on 4 February 2016
This remote works brilliantly; I haven't got a Kinect sensor, but it works fine without it. I have a third party ir extender in the back of the Xbox, which turns the TV on when using the remote, as well as turning the volume up and changing channels in OneGuide.
It's ergonomically shaped, and is comfortable to hold; the soft touch coating makes it easy to grip, too. I have two gripes with it though; the backlight goes off too quickly; I think it should remain on for a good five or ten seconds. Similarly, the lights aren't very bright.It isn't an issue so much as an annoyance. My second issue is that mine has the very distinct and strong smell of cigarettes about it. Whether or not this has something to do with the previous owner smoking (I got mine through a third party seller on Amazon) or a manufacturing error, I don't know.Is anyone else having this smell at all?
on 29 April 2014
Why the hell Microsoft waited for months after the Xbox one launch to release this I'll never know ....and...seeing as the main feature of the XB1 is to be the centre of your entertainment system.....then why doesn't it come with it? How many DVD/CD/MP3 players have you bought that doesn't come with a remote that you have to purchase separately?....yeah that's what I thought.....anyway, rant over and onto the review.

It's small, fits perfectly in the hand as the undersides are rounded, the finish is a smooth silky rubberised finish and seems to have some sort of motion sensor in it that makes the buttons light up when you slightly move it.

Does what you'd expect it to do, although doesn't operate the YouTube app.

You need it, so just get it as ....for the money.....won't find better from another manufacturer! :)
on 19 June 2015
If you use your XBox One as a media centre, as I do, then you need one of these.

It makes controlling the XBox far easier for watching movies or firing up Netflix or Amazon Prime (of course, you're watching Amazon Prime, right?).

Feels like a really high quality item, with a smooth rubberised matt feel to both the front and back. It lights up upon sensing movement using an accelerometer, and is subtle for when it is dark during movies.

One thing I would say is that navigating certain applications can be awkward if the application reies on certain buttons. It might be I haven't twigged the correct buttons to press, but the icons on the remote are a little cryptic so bear this in mind.

Absolute bargain considering what it does and how it improves your experience of the XBox as a media device.
on 26 February 2015
Nice little remote. Feels good in the hand. The remote senses movement and the white LEDs behind the symbols illuminate when you pick it up. Needs a line of sight to the Xbox One itself, however, as it is IR-based and the sensor is on the Xbox One and not Kinect.
on 25 September 2015
I had the old style media remote for my xbox 360 and was looking around for one for my Xbox one. I am starting to use my Xbox one as my main multi media hub with the tv and wanted a nice simple remote to use for netflix etc.
I know you can use the controller or if you have one the kinect, but this is a nice and at the price I paid £12 an inexpensive way to use the media functions. It also helped the wife to be less intimidated when she wanted to use the Xbox to watch netflix.
The controller is nice and clear, I especially like the back light function when you pick up the control. The remote is quite deep with a triangle back cover. Although the remote is quite small the front has a rubberized texture which along with the shape of the back means it feels nice secure and well made.
on 23 April 2016
This remote control has made a huge difference when using my xbox to watch Blu-Rays, Netflix, movies etc.
It is so much easier to just pick up the remote and do what I want instead of having to turn the controller on, as it invariably has turned itself off to save power by the time you want to use it.
The unit has a real silky smooth feel, you may well find yourself stroking it as you hold it, or maybe that is just me!
A stroke of genius is the light up buttons, they are movement sensitive to the moment you pick it up the buttons light up, fantastic if you prefer to watch your movies, TV etc in the dark as I do.
Have recommended this to friends who have also bought it and sing it's praises.
You will not regret purchasing one of these.

==================================================================
I like to try and review all of the products I buy on Amazon in order to help other people out.
If you found my review helpful please vote yes below or if not please comment and let me know why so I can see what was not helpful and use the feedback to improve future reviews.
Many thanks for your time.
on 7 August 2015
This is a fantastic remote control from Microsoft for your Xbox One and is what I was so badly missing when using my Xbox One to watch Blu-Ray discs as I found Kinect awkward if I wanted to go back a few frames, but this great little gadget gives you total control and for all intents and purposes turns your Xbox One in to a fully fledged standalone Blu-Ray player. It is even motion activated and lights up so if you're in the dark you can see what you're doing with ease.

It's got a really nice finish to it as well, and is very compact and sits in the palm of your hand and is very comfortable to use.

As always Microsoft always supply the batteries so you're up and ready to go as soon as you open the box.
on 27 March 2014
The remote does the job, my only complaint about the functionality is that it uses the console and not the Kinect Sensor.

The product itself is a very nice build, and the back light functionality (buttons light up when you pick up the remote) is very useful when in a dark room; and it looks cool!

Recommended for anybody who uses their Xbox as a Bluray/DVD player and/or uses the streaming functionality.
on 8 October 2014
I really like the remote. A great quality item, worked right away and feels nice in your hand. It works well, but I do find compared to the 360 media remote (later glossy black version), the up down left right seem a bit spaced out. Its a bit far to move my thumb to change from one direction to another. The curved back is rather unusual, as it tend to rock around on the table compared to the other remotes, and I often find the automatic backlighting coming on if it gets knocked slightly. You can place it face down, as the soft touch material probably wont scratch too easily, and it has a nice xbox logo on the back. but I like it to be face up like all my other remotes.
on 24 October 2015
Good addition to the xbox that really extends it's use as a media device. We enjoy using our Xbox ONE for netflix but using the standard controller can be fiddly. This remote is excellent, good quality, well built has a nice feeling grippy "felt" texture to it. I like the way it wakes up as soon as you pick it up meaning unlike a normal xbox controller you don't have to turn it on each time you need to use it.

It has nice light up keys as well which makes it much nicer than a standard remote control as we like to have the room dark while watching films etc for a more "cinema" experience. Much easier to see what's what with this controller.