5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom killer
I have owned TomTom devices for the last 6 years and have got through 3 of them now. Appalled by the consistently poor(non-existent) service offered by TomTom and the fact that my last two devices have basically died and won't even turn on without being plugged in to a power source I decided to try something else. Believe me, this was not a decision I took lightly as I...
Published 9 months ago by smilersteve

3.0 out of 5 stars Some problems explained here.
Have just completed a 1500 mile journey across Europe having just acquired it .The problems I encountered were.
1) In planning the trip I tried to download Garmin Basecamp to my computer but this failed repeatedly.
2) Voice-over commands were frequently incomprehensible. In France she neither spoke with a French accent nor an anglicised phonetic rendering she...
Published 7 months ago by Mr. N. Bonsor

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 30 April 2014
Derek Nykamp (Warwick, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After being a Garmin fan for more than 8 years this must be the biggest flop yet.
The power cable is so thick and cumbersome with the free traffic aerial that is makes is hardly portable between vehicles if using it as such. To get traffic without the aerial costs 15.08 per year so the FREE is a farce.
The traffic signal in the UK is unreliable and not consistent with the road conditions and reality.
The speed camera alerts are most annoying as they alert if if you are driving within the speed limit - another 15.08 per year - not worth a dime.
Since ordering my original 3598 it has had to be replaced twice - one for total failure and 2nd time because Garmin replaced it with a second hand 3597.
Garmin's UK service is disgraceful.
To get through to their help-desk you should expect an average wait or around 40 minutes and then the advice given is just about read off a script and they are very keen to replace the unit without even trying to remedy it.
I have now purchased a Tom Tom 1005 with real live traffic, free lifetime maps and IQ routes and I am delighted with it.
Garmin - you have a long way to go to get to the level of my brand new Tom Tom
I have wasted much time and money which I will never be able to recover - I am a professional driver and rely heavily on decent satnav technology.
Hope this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars love it! absolutely knocks the socks off tom tom, 22 Nov 2013
This is a review from a faithful tom tom owner, who has been blown away by garmin 3598! Tom tom, you have seen the last of me as I am now a BIG Garmin fan!

I have had this Garmin nuvi 3598 for a few days now and been testing it. some slight issues initially because it wasn't reading out the street names but when I downloaded the latest updates it gave me the extra voice which reads those names. screen is clear, love the magnetic mount and super sleek design. It really puts the very basic TomTom 6000 in the shade.
full of useful functions including the voice command. It works better than expected.

Just the odd blip here and there with regards to routes - on fastest route it doesn't always take the best roads in my opinion. Its obviously based its assumptions on speed limits on routes rather than local knowledge. For example, it wanted me to go a longer way around to get to my house when I would normally know of a short cut (down a B road). It took me down the "A" road route as its a 50MPH zone but would not have been faster due to traffic.

Despite that minor point, I am very pleased I have switched to garmin (even though they are a tad expensive), because I think the added free digital traffic, map updates and speed cameras is a very good offer. I got a free accessory kit too with mine so that helped with the expense. The new tom tom is bulky and very basic and really cannot be fairly compared to this more superior Garmin 3598. Its top of the range as I write this review and I believe it to be the best on the market after researching tom toms, and others. Which magazine gave its predecessor a high recommendation, so I am sure this model will follow suit.

Even the digital traffic works without that silly little aerial which you are expected to fix to the windscreen! Magic! yes the signal increases ever so slightly if I do attach it, but for me, everything is working just perfect without having that wire stuck in front of me as I zoom along! LOL

Garmin, I take my hat off to you! It's a super unit..looks so cool in my car and basically I have ditched the Audi built in satnav (3 yr old) as my new garmin is far superior and easier/quicker to operate. I have had no update issues, everything works just fine so I would have no hesitation in recommending this garmin 3598 to anyone who wants to invest in an exceptional quality piece of kit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very unhappy, 3 Jun 2014
D. G. Lloyd "Cymro i'r Carn" (Pontypridd) - See all my reviews
Initially updated all the maps and software as instructed. Within the first three miles of the first test trip I was told to turn back. The return journey was similar and it had to be turned off. There was also a lack of clear instructions at roundabouts. Uncertain as to whether these foibles were down to my lack of understanding of the device, I sought out the instruction book, however, there was none!! All to common these days!! I then sought out customer support - it looked easy on the screen. There was a choice of a telephone call or web support. The first telephone call suggested that the online system of support would be quicker. I typed a list of the faults I had encountered and sent them to Garmin UK. only to be told that replies would take up to 3 full working days!! I got back on the phone, surely this shouldn't take 3 days. 1st attempt 25mins - No reply. 2nd attempt 25 mins and an answer but no solution!
Three days later still no e-mail from customer support, so I telephoned again. It took two calls of 30 min each duration, before I spoke to an advisor who thought the device might have a fault, especially as further anomalies had come to light e.g. local schools omitted, local car parks omitted, and, most confusing of all, under local utilities I came across a list of companies all based in Ireland, some 140 miles away!!!!
My previous experience of Sat Navs was with a TomTom which worked straight from the box. This time I decided to go for Garmin because of free map updates and the fact that many reviews were very critical of customer support from TomTom. For any prospective purchasers of new SatNavs I would strongly advise them to ignore customer support - or lack of it - because both TomTom and Garmin appear to be equally appallingly bad.
My plea to both these companies, and other multinationals, is please bring back instruction manuals.
Despite these problems, I remain optimistic and due to Amazon's efficient replacement policy, I will be receiving a replacement tomorrow. Am I too gullible? Time will tell and I will report later.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not get along with this device., 20 Aug 2014
I tried to like this satnav. My last 2 devices were by Tom Tom and after some reliability issues with my last Tom Tom I wanted to try something from a different manufacturer. Presentation is fine, and the mount/stand in particular is very well-designed and works brilliantly - supremely easy to attach and remove from the windscreen. The map is clear and uncluttered.

My main gripe with this device is the routing. It's rubbish. It chooses the worst routes imaginable. On long distance journeys it will frequently route you through the middle of a small town even though the motorway does not have any major traffic delays. Even simple routes between Essex and Heathrow ended up taking me through a labyrinth of tiny roads that seemed to make no logical sense.

The problem is compounded by the fact that I could not find a way to view/edit the route it had chosen. I'm sure the feature is there, I just couldn't find it.

By comparison, Tom Tom routing is perfect. The live traffic is also not updated as often as Tom Tom's HD traffic and traffic delay estimates are therefore not very accurate.

I was so dissatisfied with this device but I bought a new Tom Tom just 3 months later and so far I'm very happy with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seemed a good product only at first, 17 Dec 2013
This review refers to the Garmin Nuvi 2598LMT-D EU 5" Sat Nav with UK + Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Digital Traffic Alerts.

I read the 1 and 2 star reviews and concluded there wasn't much wrong with this device compared with the TomTom equivalent. The fragmented menu structure is not as good as the TomTom One which this replaced but the features are excellent. Full Europe lifetime maps & traffic at this price has to be a bargain. After some exploring and using the help function, I found every function that I needed eventually, but it should have been easier. I too puzzled over the apparently missing accessory to get traffic when I first got it out of its box. You get this message when it is not plugged into the car. The traffic function uses the power lead as an aerial and if you use it stand alone indoors, you will get the missing accessory message. I know the traffic function works because it warned me of a jam on its first outing. They could usefully change "Save" to "Save as favourite".

After four weeks using it, I have removed two stars from my initial good impressions. Even though I have selected fastest routes in the settings, it has an unaccountable wish to divert me from a route that I know well to take me down narrow country lanes. If you ignore its suggestion, the arrival time suddenly improves by a couple of minutes as if choosing the most obvious route hadn't occurred to it. It's arrival times are highly inaccurate, eg 15 minutes too long for a simple 40-minute journey. There seems to be some serious deficiencies in its map data and its algorithms. Pity because it seems to be good at most things, except its main purpose: navigating.

After eight weeks, I have removed another star after I thought I would install some map updates. Even just to update existing maps, they isn't enough memory so you have to insert your own micro-SD card. I then discovered the update process had deleted English entirely and had spontaneously selected Danish. If there is more than one street with the same post code, you can't choose the road from a list for that code and so you can't choose the house. This product is well below the standard that you would expect.

After four months, it is still below an acceptable standard, even after checking all the settings and downloading the latest software. Its latest trick is to try to lure me on the M25. It claims there is a jam on the A3 when it is clear. The jams are on the slip road to the M25. If I ignore it, it reduces the arrival time by 10 minutes. I suspect that most people write their reviews after using the product once, as I initially did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd have stuck with a TomTom, 1 July 2014
I had previously used a TomTom Sat Nav but decided to go for the Garmin based on various reviews. Wish I'd have ignored them as the functionality of the Garmin is nowwhere near as good as the TomTom. The basic navigation may be fine once it is actually working on a route but setting up for destinations, finding various points of interest and general configuration is convoluted and lacks any sensible processes.
The online software for additional features and maintenance is poor and again does not come anywhere near TomTom for overall functions, features and ease of use. The first time I tried carrying out an update it trashed the voice command system and I had to get their support to send a fix. The Garmin Express and Basecamp applications have also caused problems with my computer (running Win8.1) and I've twice had to uninstall them and re-install.

Overall the only reason it gets two stars is that when actually in use in the car and having all been set up it does then function as a reasonable sat nav for the route chosen, providing i do not wish to make any modifications to my chosen destination. Very disappointed with my purchase :-(

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down by poor reliability and faults, 10 Jun 2014
Screen freezes, voice breaks up when giving instructions, voice instruction and map gets out of sync, message keeps randomly appearing that the wrong cable is attached for live traffic when for certain it is not, the suction clips which hold the cable to the screen keep coming off the cable, screen greys over, suction mount keeps coming off windscreen which I have even cleaned with meth spirits. My 6 year old Tom Tom has less faults and is now in use again whilst I wait a response to return for replacement-which I do hope is better! Give this nuvi a miss!

4.0 out of 5 stars I have seen there products get worse and worse in regards to quality and options, 14 Aug 2014
After having tomtoms since sat navs began, I have seen there products get worse and worse in regards to quality and options. I tried a garmin model 2 years ago but didn't like it due to the heavy and thick power cable which housed the antenna. I have just tried a Tomtom 5000 and sent it back due to it being very slow to respond, and so few user options (for example it offers an alternative route but you cannot look at the alternative route. If you choose it, it then takes ages to calculate and you lose your directions while it calculates it. Fine on a motorway but in town you have to pull over while it calculates it). So I have purchased this Garmin due to tomtom losing the plot. I have used it now for around 500 miles, and it is very good. It is quick to calculate, no pauses when going through menus, plenty of information and I was surprised to find that out of the box with no smartphone connection, the dab radio traffic is very good and detailed. I have given 4 stars because it is early days, but so fara very pleased. It is also around 50 cheaper than a Tomtom 5000.

2.0 out of 5 stars If mine had worked according to spec then it would have been great, 10 Jan 2014
R. Graham "RickG" (Derbys UK) - See all my reviews
I returned mine after a day because I seemed to have all the niggles reported by other reviewers and a few more.

1. Whilst loading the maps for the first time, it told me that I hadn't enough memory on the device and suggested I buy more.
2. Screen language is English, but it only speaks to me in Danish. English is not one of the listed languages.
3. Voice control tells me that "British English" is not supported, and gives me no other options.
4. Traffic tells me that the receiver accessory is not connected. It is. (It's not telling me that traffic data isn't being received, but that the receiver cable is not connected).
5. Some local roads are not on the map. Although these are not public roads (to the local sports centre that's been there some time), the road is on my old TomTom. Similarly I'd have expected it to know the leisure centre was there at all, but it lists the old one.
6. There's no manual included or online.

I'm a very technical guy and I know most of these could probably resolved if I searched and called product support, but I haven't the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product, 3 July 2014
Never had a sat nav before so did a lot of research re. Which reports and existing owners on Amazon website. Mapping, clarity of screen and verbal instructions are excellent. This model has the right amount of features for me. I did consider the more expensive Garmin models but the extra features are things I do not need so this model is perfect for me. The first devise I received stopped functioning after 5 weeks. No Problem ! I phoned Amazon at 6 p.m. on a Sunday evening and the replacement was delivered 11 a.m. Tuesday. Superb service ! The friction stand for the sat nav. is indispensible as it holds the devise firm and I can twist or turn it exactly the way I want it. I am absolutely delighted with my purchases and the service I have received.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›