4,478 Reviews
 (2,825)

1,239 of 1,301 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best Selling Media Streaming Dongle ....... Here's why
After numerous unsuccessful attempts to penetrate the HDMI dongle streaming market, Google finally nailed it ..... and the competition for that matter.
The fact that the Chromecast has taken Europe by storm, becoming a best seller in under a month speaks for itself!

Published 11 months ago by Antoine Camilleri

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for about 6 Weeks before problems started
Bought from Amazon UK. Worked fine for about 6 Weeks before problems started. Picture constantly freezes. Shuts down and restarts on its own. Loses Internet connection. Various fault messages appear onscreen including one about brain freeze. I'm now lucky if it works for a few minutes before it crashes.

Can't find any way of returning to Amazon for exchange,...
Published 3 months ago by S A

1,239 of 1,301 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best Selling Media Streaming Dongle ....... Here's why, 19 Mar. 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player (Personal Computers)

Many simply cannot afford or justify upgrading to a new Smart TV. Others might be fed up with wires associated with set top boxes and want to view mainly online media. This dongle will do the job in style. And the good news does not end there.... It is very cheap, sticks to the back of your TV and can be controlled via a myriad of devices.

Very true, the market is flooded with HDMI dongles, yet the Chromecast is the clear winner and a best seller thanks to "Heavy weight" Online Media companies embracing it into their apps. Since releasing the SDK (Software Development Kit) in February 2014, many app developers are hopping aboard the Chromecast wagon, in the hopes of getting a slice of the market. Terrific news for the Chromecast owners!

Pros:
○ Does what it promises on the tin ... and getting better
○ Converts your conventional TV to a Smart TV
○ Package comes bundled with everything you could possibly need to get you up and running in no time (including a UK mains adapter)
○ *Automatically switches on your TV and tunes to the CC channel when media is routed to it. *USB must be powered from mains adapter and not from TV itself
○ Provides seamless streaming of high definition web media such as Youtube, Vimeo, Netflix, Vevo, Realplayer Cloud, BBC iPlayer (for UK only), Google Play movies, and more (depending on country)
○ Cross platform compatibility (Windows/Android/Mac/iOS Computers, Tablets and Smartphones)
○ Can be controlled via your smartphone rather than a dedicated wireless keyboard, which would probably cost as much as this device itself
○ Tiny and portable. Great for taking to a friends or family house to share media on the big screen
○ Negligible power consumption. Plug and forget. Uses no bandwidth when on standby (except for the occasional firmware upgrade)
○ Maximum Stealth. Plug and forget.
○ Unbeatable Value

Limitations:
- Single band Wi-Fi antenna operating on 2.4Ghz (802.11b/g/n). The inclusion of the 5GHz band would have been welcome, albeit few phones support it.
- Amazon LOVEFiLM subscribers will find that they cannot view their movies. This is not a limitation of the Chromecast itself ........ Amazon has launched its own Amazon Fire TV in the US (2nd April), so it is unlikely to see CC support. Yet never say never... as mentioned before.

Current limitations:
- Streaming of local media stored from certain devices .... Update :Being addressed by Plex, BubbleUPnP, Allcast among others budding every other day.
- Mirroring of the Google browser screen is still in Beta version. UPDATE: Much faster now

----------------------------------
THE CHROMECAST (In a few words) :
----------------------------------
The CC is a 3inch dongle which plugs into an HDMI port on an HD TV or a/v equipment and is powered via the provided USB cable (a mains adapter is also included just in case the TV lacks a USB port). Once set up it automatically connects to the internet. It provides seamless streaming of many "popular" web media services. The Chromecast can be controlled via smartphones, Android & iOS devices and desktop computers. No need for some clunky remote controller!

* As Trustedreviews website rightfully pointed out.... QUOTE "Google Chromecast does not come with a remote control at all. Instead, you use a phone or tablet to act as the middle man between streaming services like Netflix and your TV." UNQUOTE.

What it does best is what it was designed to do: streaming of media stored on the web.

---------------------
INSTALLATION & SETUP:
---------------------
Locate a free HDMI port on your TV (or a/v equipment). You might find that there is not enough room to plug the device due to its relatively thick base. The included extension interface is narrow enough to fit next to existing occupied HDMI ports, and the Chromecast will snugly fit over it. The next step powering the device. If you do not have a USB port on your TV, or are using it for a keyboard (you won't need it any longer most probably), a mains adapter is included in the package. The micro USB power supply needs to be connected to the device itself. The unit will spring to life, indicated by a flashing LED light on the unit itself.

Setting up the CC is very easy and straight forward, An app named "Chromecast", available for iOS and Android will aid you in configuring password settings for your home Wi-Fi. The Chromecast will then automatically log on to the internet and remain connected. That's it!

---------------
HOW IT WORKS:
--------------
When viewing online media, the Chromecast will use your broadband connection directly, and not hop the signal through the device you chose to stream from. The controlling device is just a remote control. This is particularly handy when using a smartphone. There is no battery drain on the phone and it can be used as a keyboard whilst still being able to function as a phone.

However if you chose to stream local media (ie stored on a phone or computer) things get a bit more complex. Yet to be fair, the CC was not designed to handle such content.

The following apps have varying degrees of success in streaming local media:
"Plex" works on any platform and is free
"BubbleUPnP" (Chromecast/DLNA)- Android phones and tablets
"EZCast" app has partially addressed seamless streaming of media stored on iOS/Android devices.
"PlayOn" Paid subscription is required, yet it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.

-----------
CONCLUSION:
-----------
I personally consider this device the best, unobtrusive, cost effective solution for steaming web media on your TV. Yet that is only my humble opinion.... Check out PC Advisor and TechAdvisor "Best free apps for Chromecast you don't know about" for some cool apps. There's no denying that this tiny device does what it was designed to to really well.

Highly recommend, especially to those who do not have a Smart TV, Apple TV or a Roku box.

I hope you find this review helpful. Please feel free to comment or ask any questions :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - Great with BBC iPlayer and more, 6 Feb. 2015
Fantastic little device that has changed my viewing habits. I now use BBC iPlayer with my iPhone or Nexus 7 casting to my big TV via this device - much, much less pfaf than trying to use iPlayer through the VirginMedia interface. From the Nexus using Chrome browser, can also cast videos from most modern websites - ie not just YouTube.

Have had the odd, rare glitch, but usually easily fixed by unplugging it and plugging in again.

For those not familiar with the device, worth understanding that it does not stream from your iPhone etc, but instead you use the iPhone to send commands and the Chromecast streams directly from the internet via your WiFi. You can pause and play from the iPhone etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Media Streaming, 25 Mar. 2014
Takes about 10 minutes to setup with updates very simple. Once you up and running casting is very easy even for me and I've never streamed media before. I wasn't sure it if it would work with my PC but you simple download the cast extension for your chrome browser, chromecast is designed to stream media already available online like BBC Iplayer Netflix and Youtube or media that is playing in the chrome browser to your TV and it does this perfectly. , time to say goodbye to cables. Best £30 I've spent in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy TV upgrade, 8 April 2014
So easy to set up!
Open box, remove dongle and power cable (there's a flexible HDMI adaptor in there too if you need the dongle to sit flush with the TV, if you're TV is wall mounted for example) plug dongle into HDMI inlet, power cable into USB port (or plug into mains adaptor if you don't have a USB on your TV - also supplied) connect power lead to dongle, then open your Chromecast app (I'm using the iOS version) It then locates your device, you confirm your network password and bosh!
That's it! Good to go...
You get a wonderful crisp 1080p picture, (I have experienced no buffering issues so far either - and that's on a measly 3 Mbps connection, so much better than is the norm on my YouView box :-$)
You've got UK support for YouTube, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, BT Sport (!) Vevo and some others too, which will work from their native apps on your phone/tablet similar to AirPlay.
In addition, if you use Chrome as your browser on your PC/laptop then unsurprisingly there is a free browser extension available from which you can beam your browser screen to your TV screen, which effectively gives you access to all of the other players available or pretty much anything else you wish to view.
Purchased as a cheap alternative to the AppleTV on our main TV, this works just as well on a technical level and the browser extension gives me potentially just as much content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but..., 23 Mar. 2014
Richard H (Peterborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Superb device, and so cheap. Works brilliantly. An absolute must buy. But... Pathetic Amazon won't allow the tab browsing function of desktop Chrome to sream Lovefilm videos to Chromecast. Absolutely fed up with Amazon and their petty refusal to work with Google, especially as the whole Kindle operating system is a knocked down version of Google's own Android OS. As well as refusing to allow me to access my Lovefilm account on any Android device, this latest petty stance from Amazon makes me mad. Closing Lovefilm account and getting rid of any Kindle software and devices. Had enough. Sort your politics out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gobsmackingly Brilliant. Works really well!, 18 Oct. 2014
I had my doubts about this but bought one for my neighbour (early Christmas present) and... "what the heck, only 30 quid"... one for myself.

I am gobsmacked how well this works. Plugged it into my TV HDMI socket, then power from a nearby socket (my TV has no USB port, which can be used to supply power ......No power on HDMI? What an oversight!...), switched TV input to that HDMI input and there was my Chromecast, ready to connect to the Internet and update itself (controlled using Chromecast app downloaded to my laptop).

After a couple of minutes, I was selecting a programme to watch on BBC iPlayer on my Android tablet, pressing the iPlayer "cast" button, and watching my programme (in pretty good HD) on my TV!

I also tried YouTube and we had great fun selecting old Top of the Pops clips on the tablet and casting them to the TV.

ITV, Channel 4 and 5 are not supporting this device. Sky are thinking about it. Well I think they will all have to think very carefully about this as this device is a huge winner and they will be the losers. Well done Auntie Beeb for having the foresight to support Chromecast which I LOVE. I am perfectly happy with all my BBC programmes (though no radio) as well as the odd YouTube video. Yah, boo, sucks to the other broadcasters!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for about 6 Weeks before problems started, 23 Nov. 2014

Can't find any way of returning to Amazon for exchange, telling me it's out of return period. Contacted Google UK support for exchange, after 40 minutes on the phone running through various checks to remedy problems,they agree to exchange my Chromecast once I have provided proof of purchase from Amazon. They tell me they will email me me with the details. One week later no email received. Back on the phone the Google UK support for another 40 minutes. After running through the same time wasting checks, they tell me they can't help me, because they are in the Phillpines and don't support the UK. They tell me to phone the UK support line and give me the same number I already have. I phone Google UK support for a third time. I ask them, before we go any further, are you the UK support helpline, they say no, but it doesn't matter, they can help me anyway. Another 40 minutes later running through same time wasting checks, they tell me they will get their experts to look into the problem and get back to me.

I have not heard from them, still no idea how to return faulty Chromecast.

I would advise anyone wanting to buy a Chromecast to but one from a local shop like Currys, PC world or Argos, that way you can return it to the shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I'm buying one for every TV in the house, 11 Dec. 2014
I love it, It turns any TV into a smart TV, and cheap too. I can watch youtube, Netflix (it doesn't come with a netflix subscription, you have to pay for that separately), BBC Iplayer and many more all from my phone, and have it stream straight to the TV. There is also an Addon for chrome, meaning you can stream any tab, straight to the TV, A nice feature.
As I said in the title, I love it so much I am buying one for every TV in the house.

3.0 out of 5 stars Initially it did the job fine but 4 days in and Netflix refuses to stream ..., 17 Sept. 2014
I purchased Chromecast to save from buying another PC as I wanted a solution where I could stream from my laptop and work on it wirelessly at the same time. Initially it did the job fine but 4 days in and Netflix refuses to stream resulting in using my HDMI cable to stream HD shows and losing my ability to use my laptop for other purposes. I completely understand that this is a relatively new product compared to my other choice, Apple TV and at a significantly better price too but it has disappointed me as Netflix was the major drawing card. The other drawback of this product is that you have to use Google Chrome, open firewall ports / change router settings and can't set to transmit in 1080p. These features, I assume, will come in time but so will Firefox's equivalent. The price is great if you want to stream anything but Netflx set to HD via WiFi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what BT Sport and PLEX needs, 10 April 2014
For those of us who up to now have only been able to access BT Sport via a tablet or laptop, this is the solution to displaying it on a flat screen tv without using an HDMI cable. The BT Sport app now has a Chromecast 'button' which tells the Chromecast adaptor (plugged into a spare HDMI port on the tv) to use its own 'built-in' BT Sport app to start decoding the stream directly. This means the quality of the stream is maintained and the tablet or laptop can be turned off or used for something else. The only other thing that is required is a power feed - a mains adaptor and cable are supplied but if your tv has a spare usb port you may be able to use this instead. My LG tv has 3 usb ports very close to its HDMI ports and I purchased a short usb to micro usb adaptor cable for a very neat installation.

For those of you who have a PLEX media sharing setup I recommend this as a means of getting PLEX on your TV if it hasn't got PLEX 'built-in' (like my LG) or as an alternative to using DNLA. If you aren't using PLEX I recommend having a look at plex.tv. Its the best all round solution to keeping all that media under control!