on 5 June 2014
Well here it is the thirteenth full length book in the amazing Psy-Changeling series. It's a series that just keeps building a world populated with strong characters that will leave readers feeling wrung out and breathless. This particular story centres around two very different Psy, Vasic the cold Arrow and Ivy an Empath. Theirs is a journey of two souls on a collision course with no place to hide and it's going to be a bumpy ride!
Vasic is a character who has been dangled by the author in front of her readers for quite some time now and he's possibly one of the most powerful Psy in his unit. He has had a difficult life and being an assasin has taken it's toll . He agrees that now that Silence has fallen his race will need all the help they can get if they are to survive the creeping death that sits within the Net. Vasic accepts the mission of bringing Empaths together in a controlled environment but one Empath in particular Ivy, will quite literally test every shield that Vasic has ever put in place. I was overjoyed when I got my hands on this book but a little afraid if honest as the idea of two cold Psy being the lead characters sounded alarm bells for me. I'm in the minority in that I didn't particularly connect with those in the previous book "Heart of Obsidian" . So I am a very happy bunny when I say this felt more like a complete story to me. It's a book with a relationship that has a beginning a middle and the possibility of a happy ending. In this harsh world nothing is certain but these two characters will fight for what they believe to be right. It's difficult to imagine living without emotions and always being self contained but the author has a knack for revealing those small differences that make it feel real. Just the idea that a simple hug would be out of place brings to life a world so cold that it's not difficult to grasp and I'm not surprised that something is starting to snap. A harsh empty reality and yet it's filled with hope as those who realise the dangers are fighting to save the Psy race.
This book is mainly centred around the Psy characters and it's interesting to read about the shy Ivy embracing the possibility that she can thaw out Vasic. She's almost brazen at times and quietly determined to get her man! As for Vasic I think the word honourable is the one that describes him the best. He's also quite amusing at times and his teleporting abilities frequently cause him problems! He clearly is a very passionate guy but has never released that side of himself before but Vasic unabashedly seeks advice from Judd who I know is a favourite amongst many readers.
If the Changelings are your favourite characters in this series then rest assured they still appear in this book but it's quite rightly front and centre about the Psy race and all the changes they are going through. The Forgotten are also in the background and I suspect we might learn more about them in future books. The Psy race are quite literally fighting for their survival now and everyone will have a part to play.
So yes it's a romance and Ms Singhs lush prose just flowed . The heroine Ivy has depths and a unique courage that sees her bravely taking on her lethal Arrow. A slow believable romance but it's the incredible world building and story telling that kept me gripped until the last page. There's clearly so much more to come and please could we see more of Aden? The dynamics of this world just keep changing and it's a fabulous ride! This series is best read in order starting with Slave to Sensation but please whatever you do make sure you find time for these books because you will never regret it!
on 9 June 2014
I have read each of the previous books in the Psy-Changeling series and have enjoyed them all. However those where the Psy have been the main stars and the Changelings the bit players have never seemed quite as entertaining. That all changed with Shield of Winter. Possibly it was because I was already fascinated by Vasic. His small appearances in other stories hinted at what an in-depth character he had - after all, guilt is an emotion and he obviously carried a shed load of it. Whatever the whys and wherefores, honestly, I don't care because I absolutely loved this story.
I'm not one to review by detailing what happens, I want to find that out for myself suffice to say the storyline is awesome, the sex is blistering, I cried like a baby, every woman should have a man like Vasic and I adore Rabbit.
If you're wondering whether you should buy Shield of Winter, stop thinking and go do. It's brilliant and I might just have to start re-reading it...now.
on 7 June 2014
For those readers who have read the previous books in this series, you will already know that this is Vasic's story. Vasic is an Arrow, a rare TkV, a natural teleporter, and Ivy Jane, a strong but not cardinal telepath. Although there is not a great deal of 'action' in this book quite a few discoveries are made about the Psy Net, the 'E' designation and Alice starts to remember some key details. The most enjoyable part of the story for me was the development of the relationship between Vasic and Ivy and it's effect on the other Arrows. I am not sure where Nalini Singh is going to take this series next; there are still problems to be ironed at the end of the book, but this is definitely worth reading and I look forward to the next one.
on 12 October 2014
Rating~ 4.5 Stars.

I know as with many fans of the series we were all eagerly waiting for Vasic's book to be released (ever since he said he was tired, and seemed suicidal and some of us were greatly disappointed that he wasn't going to end up with Aden). SoW is mainly about Vasic an arrow and Ivy an empath psy, but we see a lot of our favorite changeling packs and Psy's world where we see the impact of what happened in the last book.

While I did love Vasic and Ivy's story it was different than other other Psy books like for e.g. Judd and Kaleb's. In those books we saw Judd and Kaleb kind of learning about emotions and understanding them but at the same time they were very much still in silence in the way they interacted with others apart from their heroines. Vasic is different in that aspect though he did not quite understand emotions like hope but he had someone who kept him from feeling lonely, his friendship with Aden which saved him from a difficult childhood and later with the morality of what they were doing for their race. To me it felt like Vasic and Ivy's relationship came about very easy and without much conflict. It could be because the end of silence or just because they both could feel without any restraints, especially with all the understanding and emotional backbone that Ivy had. Their falling in love was sweet and cute.

I really loved all the scenes that showed the previous characters since it showed what they had been up to and their meetings were all constructed very well to include the overall arc of the series and its effects.

In the end, this was a great read and I can't wait for the next book in the series (Aden's).
on 5 June 2014
For me this release was long awaited the 13th instalment from Nalini Singhs Psy/Changeling series.

5 Stars as always the novel is well writen and flows from chapter to chapter always leaving the reader waiting for the next story to come.

As always we catch up with familar characters to the series Sasha, Lucas, Hawke Kaleb etc but Nalini does it in a way that the backstory to the novel dosent make up 50% of the chapters. This is Vasic's story our stoic arrow that holds the weight of the world on his shoulders or at least the arrows anyway Vasic is in trouble hes surviving for the rest of the arrows but is not sure how much longer he can last.The arrows no longer mindlessly enforce and protect the Silence protocol, Silence has broken and the E Psy are slowly awakening. Our heroine is Ivy Jane an E Psy who at age 16 experienced a brutal reconditioning but with the help of her parents has begun to heal but is still a shadow of her former self. Ivy has been told for years that she is a low psy a 3.2 telepath and her E abilitys have been sept under the rug but now she along with a few other E psy are the only hope to combat the infection that is runing rampant in the psynet. Its Vasics job to protect the E's working against the infection and the pro silence groups that are targeting them. We see Vasic and Ivys fall in love despite there differences and combat the Psy gifts that cause them difficulties in being together.

I eagerly await book 14.
on 17 August 2014
I have enjoyed reading every single book in the Psy Changeling series and this one is just as good. I have always liked Vasic and was intrigued by him from his first appearance in the series.

It is so nice to read his story and the way he battles with himself for some of the things he was forced to do since childhood is quite heartbreaking but admirable. I like the way he takes on the role of the E's Protector and how he interacts with Ivy, the quiet but stubborn Empath. As for Rabbit, I am in love with him. He brings something special to this book.

The way Vasic leads the Arrows to work together with the Es to find a solution to Silence being broken is very enlightening as it shows his true personality. It shows the determination, strength and intelligence in Ivy to work with all the others to find a solution. It is a long and hard journey but it brings hope to all the designations.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I am sure no recommendations are needed for Nalini Sighn's fan but if you haven't read this series, it's definitely well worth a go. I now await the next book in the series with anticipation.
on 22 July 2014
I loved this story of the killer Arrow and 'his' Empath. I really believed in the hero Vasic: here was the tortured soul that Singh writes about so well. ( Look a many of the other hero's of this series). It took me more time to relate to the heroine, Ivy ( hence the 4 stars) It's only as she becomes a stronger though the story, that I realised that this was someone who I could spend more time with. It made the book all the more enjoyable.

There are a number of lose ends being tied up in this book. We get to revisit many old favourites: not least Kaleb & Sahara, Judd & Brenna, Lucas & Sasha, but there are a lot more questions as well. What will happen to Ming LeBon? How will the Psy survive, Does Alice (now out of the coma) get all her memory back? What number of "pup-cubs" will Riley and Mercy actually have?

I cannot rate Ms Singh highly enough. Clever, inventive and fast paced story telling that keeps you hooked. Fascinating and vivid characters. Not to mention sexy story lines that do not treat the readers as an idiot. Bravo! More please.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Nalini Singh has done it again and Shield of Winter is a FANTASTIC instalment to the Psy-Changeling series. Every time I think it can't possibly get better she works her magic and blows my mind with her amazing characters! I have been dying to read Vasic's book for ages now and I loved every minute of it.

It's been painful watching Vasic's deterioration over the last few books, he has come closer and closer to the edge and you could feel how tired he was of living with the things he'd been forced to do since childhood. Although we've seen for ourselves how much Vasic has to offer he never sees the good in himself, all he can think about is the lives he has taken in his role as an Arrow and how much he regrets his past. The fact that he feels so much guilt shows us that his conditioning isn't quite what it should be, even at the height of Silence he was obviously showing signs of fracture and the symptoms are only getting worse.

Aden is like a brother to Vasic, they have been friends since childhood and always did their best to protect each other but being raised by a man like Ming was never going to be easy and we all know how rough the Arrow's have had it. I absolutely love the bond between these characters though, Aden is determined to do whatever it takes to stop Vasic from self destructing and he is making sure to send him on jobs that aren't going to make him suffer even more. I think this is a really interesting time for the Arrows, we're getting to see them making their own minds up about a lot of things, Silence included, and they're starting to see that there are other options open to them.

To give Vasic something positive to focus on Aden puts him in charge of protecting a group of E designation Psy, these empaths may just hold the cure for the rot that is spreading across the Psy-Net and it is vital that they succeed or it could be the end for the entire Psy race. Vasic has always had strong protective instincts but Ivy is like no one else he's ever met before and spending time with her changes him in ways he could never have imagined. Their relationship is one of the sweetest Psy/Psy relationships we've seen and I loved every minute of it. Ivy is a fantastic character, as an empath she was never able to successfully hold onto Silence so she is used to feeling deeply and isn't as cold as some of the previous characters were in the beginning. It was wonderful to see how Ivy instantly warmed not just to Vasic and Aden but also to all of the other Arrows, she is a real beacon of hope for them and I think she's going to be the one who shows them all what it is like to have a proper family. I don't want to give spoilers so I'll just say that things get extremely interesting (and very, very funny) when the passion starts to build between Vasic and Ivy. There was a particular conversation when Vasic askes Judd for advice that was absolutely priceless. You've got to give these Psy guys credit - they like to do their research and it more than pays off for the lucky ladies in their lives.

Shield of Winter was an emotional roller coaster, one minute I'd be laughing out loud and the next I would be heartbroken and crying for everything that both Vasic and Ivy have been through. This was a really heart wrenching read so it needed the humour to lighten it up but Nalini Singh got the balance just right. I loved seeing how things are progressing in the world since the major changes in the last book, a lot of things are happening and it's sure to be a bumpy ride but I'm pleased with the direction things are taking. My only worry is that I've now got to somehow survive the wait for Shards of Hope next summer, write faster Nalini please, please, please write faster!!

Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This series just keeps getting better and better can't wait for more stories about the arrows and the empaths keep them coming please . :)