5.0 out of 5 stars Great tribute to a great artist, 24 Mar 2014
A. Townsend - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plácido Domingo at the MET (Audio CD)
Hooray, hooray for opera house archives. What a treasure trove the Met and Sony have delivered! The quality of the sound is, on my playback equipment, excellent from the earliest to the most recent recordings. The earliest performance is from 1969 and the most recent from 2013, with a total of 42 tracks, 21 of which are 'first releases'! The all-Verdi disc has been exceptionally well put-together, opening with Gabriele Adorno while saving Simon himself for the penultimate track, and with Germont père following his son as the centre-piece! And whoever came up with the idea of putting Niun mi tema immediately after La donna è mobile was a genius! There are treats galore on all three discs, personal highlights being the Gluck, the Tchaikovsky, the Wolf-Ferrari and the Tan Dun, as these come from performances which, despite the distance between my home and New York, I have been able to note in the booklet that 'I was there'!

Given the depth and range of Mr Domingo's repertoire and his length of career, choosing the items for a 3-CD set from any of the major opera houses is bound to require some very tough decisions! Bearing this in mind, what follows is an observation rather than a complaint. I would have loved a Mozart item in this set as I retain to this day wonderful memories of a Domingo performance of Idomeneo at the Met in October 2001.

A final and fitting note - Amazon had been informing me for several weeks that this order would be delivered to me on 24 March 2014. In the event, there was a knock on my door the previous day and a courier delivered it to me by hand, on SUNDAY the 23rd!

5.0 out of 5 stars Domingo lover? Then this is for you!, 25 Mar 2014
Safl "DFS" (Ilkeston, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plácido Domingo at the MET (Audio CD)
This is without doubt one of the best Classical CD box sets I've bought for a long time. I already had a few of the performances, but there were a lot I didn't have, and one or two that I was totally unfamiliar with. I have always preferred Domingo's darker high baritone timbre to the brasher delivery of Pavarotti. And in fact we do get one of his more recent forays into the baritone repertoire with Père Germont's 'Di Provenza il mar'. There are a lot of cherries, here, of course, but also quite a few less commonly heard pieces - Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari's 'Sly', for example, and Tan Dun's 'The First Emperor'. They are not presented chronologically; rather, they are grouped in operatic styles or composers. Most are from Italian operas, but we also get a goodish dose of French, some Wagner, one Russian and one in English.
The sound is overall excellent, with depth and a good balance between voice and orchestra, the brass coming over particularly well even on my small external computer speakers. There is no audience noise, and the applause is faded out after around six seconds - on occasions not included at all.
There is a mini booklet included, with full track listings giving performance dates, conductor and any accompanying singers; one or two photos of Domingo in costume for some of the featured performances; and a full list of all his Met appearances.
I am hugely pleased I decided to try this set, and I give it a hearty recommendation to any Domingo lover reading this. I doubt you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars GLORIOUS DOMINGO, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Plácido Domingo at the MET (Audio CD)
Domingo has been always there, from the very beginning of my operagoing years. Singing most of the times gloriously with a darkish tenor voice, manly and sweet, when needed, romantic and heroic, and a warmth that, in a good night (and there've been so many!), caressed the ears and excited the senses. He may not have been blessed with a very easy top (neither was Caruso), but in artistry, musicianship and breadth of repertoty he is peerless. I've had the good fortune of seeing him many times, mainly at Covent Garden, but also the Met, Los Angeles, Teatro Real (Madrid) and Liceu (Barcelona). I will never forget that superb Otello in London, conducted by Carlos Kleiber, followed a few months later by a Rodolfo (Bohème) that brought tears to my eyes. I had the opportunity of asking Dame Eva Turner, that despite being in her nineties attended opera performances regularly at the ROH, for her opinion of Domingo's performance of Otello that night and the legendary soprano, without hesitation, replied that it was the best Otello she had ever heard. And when I dared ask if she was including Martinelli's (widely regarded as a peerles Moor and a tenor idolised by her, who usually called him "the prince of Italian tenors", rolling her r's marvellously) she again repeated, the best I've heard. Not many of the arias and scenes of 39 roles, captured live at the MET, and released now by Sony to celebrate the 45th anniversary of his debut in that house, reach that same level of sublime excellence. How could they? But they never are less than compelling performances and altogether represent quite a comprehensive sample of Domingo's unique artistry. It would take too much space to mention all my favourites. In the first disc alone (dedicated to Verdi, his -and my- favourite composer) there are several wonderful performances from Simon Boccanegra (as Grabiele in 1995 and the baritone title role in 2010), Don Carlo, Rodolfo (Luisa Miller), La Forza del Destino, Il Trovatore (with a small but superb contibution of Montserrat Caballé, in a recording from 1973 that Sony should release complete), Traviata (as Alfredo y Germont)..., and a spellbinding Otello (Niun mi tema). The second disc (mainly Puccini and verismo) has some great tracks as well (including a Recondita Armonia from 1969, the oldest recording in the set, just a year after his debut in the Met), with a Domingo suitably ardent in most of them. Finally, the third disc, with a selection of excerpts from the French, Russian and German schools (apart from Tan Dun's Emperor Quin, a role in English he created in 2007), is a showcase of Domingo's umparalleled versatility. Of course of many selections one can think of individual performances sung better by other tenors from the past and even the present. But taken as a whole, there in no other singer that could approach him in range and consistent high level of excellence. Domingo is a miracle and this set will be good testimony for those in the future that didn't have the fortune to see him on stage. The general quality of the sound is very good. The booklet could have been meatier, but has some nice pictures. Highly recommended.

Plácido Domingo at the MET
Plácido Domingo at the MET by Plácido Domingo (Audio CD - 2014)