1.0 out of 5 stars Don't. Just don't., 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Flag On the Play (Kindle Edition)
Wow. I really really wanted to like this book. Truly I did. But I just...couldn't. It was terrible.

Lately I have a thing about romance books, and sports ones are top of my list. Seeing as the Super Bowl just happened I was truly excited to read this book, but I really couldn't have been more disappointed.

You may have noticed I haven't included my own customary summary. That's because the summary makes you think it's going to be a really good sports romance, but the actual story had very little to do with the summary, and re-writing it to be accurate would be quite soul destroying for me as I don't really want to live the book again.

When I started reading, I figured I was picking holes because I was tired, so I put it down. The next day, I picked it up, refreshed and ready to go. It was just as bad. I wouldn't really call it picking holes, more like trying to ignore the giant holes/irritations everywhere. I honestly cannot see why people are liking this book?

Payton is a pushover. She has no backbone. She forgives him almost instantly after whining about how mad he is. The impression you get is that he'll be trying to win her over the whole book. Hell no. She does exactly what she said she'd never do...within the first couple of chapters. The rest of the book is just...we'll get to that later. She, along with every other character, has no depth whatsoever. A cardboard cut out has more depth. She doesn't want to date Kyle because he's a football player, and plays for Green Bay and she mentions this multiple times...WHILE SHE IS DATING HIM. Dude. Not wanting to date someone cos they play for a team you hate is really lame, and totally stupid.

Kyle. Big, strong, football player Kyle. He could literally give a teenage girl a run for her money with the whole "why hasn't she called" thing, and the John thing. He was so bland I wanted to cry. There was no spark at all, and their relationship made no sense. Who the hell hugs the psycho ex, who just accused you of fathering a non-existent baby, and suddenly thinks "oh her hair smells nice, maybe I don't love Payton. Better dump her ASAP".

Some things weren't described correctly, or in any kind of detail so you had no idea what the hell was going on. The writing was jerky, and I was getting whiplash from the sudden change of location from one sentence to the next. The plot was all over the place. Not to mention the lack of knowledge. A pro QB asking a sportscaster for advice on his career? Naaahhh mate.

I'm British. I have American family. I know more about the NFL and Football than this writer does. The author has clearly never heard the phrase "write what you know". So much was wrong with this book, total lack of football jargon, the lack of knowledge was obvious, very glaringly obvious.

The writing was truly terrible. It was really dicey, the amount of spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes was ridiculous. I seriously lost count during the first chapter. When we randomly switch to Kyle's point of view, dialogue is repeated. That we've just read.
Quite honestly I felt like I was reading a really bad fanfic that a 14 year old had written.

It would appear there is such a thing as too much drama. Who knew?! Not me until I read this and it swiftly descended in to the land of the ridiculous. Or a really terrible soap opera. Random stalkers pop up, a random psycho fan, and a psycho ex girlfriend of "Brother Steve's" (do not get me started on that). All happening at once, it was too much, and utterly stupid. The whole thing was incredibly unrealistic.

The entire book was rushed. So many events and information was trying to be crammed in to the book it was insane, and really unenjoyable. I have honestly never read such a terrible book in my life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Flag On the Play (Kindle Edition)
Oh. Dear.

I really wish I could find something positive to say about this book, especially since the summary made it sound like it was going to be a decent sports romance.

Unfortunately the reality was it wasn’t even a sports romance teetering on the edge of bearable.

The first half was bad due to the following:

1. the writing was fanfic-y
2. there was far too much squeaking, squawking, screeching by the characters
3. the main characters had no depth to them
4. the way Steve kept referring to himself as “Brother Steve” was really irritating
5. Kyle acted like a teenage girl over the John thing wondering why Payton had not called

And then we got to the halfway point and things took a turn for the worse:

6. WTF with the random stalkers?!
7. Kyle’s ex-girlfriend lies about being pregnant with his child and the next minute, even though she is revealed as a lying ho-bag, Kyle is thinking about getting back together with her and dumps Payton. Seriously, WTF?!?!?!?!

And at that point my perseverance failed.

Book: 1*