on 24 December 2014
I have 2 non-HD bullets and previously tried the original 1080 bullet which I returned. I also had some Knights previously in external enclosures.

I've been waiting for the prices to come down on this 2nd gen Bullet 1080 and when it was on sale I got one to try. I have to say that I expected a lot for the price against the original Bullet and in some ways I have not been disappointed:

- 1080 image is a lot better than non-HD bullet, no contest, though not as clear as you'd think
- H264 compression means bandwidth is not a lot higher than non-HD MJPEG with somewhat better FPS
- Much smaller than original bullet
- uSD card supports 64GB while the original Bullet could only do 8GB
- N (150Mbps max) wireless is a lot faster and has better range than Bullet with G (54Mbps max)
- Small included "breakout box" means no breakout box/wall-mount? is needed anymore and less wires (can do Power over Ethernet too!)

The main issue is that the mount is different from the old one so you will need to drill new holes and mount it differently, possibly over the "hole in the wall" since the cables might go through the hole of the breakout box.

The leads are only as long to get into the box - and are far shorter than the original bullet; thus they are unlikely to get to the original breakout box you may have for your existing install; either you need to have cables bypassing the new breakout box or extending the old ones effectively having 2 breakout boxes.

The previous 1080 bullet had the same mount so was pretty much replace non-HD bullet with HD bullet; the "compatible"/"look-alike" cameras also on Amazon are still using the old mount so they would make better sense. They are also far less expensive.

The software is pretty much an updated version of the old, I don't see any stand-out features - if you are familiar with the old Y-cams then you're pretty much there. For both iOS and Android I found 3-rd party apps have better support and functionality than official Y-Cam apps (select "Cube 1080" as model if new Y-Cam cams are not listed).

As it is, the price is almost 2x similar 1080 "bullets" by other manufacturers with not any special features that I see. Even at the sale price with 1/3 off it is still overpriced IMHO. If you want to stay with Y-Cam then it may be worth it...

Note: This has corrupted its firmware twice now, requiring recovery - note that it enables a DHCP server - which in my case started assigning IP addresses to systems on my LAN (managed to respond faster than current DHCP server) which confused me no end. Perhaps they should add a delay so that the proper one responds - and if no DHCP server then start dishing out IP addresses...
on 9 December 2014
Good product and very good price on Black Friday. I would recommend that you go down the POE cabled route as I found the wifi a little unstable when connected to my Apple Airport Extreme. The device is rated as IP66 but I personally find the number of screws and fixings which are going to rained on a little worrying. I don't doubt it's weatherproof but it will be interesting to see how it copes with a couple of years of UK weather.
on 17 February 2015
Struggling to get it to work and cant get a response from the help forum - I've now posted question plus 3 reminders but nobody gets back to you
on 28 May 2015
Wish I could give this zero stars, purchased two cameras and ended up with two different models. Tried to connect with the default username and password but could not connect even after a reset. Managed to get through to the technical support on the phone and vague wasn't the word, no help what so ever.
on 3 August 2014
I had high hopes for this new HD CCTV. I have the other indoor HD home monitor units and swear by them however the outdoor cam needs to have an option to invert the image as I have to mount mine upside down on the roof eves hence the images are not right way up when viewing. Most other competitors have this including all my previous purchases, if Y cam could just add this please. I still get the halo or white spot effect on all my cameras which I think is the reflection of the IR light source from the inside of the clear plastic lense which is also very disappointing. y cam are on the right track here but please review these few glitches
on 10 July 2014
I've had a 2nd generation Bullet HD for a couple of weeks after Y-Cam replaced my faulty 1st generation bullet (excellent customer service from the support team) and already it has proven it's worth.

This camera is very easy to set-up and works really well over my wifi (much better than the previous version), I'm also able to view it via an iPhone app so I can keep an eye on things when away. The build quality is very good and they have done away with the mass of cables that the 1st gen had, leaving a simple power cable & ethernet connector (if you want to use that instead of wifi).

Using the record on motion detection direct to an internal SD card I discovered someone trying to get into our cars a few nights ago. Due to the high quality of the recording the police have been able to take away a copy of the footage and already think they can identify a potential suspect.
on 25 August 2014
This is a pretty awesome camera - the quality is impressive and it works well at night too. Big step forward over the previous gen Bullet HD (which I also own). Support from Y-Cam has been responsive too.
on 2 March 2015
Works well
on 9 October 2015
Does what it says on the tin!
on 19 December 2014