4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be much better.
After running TomToms for around 10 years (at 35,000+ miles pa), this was the first time I'e tried anything else. To be frank, I have mixed feelings; in comparison to my most recent Tomtom 1005's and other "modern" Tomtoms:
Positives:
1. Retains a compact 5" screen that will go into a trouser pocket to take with you.
2. It remembers where you...
Published 6 months ago by John

1.0 out of 5 stars Premium sat nav, only on the paper!
After long research, bought garmin 3598 as update to my garmin nuvi 200, 8years old.
5 inch with 800x600 display, full europe maps, lifetime maps and traffic sound great.
Sadly, only on the paper.
Sat nav comes with software ver 4.40, garmin express updated it to 4.60 and then problem started.
1. can't charge sat nav through usb or wall charger. saying...
Published 4 months ago by Robert Szlandakowski

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be much better., 27 Nov. 2014
Positives:
2. It remembers where you last left the car automatically, so it's easy to find your way back in a strange town without the pain of having to retrace your steps.
3. The screen is very high resolution and extremely clear.
4. The screen will orientate itself like an iPhone, so it can be mounted horizontally, or vertically, without having to manually change anything.
5. Very fast processing speed
6. Excellent "photo real" junctions, but limited to only motorway intersections (apparently), so naff all use in Cornwall!
7. Excellent screen mount.
8. Fabulous voice recognition software - first class! Also retains telephone hands free calling - something now denied to TomTom users.
9. User options on it are much more extensive and less "Noddy" than current TomToms.
Negatives:
1. Disappointingly infrequent map and software updates.
2. Traffic services not a patch on TomTom Live Services. Do not think that you're getting the same thing!
3. Wiring much clumsier and the ridiculous radio antennae (to pick up traffic broadcasts), that they suggest you stick to the windscreen, directly in your line of sight (!!!), is at least 6 years out of date. The single worst aspect of the unit.
4. Unbelievably, if you want to upload the latest maps (a free option that the marketing makes a lot of), you'll need to buy more memory or it simply won't load!! Budget for an additional 4GB memory card, or use the unit as a paper weight. Fortunately, the card is only about £4, but it's a major aggravation when you first open the unit and it won't work properly without it!
Conclusion:
Mixed feelings for sure. It's a good, if slightly flawed unit. However, in comparison to the much more badly flawed current generation of TomToms, I wouldn't dream of going back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent navigation with live traffic feeds, 7 Mar. 2014
Having read all the reviews of most of the SatNavs on the market, I settled for the Garmin 2508LT-D.

The issue I had with all the reviews is that they are very mixed. Lots of people adore a specific SatNav, and lots of people hate the same unit! This makes it very difficult for people like me to establish which is the best to go for.

I have had an old TomTom One unit for many years, and whilst it was okay it did struggle with some of the navigation. I also spent a whole day connecting it up and getting the latest maps etc. which was a total nightmare with TomTom (something others have commented on in their reviews).

I do a lot of miles in a car, though largely on motorways and A roads. I live on the South Coast of the UK so I am frequently up the M3, the A34 to the M40, and north of Bimingham to Manchester or up to Doncaster and back.

My key requirements were: 1. Good screen that is easy to read in the daytime but also when dimmed at night/early mornings. 2. Live traffic updates. 3. Decent navigation accuracy. I have no need for voice activation as I typically put a postcode in and 3 hours later I arrive. I also have no need for integrated Bluetooth or mobile as I also have a phone installed.

In terms of the screen, this unit is really good. Clear, no fuss, nice alerts at the top of the screen, easy to setup and it worked out of the box. At night it auto-dims (or you can set the brightness manually) and I've done around 5,000 miles with it and still find it a great screen. I typically have it on mute, but you can turn the volume down to a low level and still be alerted to speed cameras etc. without intrusion (nothing worse than a SatNav constantly beeping at you - this one doesn't, and you can configure the warning sounds etc).

The best thing about this SatNav is the live traffic updates. This worked straight out of the box and has already been hugely useful. When on a journey, it will warn you of traffic, estimate (and add) the extra journey time and/or allow you to re-route to avoid. I typically find that if there is traffic on, say, the M40, then I just like to know that my journey will take another 10 minutes rather than bothering to re-route. The live traffic is definitely the best reason to get this unit, though I suspect others have the same feature also. I have to say when I was choosing the unit, the TomTom units seemed much more expensive with live traffic updates though.

And finally the navigation. No problems at all so far and it certainly seems smarter than my old TomTom even with the latest maps etc. It just seems more intuitive, and having visited many different business in major towns and in the middle of nowhere, this has not let me know.

My one tiny gripe (though I suspect I just haven't found the function yet) is there is no countdown of the total miles of the trip. It shows you the estimated arrival time but not the mileage countdown, and I tend to always check my car's trip computer to ensure my remaining fuel mileage is always enough to get to the destination which I can't do with this SatNav. As I say, I feel there is a way of showing this (it has a "trip monitor" feature which I haven't bothered to understand yet) so it definitely doesn't warrant one less star on the review.

Overall, this is a really great unit, and I had a local mobile stereo fitter install the wiring behind the dash and add a 12v socket out of sight so I don't have to suffer with trailing wires etc (great result for £35). I would highly recommend the Garmin 2508LT-D.

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom killer, 6 Nov. 2013
I have owned TomTom devices for the last 6 years and have got through 3 of them now. Appalled by the consistently poor(non-existent) service offered by TomTom and the fact that my last two devices have basically died and won't even turn on without being plugged in to a power source I decided to try something else. Believe me, this was not a decision I took lightly as I had been loyal to TomTom for years and very nearly bought the new TomTom Go 5000/6000. I tried both out extensively and decided against the new generation of TomTom device as it has been released in an appalling state of development and should never have been released - just google reviews for it to see what people have to say! There is very limited functionality and I think this new generation has gone for 'pretty' in terms of graphics rather than a proper user interface. Anyway... the Garmin nuvi 3598 is the best SatNav I have ever used by a country mile. The touchscreen is clear and responsive, the voice control works! But more than that, the interface is engaging and interactive. It has taken a little while to get used to from being a TomTom user for years but I have persevered and it has been worth it. The performance exceeds anything I have seen from TomTom in a multitude of ways. Here are just a few of them:

Real-signs are shown which actually look like the ones on the motorway
Junction numbers come up on screen and are spoken making navigation easier
The digital traffic is the best I have ever used, 30 second updates make the information meaningful and you can see delays building long in front of you, helping you make informed decisions about routing. This is far superior to TomTom traffic which I have been using for 4 years and thought theirs was good. (Much more detailed information is available: Broken down vehicle reported in lane one for example).
Place names are shown on the map.
Touch a point on the map to navigate to it.
Detailed weather information etc. available to view
Garmin Smartphone Link actually works unlike TomTom Search which was always very clunky.
There are a plethora of other features which I am still discovering two weeks after buying the device!

The only couple of minor issues I have with Garmin are that to date no manual has been released making using the 3598 a bit like 'suck it and see'. Secondly I have seen comments that the arrival time estimated can be overstated by the device. This appears to be true to a degree if the journey is very short or only on minor roads. In reality my TomTom underestimated the journey time, particularly when there was a traffic delay and ultimately I'd rather arrive early than late, therefore the Garmin wins for me on this score too!

In summary, long time Garmin customers will love it as the functionality and sheer usability of the device is fantastic. For TomTom customers, all I can say is give it a go and stick with it. It beats every TomTom I've ever owned hands down. Best tech decision I've ever made. I may never go back to TomTom unless they sort their development, support and usability issues out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Premium sat nav, only on the paper!, 15 Jan. 2015
Sadly, only on the paper.
1. can't charge sat nav through usb or wall charger. saying that the cable is not genuine.
2. All roads starting with"A" e.g. A59, A5002 etc sat nav calls "Road". I stuck few times not knowing where to go! Take exit on the Road isnt a big help from £249 sat nav!
3. Included power cable with build in antenna is big,heavy and a little to short.
4. Poor quality of blutooth calls for that premium gadget.
Sorry Garmin, you have lost customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider this before. Buying TomTom, 27 Dec. 2013
S. E. Cook (Harlow, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have purchased tom tom for over 20 years however although the HD traffic is good be aware! The availability of the service is appalling. After being asked by Tom Tom to renew my subscription (50 quid) I thought it was time to ditch them and try Garmin. This is an excellent product, the quality is much better than tom tom and the traffic uses the RDS traffic system. However if you do want to link to the live traffic through your phone the subscription is much cheaper although you do need to use your phones data service.

The product looks and feels like an apple product such is the finish and the screen is much better than rival tom tom devices. It's less bulky although the traffic receiver is external to the device (but very small and built into the wire).

The traffic options for Garmin are confusing there are three different options one is traffic via the FM, one is via the DAB frequency and one is via a smart phone (Internet link). The difference between the FM and DAB is the speed of the transmission DAB is every 30 seconds and FM is every 1-2 minutes. The smart link (phone) system is live.

I think I am a convert, it's a shame tom tom provide such a poor service, I doubt they would provide their service availability stats but trust me they are very poor - just read the other reviews here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems updating software /maps, 21 April 2014
I had read on the Which website that people had problems with the Sat Nav when updating the maps /software and to be honest I thought it was down to them not being able to use the software correctly lol. Anyhow I had the same problem (Lack of memory which you don't expect on a brand new the top of the range unit), however, even buying a micro SD card did not solve the problem. - It did allow the software to be updated but not the maps.

I contacted Garmin customer services - really a waste of time - so sent the unit back for a refund and had to pay Amazon for the privilege.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and the best yet.!!!, 30 Nov. 2014
Mr. S. R. Reece "Topcat" (West Midlands England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Firstly...I want to address that I give this 4 and a half stars due to a unforgivable issue with Garmin which I will mention later.
I own the Garmin 2460 and after 4 years I thought it was time to upgrade I have also owned other makes (but never a tom tom...I just don't like them...design wise or interface)...Anyway....I decided to go with the 3598 ltd not just because of the features and beautiful looks...but because I got it cheaper then Amazon (£200) in fact..(sorry Amazon)...and boy I was not dissapointed.
Out of the box it's incredibly well made...glass screen and aluminium body...it just oozes quality...I was already familiar with the interface to some degree...there have been some minor changes to my 2460 ....First thing I did was update by connection to my computer....The software update was a doddle...HOWEVER....what Garmin neglect to tell you is...the other Europeon countries need to be downloaded to a 4+ gb micro SD card....in other words...an 8gb (MAX) in this case....This in my opinion is unacceptable by Garmin..(I'm NOT blaming the machine's performance in any way)....HENCE my 4 star rating for Garmin themselves..Why Oh why would Garmin send a premium sat nav out with not enough memory to withstand a full Europeon download is beyond me...Shame on you Garmin..!!!!...and this is very misleading to many buyers....That aside...things still didn't go too well.....Let me explain....I already had the Garmin Express on my computer (due to my existing Garmin)...plus the plug in for transfer of Data....BUT ..(and I think this is where some reviewers have moaned) Google Chrome refused to let the plug in work....SO...I switched to Internet Explorer and everything went well....very smooth in fact....I will point out at this point that I also bought the latest USA Northern States because I travel there several times a year....so the 8gb card was a perfect fit for the Full European maps and Northern USA leaving just a few MB's left.....BY the way...If you have a smartphone...get the Garmin app..it works seemlessly with the unit giving you that extra bit of info that comes in handy.!!
SO....back to the machine itself....It's quick...VERY quick compared to older models...the interface is easy to understand (not to some as I have read)...and within several minutes I had it set to my specification...Those that have transferred from a tom tom (and other makes) may find it very different...but anyone with any brains should work it out easily..!!...I have read the negative reviews and in my opinion they are not really justified to give the 1 star rating they have given this machine,due to their lack of knowledge....It IS a brilliant Sat Nav at getting you from A to B...plus the interface between a smartphone is also very good giving you that bit extra control
There's not a lot this Sat Nav doesn't cover in abilites....Hands free phone...clear speech...named streets and things to look for when making a direction change..(Example...Turn right at Traffic lights)...Where I live has lots of tricky roads to manouvre and it never faulted ...and it's quick at giving directions even if roads or islands are close together...I was very impressed,compared to my older model....I have tested just about every feature on this Sat Nav and it's performed impeccably on all accounts...I really don't understand the negative reviews at all..!!!..The screen is gloriously clear,despite it's glossy appearance and doesn't cause much reflection,even in bright sunlight...these new Sat Navs are more like a smart phone in the way you interact with them...swipe...pinch and zoom..it's a dream to use.
The voice control is also around 95% accurate...you HAVE to give the Sat Nav time to finish what she says before you talk...Some lingo's might find it difficult...I'm Black Country..so I have to curb the way I talk...when I do..it's first time every time...I do like the way you can read the total address now and it gives you the choice to choose which one....Some reviewer said it did not have altitude readings....YES it does...just press and hold certain info strips to bring up alternative choices...everythings there that should be....and if you touch and hold the Sat Nav signal icon...the actual amount of Satellites it's detected are shown and what direction they are to you..
The Smartphone app works quite well to and when connected opens up several more apps in the menu such as,...weather...tracking...traffic ,etc...OH...The extra's come as premium payment for those that want everything....such as the traffic,weather and parking instantly...but to be honest the basic is well enough informed......As to the wire for power...yes it it is a bit on the thick side...but nothing that can't be hidden with thought...I have tucked the Traffic cable and power cable behind the panels in my Golf...nothing can be seen at all now...just use your intanuity and spend some time fitting it...it will be time well spent.
SO...if your looking for a first class Sat Nav that looks the business...does the business...look no further...you won't be dissapointed...Cheers

...P.S..Do not pay more then the RRP price £299..and wait for Amazon to get it into stock.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT KIT AT A GREAT PRICE, 17 May 2014
Ranked No 3 in this years Auto Express Sat Nav test, No's 1 & 2 are considerably more expensive and offer no better features or quality. This is a good sat nav. It looks good with a large, clear screen and it knows where it's going!!! Redirects quickly should you miss a turn or find your way blocked etc. The free accessory pack that came with it and the fact that it's £30 more everywhere else made my mind up to buy it.
Ignore the silly negative review from one individual who complained that it didn't speak in French or with a French accent when they were on the continent! Really??? Perhaps they wanted the cast of 'Allo Allo' to direct them. Good job they weren't in Romania or else Dracula would be expected to guide them!
Anyway, great bit of kit at a great price, what more could you ask?

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Navigation but hopeless Traffic !!!, 5 Feb. 2015
Having originally bought and returned a TomTom GO 6000 due to software problems ( see review under that device ). I decided to try this top of the range Garmin unit.

THE GOOD :

1. Excellent build quality and premium feel
2. Real glass screen with excellent colours, sharpness and resolution
9. Dual orientation screen
10 .Photo real Junction view
11. Garmin real directions using landmarks
12. Free lifetime map updates
13. Comprehensive points of interest on maps including businesses, stores, restaurants, hospitals, cinemas and other destinations
14. Excellent magnetic mount
15. Smartphone link compatible
16. Speed camera info
17. Connects to Garmin Express easily and firmware and map updates are easy to perform ( unlike my experience with the TomTom)

Overall the navigation experience is very good and the user interface is a lot better than the one used by TomTom.

As a sole navigation device it is highly recommended

THE NOT SO GOOD :

1. Only displays remaining time or distance and not both
2. Unable to update maps or firmware without inserting a micro SD card as internal memory is insufficient
3. Thick power cable
4. Extra windscreen antenna for traffic
5. Not as easy to swap between cars as a TomTom due to traffic antenna
6. Unlike TomTom can't check traffic on your route from device while at home or work before leaving as the traffic antenna is needed for that function. Traffic is only available with it plugged in the car and attached to antenna.

THE BAD :

1. The 3D Digital Traffic is a JOKE !!!!

It has no idea where the traffic jams are. It made me join a motorway and as I drove up the slip road the traffic was stationary for 6 miles yet the sat nav was showing the motorway to be clear. When I left the motorway at the next exit it just tried to redirect me back to the motorway at every turn.
Again another time it made me drive right into a traffic jam on the motorway as it was showing it to be clear all the way home. Once I was in the jam it finally managed to show the traffic jam and redirected me to take an alternative route but I would have thought that it should have known that there was a jam ahead and it should have redirected me earlier.
Other times it would tell me that there were delays ahead ranging from 5 mins to 15 mins when in fact there were no delays at all.

The traffic signal connected well and was steady and I didn't lose the signal at all but the traffic information was always wrong and I really needed the unit for the traffic warnings.
It had to go as the traffic information is pathetic

CONCLUSION :

If you just need a premium built and excellent navigation device and not bothered about the traffic then buy this

If however you need accurate traffic information buy an Always Connected TomTom

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 30 April 2014
Derek Nykamp (Warwick, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After being a Garmin fan for more than 8 years this must be the biggest flop yet.
The power cable is so thick and cumbersome with the free traffic aerial that is makes is hardly portable between vehicles if using it as such. To get traffic without the aerial costs £15.08 per year so the FREE is a farce.
The traffic signal in the UK is unreliable and not consistent with the road conditions and reality.
The speed camera alerts are most annoying as they alert if if you are driving within the speed limit - another £15.08 per year - not worth a dime.
Since ordering my original 3598 it has had to be replaced twice - one for total failure and 2nd time because Garmin replaced it with a second hand 3597.
Garmin's UK service is disgraceful.
To get through to their help-desk you should expect an average wait or around 40 minutes and then the advice given is just about read off a script and they are very keen to replace the unit without even trying to remedy it.
I have now purchased a Tom Tom 1005 with real live traffic, free lifetime maps and IQ routes and I am delighted with it.
Garmin - you have a long way to go to get to the level of my brand new Tom Tom
I have wasted much time and money which I will never be able to recover - I am a professional driver and rely heavily on decent satnav technology.
Hope this helps