4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next one!
I received this book in exchange for an honest review

Published 9 months ago by Keri Houston

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
good read
Published 2 months ago by hj

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next one!, 29 May 2014
I received this book in exchange for an honest review

Firstly I loved the myriad of different paranormal creatures in this book. It wasn't just your usual werewolves, vampires, shifters but other creatures such as wraiths and dragons (yes who doesn't love a book that involves dragons, right?!?) I enjoyed learning about them all, what their abilities were. With so many different types of paranormal, there is always the danger that the story can get confusing but it was not the case with Damaged.

As well as the paranormal element of the characters being strong and well thought out, their personalities were too. I thought that Nixie, Stone, Audrey all balanced each other out. Each character had their own back story, so you never thought at any point "what is the point of that character?".

The story is shrouded with so much mystery and intrigue. There are still a lot of unanswered questions by the end of the book but I this just makes me look forward to reading the next one even more. Some books that are part of a series feel like they are being dragged out but with Damaged you feel like that story still has so much more to go.

I look forward to the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was given this book to write an honest review.
Damaged was a great read. I enjoyed it immensly. l feel that this book had the whole package Love, Action, Goodies, Baddies, Drama , Intrigue and Mystery.
l felt the author did a fab job. The plot was original & the characters were well written .
Audrey was a excellent female lead and watching her develop throughout the book was lovely, she went from a damaged scared girl into a strong women with a hint of vulnerability . Stone -you got to love him his bond to Audrey was wonderfully written, his character was intriguing and strong, what a guy!
Fantastic book and l would recommend to people who enjoy paranormal books.
Looking forward to reading book two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five big fat stars!!, 31 Jan. 2014
Mercy Burns (FOLKESTONE, Kent, GB) - See all my reviews
Damaged
By Becca Vincenza
I was lucky enough to be one of the beta readers for this book, though it hasn’t released yet, I strongly suggest you add this to your good reads list, pre order and watch for the release day with bated breath. It is awesome.
Five stars (Actually, five simply aren’t enough so I am going to give it ten. Yes. Ten stars out of five. That’s how I roll. That’s also how much I LOVED this book.)
Ok first impressions… Wow.
You might have to bear with me a little with this review, I have just literally put the book down and the only thing I can think is… Damn I want the next one, like now. Like NOW!!... NOW!!
Right, whoa. So I am going to try and make this a spoiler-free review, simply because you really need to pick the book up and experience it for yourself, so I am going to give you an overall review rather than a detail by detail one.
The story;
Becca Vincenza has clearly worked her socks off on this novel, I mean there are so many twists and turns, and ‘ten steps forward, fifty steps back’, ‘hang-on-which-way-was-up?’ - moments in this book it was neigh on impossible to predict where the story line was going. I love that.
Personally, I read a hell of a lot. I write. And *ahem* I may be a bit of a control freak. *ahem*.
My point is that when I pick up a new book I spend 90% of it trying to guess where it’s going. Trying to pre-empt and see if I can work out the authors’ train of thought. It may just be me being the weirdo I am but it’s just how I do.
However, I didn’t even attempt to with this one. It wasn’t that I couldn’t guess where it was going- (although I’m sure if I tried, I wouldn’t be able to) it was more because it didn’t even cross my mind to want to do it. I was so engrossed in the story the entire time that my mind wouldn’t focus on anything other than what was happening right at that point in the novel.
I didn’t pre-empt, I didn’t try and consider how it was all going to end, I just lived the story as it came and loved every second of it.
Vincenza’s imagination and creativity have created a world in which I was so thoroughly at home, yet comfortably distant that I simply ceased to exist in the real world once I picked up my kindle.
I was utterly engrossed and I loved every damn second of it.
Characters;
Oh god oh god oh god. I won’t spend too long on this section because urgh… you will simply be forced to read ‘I LOVE THEM I LOVE THEM I LOVE THEM’ for the next few paragraphs.
But seriously. I loved them. There were a good few characters lurking in the story line, the main few were beautifully well rounded, with some serious personality punching through. They each had traits you could relate to on some level, and other traits you sort of wanted to rid them of.

Her two main characters, Audrey and Stone – whoa.

Stone. I want him. I want that damn man in my life so bad it actually hurts a little.
My husband has resorted to jealousy – yes, he’s jealous of a fictional character – mainly because we were sitting in bed one night, I was reading, he was dosing and I came to the sweetest part in the book (you’ll know it when you read it!) and smacked him on the chest saying ‘Aawwwwwww!!!! *SMACK* DAN!! WHY CAN’T YOU BE THAT SWEET??!!!’
So yeah, stone is gorgeous, a tormented, possessive, thoroughly sexy and surprisingly gentle.
He has a few hidden surprises that both tease you and make you love him all the more.

Audrey is a tantalising mixture of terrified and damaged, (the kind of girl you spend half the book saying ‘oohhh honey! Poor you! Ooohh sweetie!’ to,) and boldy defiant. She is secretly strong, though out the book, none of this ‘I was weak but I learnt to be strong’ no no no, she is timid no doubt, but her quiet inner strength is consistent from the first page.
You can’t help but fall in love with her, she is such a cutie.

Nixie? A girl after my own heart. Bubbly, amazing, someone you instantly warm to. I can honestly say I’d want that girl in my life if I could have her!

And OH sweet Jesus- Elijah?
Dark, booding, mysterious. He is a bit of an arse, no doubt about it, but my god can you forgive him for it. He is a really distant, evil, mystery that you can’t help but want to solve. He is the most sexy thing I’ve read about in years. I literally want him.
Enough said. You truly have to read it to understand!!

*ahem* so okay – The plot is written – Okay can’t concentrate. My mind is back on Stone and Elijah… I mean… Pffffwhoar.
*ahem* SO… *ahem*

Right. The plot is written in such a way that it keeps you guessing, every time you think you can settle for a moment, you think that they are safe- Becca introduces another twist that takes you in a completely new direction. She throws so many spanners in the works, I’m sure she is now well and truly out of a proverbial tool kit.
I read a lot of urban fantasy and paranormal, it truly is my genre of choice but this book was so unique in its plot line, its characters and its mythical creatures, I found myself falling in love with the genre all over again.
Becca Vincenza’s passion and imagination is unmatched in my mind, you can tell she has truly thrown herself into the book, heart, tears and all to create a wonderful, exhilarating combination of action and romance that will truly take your breath away.
She has found an incredibly well deserved spot on my ‘favourite authors’ bookshelf and I have no doubt she will remain there indefinitely.
This is a cracking debut and the beginning to what I have no doubt will be an absolutely fantastic series. I would recommend this book in a heartbeat, not only to lovers of fantasy and paranormal but to romance and action lovers as well. Her passion really makes the novel extraordinary, her plot line has been created with a beautifully deft hand and she is thoroughly adept at creating characters that you will fall head over heels in love with.
What are you doing still reading this? GO! Go now and add this to your bookshelf.
In the mean time I will still be here waiting impatiently for the next book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Move over Edward and Jacob, the shifters are here, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was gifted Damaged in exchange for an honest review and honest I will be.

Finally! A paranormal novel where vampires and werewolves are NOT at the center of the story...Move over Edward and Jacob!!
Come to think of it, the only vampire making a cameo appearance had a very brief and swift part to play.

The author opened up the mythical world to pretty much every single paranormal life forms you can think of which made room for a rather fantastic world which I look forward to reading more of in the next installments.

However, the focus was on Audrey, a paranormal being on the verge of extinction and Gabriel aka Stone, another very interesting paranormal being in his own right too...who has to question his allegiance and only clan he has known for most of his life.

I have one negative criticism still (which is not that many).
I did feel like the plot did take a long time to develop which maybe due to the need for the author to introduce so many characters at the beginning which end up having their story line not developed...at least in this installment.

However once the plot thickened, a very good story unfolded.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the last few pages referring to the rather mysterious character of Elijah which I can see becoming a very intriguing leading character in the future.

I would strongly recommend this read to any paranormal novel lovers who have had enough of vampires.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, great characters, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I received this book from the author in exchange for a honest review.

The things that Audrey had to endure were horrible and I can understand why she doesn't trust anyone or anything. Her scars are a permanent reminder of this fact. Audrey learns so much about herself in this book and there are also some shocking revelations about her life. Watching Audrey's character develop from a shattered, scared girl to a strong young woman who learns how to trust and to love was wonderful.

Stone is a great character. I loved the way he would look beyond Audrey's scars and tell her how beautiful she is. The relationship development between Stone and Audrey was realistic. I loved Stone's character.

Nixie is an awesome character, one of my favorites, always so upbeat, she added some humor to the story.

I found this book enteraining and it contained elements that I enjoy in a book, love, twists, suspense, mystery and great characters. I recommend this book, as a matter of fact I immediately bought the next book in the series!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
There were some issues in this book that could've soured it, but the author handled it well and it didn't overpower the story but became part of it. The romance was slow enough to be believable and the heroine was easily believed. The father I could've lived without, he was horrible! *shudder*. Still, I found some parts hard to get through, mainly because of the abuse issues, while the rest flowed easily. A good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Unique, 1 Jun. 2014
stringsoup2013 (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I definitely enjoyed Ms Vincenza's 'Damaged' and look forward to where she takes the series in the future. Her characters are wonderfully unique and it was especially refreshing to find a main female character who wasn't neither stereotypical nor perfect. While people may not be able to relate to the cause of Audrey's injuries, it is interesting to see such a flawed character and her past makes her easy to relate to, and to root for.

While the idea of this book reminds me a little of 'The Women of the Otherworld' series by Kelley Armstrong and the 'Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter' series by Laurell K. Hamilton, there is a refreshing cast of characters that makes Damaged stand out from the rest of the pack. Ms. Vincenza has definitely done her homework, and her impressive list of preternatural characters makes her story shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woah..., 9 May 2014
This review is from: Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Damaged is a paranormal book that I've not seen before. I really felt for Audrey, kept captive by so many different people and resorting to counting things to keep herself calm. Undergoing so many brutalities, it's amazing that she falls for Stone, a shifter who can take both animal and human/paranormal forms. The changing chapters between two reveal an amazing insight between the two. The twist of trying to work out who Audrey's protective, obsessive father was kept me occupied throughout the book. Elijah was another unknown quality - I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of this series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five big fat stars!!, 31 Jan. 2014
Mercy Burns (FOLKESTONE, Kent, GB) - See all my reviews
Damaged
By Becca Vincenza
Ok first impressions… Wow.
The story;
I was utterly engrossed and I loved every damn second of it.
Characters;

Her two main characters, Audrey and Stone – whoa.

You can’t help but fall in love with her, she is such a cutie.

And OH sweet Jesus- Elijah?
Enough said. You truly have to read it to understand!!

*ahem* SO… *ahem*

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
this story is amazing. this is my first time reading these types of books so was kind of worried i wouldnt like it but i was so wrong from the first page i never put it down loved it so much. i cant wait to read the rest x

Damaged (The Rebirth Series Book 1)