5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning book from Burnside
Getting a new Burnside book, whether poetry, novel, short stories or autobiography is always an event. He reaches places that are rarely got to.

Published 11 months ago by TD

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird Weird Weird!
I bought this book because of the glowing reviews it has been receiving but oh how I wish I hadn't bothered. What a load of codswallop! It started off well enough but soon descended into a series of some of the weirdest tales I've ever encountered. So weird in fact that I gave up before I reached the halfway mark! Maybe it's a 'girl thing' but I just didn't get it!
Published 10 months ago by Ancass

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning book from Burnside, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: I Put a Spell on You (Hardcover)

This new book doesn't disappoint. His ability to plunge the depths of characters and events, convincingly portraying them in such beautiful sentences, is stunning. He writes with such pared-down simplicity and integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautifully written and inspiring books I've ever read, 30 Jun. 2014
T. Cunningham - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Put a Spell on You (Hardcover)
One of the most beautifully written and inspiring books I've ever read.
Burnside can construct a sentence like few others.
A extraordinary read - as a previous reviewer mentions, it's a perfectly crafted memoir. However, it's also a treatise on glamour, on grammar and life for the 21st century male.
It may be tough for some readers, but I can't recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memoir From Another World, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: I Put a Spell on You (Hardcover)
This is a complex and deeply moving work. Although it has to be largely classified as a "memoir" it is much more than that; it is an account of how a young man from Cowdenbeath moved gradually towards becoming the accomplished writer "John Burnside", via Corby, the Cambridge Tech, Fulbourn Mental Hospital, and a few other places. Yet it is only a "memoir" in the same sense that James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is a "memoir"; it, like Joyce's book, is also an "apologia", an account of how the writer began to move from a relatively ordinary and aimless young man towards the extraordinary writer he has become. In the process, recollections of his life and some of its events are mixed with accounts of influences on his work, ranging (amongst others) from rock musicians, jazz singers, the photographer Diane Arbus, the haunting landscape of Finnmark in northern Norway, and Cambridge drug culture of the 1960s. W.B. Yeats wrote, "A poet writes always of his personal life, in his finest work out of its tragedy, whatever it be, remorse, lost love, or mere loneliness". This is, indeed, such a work. It will not be for everyone, as it is challenging, but I suspect that this is a book which will endure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird Weird Weird!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: I Put a Spell on You (Kindle Edition)

I Put a Spell on You