedly it would be preferable to have the CDs with the individual tracks on, and with it being referred to as a 'compilation', it is pretty misleading. Another thing worth mentioning, is the MP3s sent to me through the Amazon service aren't full 320kbps quality, and seem to average around the 270-280 mark (possibly VBR). Obviously if they WERE on the CDs they would be higher quality and be able to be ripped as .aiff's or .wav's...

Still, this is a banging selection of tunes, mixed or un-mixed.. and still worth the tenner in my opinion. Just make sure you purchase a copy where it states 'AutoRip' on the summary through this site and you should get all the tracks as singles too :)
on 12 April 2014
Cracking tunes craftily marketed. As others have said, there's little if anything to say this album is mixed. I have to agree I would have avoided it if I'd known. The back catalogue is released digitally so I'm guessing this is where you pay twice if you want the full versions.
Overall a good trip down memory lane but would have preferred unmixed 12"s.
on 6 April 2014
Good album with some legendary tracks but VERY unclear that its actually mixed (only when you open the case its in the insert). Still some cracking old skool tracks but a real shame theyre mixed for all DJs out there! Agree with the other reviewer, maybe Amazon should make it clear on the description on here.
on 31 March 2014
This cd is one of the best old skool CDs I have heard for a long time,3 CDs old skool and jungle take me back! I would defo recommend this if your 30-40 you will be taken back to some happy memories! 10/10 suburban base you have done unselfish proud! Just wish there was more underground hardcore rave out there!
on 10 April 2014
Monumental sweep of hard-core and jungle from the old days! Major booming tracks that were influential to many early techno/ house/ drum & bass djs. However, I personally do not listen to hard core. I would like it if there was more jungle. If there was I would give it 5 stars.
on 11 September 2014
If you spent your youth standing in a muddy field listening to rolling beats, this will take you back. Not exactly a dinner party album, but my preteen children quite like it in the car turned up loud, better than the manufactured rubbish in the charts anytime
on 21 May 2014
I was very frustrated the Amazon Cloud player doesn't work for New Zealand. I would not have bought this from Amazon nor will I buy any more music from Amazon until I can get the digital download with it every other site offers this nowadays.