1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Best clinical psychology book I've read in years, 27 Sep 2013
David J. Boggis "oldnuff" (Brittany, France) - See all my reviews
This is more than just info on clinical psychology from an insider's viewpoint - it is also a cracking good read and is peppered with anecdotes, to say nothing of sporadic references to the societal and psychological advantages of the occasional beer now and then.

Kahn is a natural writer, but, as should go without saying, he is totally on top of his subject. I am personally a lifetime sufferer of depressive mood disorder, and I am as capable as the next person of approaching a piece of writing with a jaundiced view. But, having read a review of the volume in the UK weekly New Scientist, I gave it a try - and soon found it as difficult to put down as, say, a Michael Connelly crime thriller. (I'm also a crime writer, so reading Connelly is part of the job.)

It takes a bit to wring a smile from a person of my particular handicaps. But this one had me chortling periodically, all the way through.

Kahn explains the evolutionary development of a range of present-day psychiatric disorders. Each story makes fascinating reading. And, right at the end, where Kahn gets into what might be 'the heavy stuff' in terms of extracts from DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) edition 4, he offered me a self-diagnosis that proved a total surprise for me. Read it!