Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 May 2014
Universal have done right by Ms Grace Jones' magnum opus, "Nightclubbing": the remaster by esteemed Kevin Reeves is truly superlative. The album's wide stereo sound field is beautifully crisp, clear and transparent, with plenty of bottom end from Sly & Robbie - and so many delicate, iridescent touches from Wally Badarou's keyboards and Sticky Thompson's percussion! Ms Jones' Island trilogy was always aural nirvana, but now "Nightclubbing", at least, is absolutely compulsive listening. All the mixes on the second disc sound flawless, also.
The packaging is indeed fairly flimsy with no outer sleeve, but the booklet is well-produced and Darryl Easlea's liner notes detail the album's context, along with some great pix of La Jones.
Now Universal need to get cracking on "Warm Leatherette", "Living My Life" and "Slave To The Rhythm"!
on 21 June 2014
If you have ever been slightly curious about Grace's musical career then you could do a lot worse than start here. She had (and still has) the ability to turn a song into her own regardless of whether it was originally a male or female orientated vocal. Most people think she's bonkers. Well, she may be on camera, but on disc she rules...period. This album WAS cool anyway but this version really does do it justice.

The band that played behind her when she recorded her Nassau trilogy (this one, Warm Leatherette and Living My Life) were REALLY at the top of their game. Grace only adds to it by being completely cool at what she does. She is more a narrator rather than a vocalist but that only adds to the mix. She ALWAYS pulls it off. I much prefer when she does a male vocal a la Demolition Man (Sting song). She injects it with a personality a thousand times more than he ever could.

Do yourself a favour and invest. Grace is HUGELY underrated.

You're welcome. :-)
on 5 May 2014
Good album made great by extended mixes. Take a lot of funk and add reggae, blues, soul and jazz plus spice up with some pizzaz and you have a unique combination. This album was made in 1981, but it hasn't aged and will it still sounds fresh in 2021.

Remastering adds extra kick and zing (like it should) and gives sinewy, throbbing muscle to the sound. I have been playing CD2 constantly since receiving it. Like any good CD it reveals hidden layers on each listen. A lot of care went into the recording, and it shows. Credit to Kevin Reeves at 4th Floor Studios for a good remaster.

'The Compass Point All-Star band' really hit their stride here. Sly & Robbie’s drum and bass give sympathetic rhythm whilst Wally Badarou’s keyboards shimmer over the top and the guitar and, and… Check out the compilation ‘Funky Nassau’ for more.

Disc 1 (38:26) Original album, no extras even though there are more out there.

Disc 2 (76:59)
All good to fantastic - but the quiet tracks sound really great and allow the music space to 'breathe':
• I’ve Seen That Face Before (Libertango) 12” version (5:40)
• I’ve Seen That Face Before (Libertango) Spanish version (Esta Cara Me Es Conocida) (4:33)
• Walking in the Rain 12” version

Pull Up to the Bumper was the lead single – great track with multiple mixes that are all essential variations on the original:
• Long Version UK 12” (5:45) definitive
• Remixed Version (7:17) – mostly instrumental – often found on 80s compilations.
• US Party Version (5:00) – good – straight into vocal intro(?)
• Instrumental ‘Peanut Butter ’ (5:11) – extra funk factor.
• 1985 remix (6:26) re-released after ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
Sly & Robbie think it’s their best groove – and these versions show that they are right.

Extra tracks are good, but the remixed tracks are even better.

Sleeve notes are comprehensive - a full essay. Covers the story of some of the covers - Bill Withers 'Use Me' is unrecognisable. Shame the sleeve notes missed out on a few factors e.g. giving credit to the gay audience who were the foundation of her initial success; no record sleeve images; the album and singles were not big 'pop hits in 1981 - they were ahead of their time. But hey these are small gripes for such a great reissue.

If you already have the ‘Private Life – Compass Point Session’ (‘PLCPS’) and are wondering whether it is worth taking the plunge on this version – then just do it. I'm so glad that I did! Points to consider are:
1. The sound is better again that the good sound on ‘PLCPS'. Really throbs through a good sound system. ‘PLCPS’ was good for it’s time but was released 16 years ago!
2. The mixes are different, in a good way. The mix of ‘Walking in the Rain’ from ‘PLCPS’ is not on here.
3. CD2 is 77 minutes of great stuff plus you get a free album!
4. The sleeve notes are really informative.
In other words just buy it - they may give her other albums the same deluxe treatment!
P.S. 1981 was a diverse year for music – for another extreme check out the 4CD box set of ‘The Sound’.
88 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2014
Nightclubbing is my favourite Grace Jones album and arrived this morning and comes beautifully packaged,with a great little booklet containing photos and info.Now the good news,i owned the previous release of this which i bought around 1990,which sounded terrible even then.so putting this deluxe version on today was pure bliss,sounds absolutely amazing.had it on my ipod and there were sounds that i have never heard before,such as the thunder on "walking in the rain".Includes lots of 12" mixes.pull up to the bumper being the most famous.some b-sides but the real star of the show are 2 previously un-released tracks one being a superb jones-esque cover of gary numan/tubeway army,me,i disconnect from you,which is worth the price of the album itself!The whole album is superb and should take pride in any serious music aficionado collection.superb release 5 stars
1616 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2015
I'm not a huge fan of Ms Grace, either musically or stylistically, but I have to say this is a sublime, sexy album. My curiosity was first piqued when, as a young apprentice gender-bender, I discovered the vinyl copy in a mate's collection, with its fiercely androgynous cover image - beautiful in an unsettling way. Then for about a year I seemed to hear it in every student bedsit and hall I went into, especially the gay ones (male and female), so I ended up buying it myself. Apart from the lubricious thrill of listening to something that to a sensitive Catholic seemed slightly forbidden, I was very impressed with the music. Grace doesn't really sing, of course - she intones, or incants - and reveals herself to be a slave to the rhythm before the eponymous album appeared. 'Pull Up To The Bumper' is unabashed erotica, and far sexier and funkier, in my view, than Madonna could hope to be; while her cover of 'Use Me' (which I heard before the original) had me nearly "waving my conscience bye-bye" in my desire to try it out. There are even gentler moments too, like 'Art Groupie' and the playful 'Feel Up'. I'd probably not want to meet her in a dark alley late at night, but as for her portrayal of the joys of nichtclubbing. . .well, like the lady says, "Oh, isn't it wild!".
on 26 May 2014
Simply put, the best album released by Grace Jones (to date), now with an extra disc of extended versions, remixes and a couple of new tracks. I thought the original could not be beaten but with the additional versions of songs it makes the full album more complete. The cover of the Gary Numan song is excellent and sounds nothing like the original, the extended versions are fun and for me make this the essential album to own. It does not sound dated at all, fresh and ready to burn into your mind for a long time, the soundtrack of my life would not be complete without this album.
on 24 May 2014
Excellent album - bonus tracks superb. Gary Numan would love her version of Me I Disconnect From You.
Don't be fooled by the picture of the supposed book. It's just like any other CD insert. But the music is what counts and that's great
on 29 May 2014
What an absolute delight to hear the original album remastered with such clarity of sound! Disc two is a must have for serious Grace Jones fans. It's great to have these long, extended and remixed versions; many of which I have never owned and some versions I am hearing for the first time. Of course, the two previously unreleased songs are gems to add to my Grace collection. I love the sleek packaging and the informative booklet. This is a set befitting the iconic queen of the culmination of fashion, art, and music.
on 4 May 2014
This is my favorite blu-ray audio title at the moment for a number of reasons. First, I'm a child of the 80s & for whatever reason, high def audio formats (DVD-A, SACD, FLAC) always seem to favor the standard 70s album-oriented rock titles, which I had tired of in the 80s. So it's nice to see something from the 80s make it onto the new blu-ray format, particularly a title that hasn't seen a release on any of the other formats. To add to that, it's not a release I would have expected on the format so soon in the game, as it didn't have any #1 hits on the US or Uk pop charts and Grace was probably better known in the US for her late-night Letterman appearances than for her music.

A single listen, however, confirms that Grace Jones' Compass Point Sessions for this 1981 release really were under-rated gems which didn't get the attention they deserved (outside of gay clubs). Grace Jones' earlier disco-era stuff was really a mixed bag and she didn't really become the artist she is until these more experimental releases (combining reggae, dub, disco, new wave & avant garde rock). The sound of the blu-ray really is magnificent. I didn't think the original CD (despite the edits) was that horrible- sounding, but it also didn't really shine either. The blu-ray really draws out details (the sounds of rain in Walking In The Rain, the sounds of dogs barking on Feel Up...) very nicely. Like most others, it offers 3 options. I've been so used to just listening to the PCM stereo track, which sounds nice here, but because I love the album so much, I decided to run through again on the other formats & this is the first time I really noticed a difference.....The Dolby TrueHD version sounds outstanding....very 3-dimensional (despite being 2.0) & full sounding, love it, don't think I'll go back to the PCM stereo for this one.

...and now for the real joy...the blu-ray contains all the tracks (22 in total) of the deluxe 2xcd version on one disc in all 3 formats. The bonus tracks (all the 12" versions & b-sides, with the exception of perhaps the Megamix medley & one or 2 others) are also remastered (and not from vinyl!) to full effect....and you can pick up all of them on one disc for less than what one of the rare OOP 12" singles probably would have cost you a few years ago. To add to that you get a download code for mp3s of all the tracks. UMG has really done right by this one (for once....after all those other blu-rays of albums that had also been released as multi-disc boxes without any of the extra material on them), hopefully they will do the same for all future releases. I can't wait for the remainder of these sessions (Warm Leatherette (1980) & Living My Life (1982) to make it to blu-ray audio.
on 6 June 2014
I had this CD before but was tempted to purchase the Deluxe Edition with two CD's (The first CD is a repeat of the single I owned already and the 2nd one was a couple of re-mixed tracks - "Pull Up To The Bumper" and three new tracks - "If You Wanna Be My Lover" and "Me! I disconnect from you" and "Peanut Butter" - (which is the instrumental to PUTTB).

All in all - for purists - like me.