5.0 out of 5 stars Quality piece of kit
I've tried various external disk caddies in my time, and none of them have the quality feel of them that this Icy Box does. It may be a little more expensive than some, but it's very much worth it for the quality you get.

It's whisper quiet in use, quick to activate, and even puts itself to sleep if you turn the computer off.
Published 13 months ago by Joe

I've been generous in giving it two stars. Yes, it's an excellent reliable piece of kit but there's two main problems that would prevent me from recommending this.

Published 9 months ago by Alison Kristina

2.0 out of 5 stars it's an excellent reliable piece of kit but there's two main problems ..., 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Icy Box IB-3620U3 External 2 Bay JBOD System for 3.5 inch SATA I/II/III HDD (Accessory)

1. The Icy website says "Silent operation by thermal controlled fan". The reality is that the fan is anything but silent, even at its lowest setting. Especially if you place it on your desktop next to your monitor like I have. I've replaced the fan with a Nanoxia Deep Silence 60mm - 2000 RPM Case Fan which makes a much more tolerable noise (despite being much thicker and therefore sticking out the back of the Icy box), but it's still far noisier than I would like.

2. I've left the worse problem until last. "Energy saving by supporting sleep modus!" yes, it does go to sleep, but only when you turn your computer off. My WD Mybook, which this replaces goes to sleep after about 30 secs of non use, even whilst the PC is on. This thing stays on at all times when your PC is on, it does NOT go to sleep unless you turn your PC off. If This had been made clear on the ICY website I would not have bought it.

So if you're looking for a DAS storage solution that is quiet and goes to sleep when not being used, then look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy some earplugs in the same Amazon order!, 30 Aug. 2014
M. R. J. Murphy (Italy) - See all my reviews
There are a couple of positives to this. First of all, and though not mentioned in the documentation, this enclosure DOES work with linux (I am on Mint 17, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions), and it WILL respond to some smart monitoring tools enquiries. It's acceptably quick, too, for someone used to SATA 150 speeds.

Thankfully, I don't need the HDDs I bought it to contain all the time because this unit has a noisy, Noisy, NOISY fan. I bought a 3 metre USB extension cable, to see whether I could ignore the noise at a distance of 2 to 2.5m - the distance for the ISO Standard on measuring acoustics is 0.6m (that's two feet in old money), It is still quite noticeable. In fact, I can hear it from a few feet outside my study.

Last nail in the coffin - a question about support left on RAIDSONIC's website went unanswered.

I plan to replace it with a proper SAN as soon as I afford it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality piece of kit, 23 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars re: excellent, 1 May 2014
Excellent bit of kit, does what I says, simple to use drive just slots in a matter of seconds and away you go

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little disk enclosure, 11 Feb. 2015
Great little box, simple to use just add the bracket to the drive and slot it in. Usb speeds seem to be good ranging from 70 - 100MB/s through put over usb. Very quiet as well, hardly notice it's on other than the lights on the front.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little box, 20 July 2014
Rob - See all my reviews
What a great little box! Looks nice and tidy on the desktop and is small enough to hide behind the monitor. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Read and write speeds are reasonably quick and the box is solid and well made. My only minor gripe is that the supplied USB 3 cable is quite short (1m) but this was easily rectified by buying a longer one. 2 3tb drives installed with no problem an immediately recognised by the PC and the hot swap works perfectly as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice piece of kit this, 9 Oct. 2014
Very nice piece of kit this.
2x 3.5 inch hard drives added to my system, which are very easily connected via usb 3.0.
and is aesthetically pleasing. with some very good features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to set up, 8 Jan. 2015
Purchased to rescue a broken external hard drive. Very easy to set up. Very quiet. Couldn't be happier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 25 Nov. 2014
Nosier than expected, but don't leave it on all the time therefore its bearable when doing back-ups

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 Jan. 2015
Exactly what i needed. Cosmetically pleasing as well!!