4.0 out of 5 stars Solid upper entry level DSLR
The D5300 is an update to the previous D5200 model, it 's not a revolution over the previous model but it is quite well featured in most respects, though for heavy flash users you might want to step up to the D7000/7100 which offer more functionality

It's a nice compact body, and a good introduction to photography.
A quick summary of the good and weaker...
Published 10 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but GPS and wifi could be better designed.
I bought this camera in time for a holiday to New Zealand, however did not have time to test it properly before travelling. I particularly wanted the GPS feature so that I could geocode photographs and the wifi feature for posting photos on social media.

Published 11 months ago by Peter W

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid upper entry level DSLR, 11 Jun. 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon D5300 Digital SLR with 18-55mm VR II Compact Lens Kit - Black (24.2 MP) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)

It's a nice compact body, and a good introduction to photography.
A quick summary of the good and weaker areas

Pros:
+ Very good image quality from the 24mp CMOS sensor, no optical low pass filter makes for sharper images with a bit more resolution
+ Impressive 39 point AF system with 9 cross type sensors
+ Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
+ 3.2" LCD screen with a meaty 1.04M dots very sharp and clear as well as articulated
+ 5fps is quite fast (buffer is about 8-9 shots Raw, about the same jpeg no so big but ok)
+ Good full HD movie mode with audio control and mic input, sharp and clear video (some moire at times though)
+ Has MLU (mirror lock up) useful for macro and longer focal lengths
+ Good Auto ISO settings you can set a min shutter speed, or let it work on focal length (ie increase speed to match focal length used or reduce it for wider angle lenses) You can even tune it to faster or slower speeds. Very nice
+ Built in AF assist light is useful though can be a bit harsh for people subjects

Cons:
- No depth of field preview
- Won't autofocus screw drive lenses (non AF-S)
- Limited flash capabilities, no Auto FP (High speed sync), no native support of wireless flash (CLS) with built in flash
- Live view and movie AF could be quicker, cannot see real preview of aperture set until the shot is fired
- No vertical grip option (shame really third party ones might turn up though with some compromises)

D5300 v D3300 (main differences)

D5300 has an articulated LCD (which is also higher res)
39 point AF system with 9 cross type sensors v the 11 AF points on the D3300 (one cross type sensor)
D5300 has wifi and GPS built in, the D3300 has neither

Image quality wise the cameras are near enough identical (both have no optical low pass filter)

Some field notes:

Battery life is about 550-600 shots, though using the movie and live view will drain it more. Worth picking up a spare

Image quality is very good but you really need something a bit better to take advantage of the full 24mp resolution, the kit lens is ok but not really up to the job by some margin. Jpegs are decent but RAW is the way to go for max details and for processing the best images at high ISO
Viewfinder is slightly higher magnification than the previous model (just a little but it's a good move) the view is a little bigger

GPS worked quite well but it can drain the battery a bit (though the battery life is quite good) it's ok accuracy wise but not as good as a car or hand held GPS (no GPS I've used in camera is dead on all the time) Still quite useful to have it
Wifi allows you to connect the camera to a smart phone or tablet, and you can control it remotely with an "app". It does have some basic functions available though it's not extensive, this might improve over time.

Handling is ok fairly comfy to hold though like the D3300 it lacks the dedicated buttons for WB and ISO, you can assign this to the FN button which improved things a bit. You can also access some quick settings on the rear LCD with the info button such as Raw/Jpeg settings, ISO, metering mode, and a fair few others. This does avoid a trip to the main menus which can slow you down operation wise.

AF system is the respected 39 point AF, using the D pad you can move between AF points making it quite easy and intuitive to use. I would prefer a larger viewfinder though, it's ok for a Pentamirror usable.

The optical low pass filter is gone just like other Nikon's this does give a tad more resolution (it's not a huge difference though) Image quality is very good, if you have the lenses that can take advantage of that the basic kit isn't really ideal here, but Nikon's affordable 35mm f1.8 G is a good one and can deliver nice sharp images, it's also very affordable and a must have lens for new users. (giving you a view of just over 50mm it's both fast and well worth picking one up)
Jpegs are quite good though you want to shoot raw for the best output possible, low light again it might be worth processing your own files for important shots. 24mp is a bit OTT for many users, you can of course though shoot jpegs and get good results from the camera, and you can reduce resolution to save some card/file space.

Some points to note, for users wanting to pick up older lenses (ie non AF-S or D type ones) the camera doesn't have a built in focus motor, this isn't a huge problem the majority of Nikon lenses have a built in motor in the lens, just something to watch out for. You can mount and use non AF-S/screw-drive lenses but you will have to manually focus (live view can help here)

Flash wise much like the D3300, you have to move up to the D7100 (or D7000) to enjoy Auto FP (high speed sync) this is useful for fill flash outside where you will exceed the camera's sync speed of 1/200 second. You can work around this with ND filters to cut the light down. CLS or wireless flash can't be controlled with the built in flash, but you can get radio triggers which can overcome this.

Nikon have designed it so that more advanced users who need these features move up to higher priced bodies (just decide if these areas are important to you when making your buying choice)
As a starter camera or something a bit more meaty to get your teeth into, this is a good camera in most respects. Image quality is very good, it's quite an easy camera to use and learn on. The articulated LCD is the main appeal if you are shooting videos or experimenting with photography with interesting angles (very low or high) it's a real plus to be able to move the LCD around as you wish.

Not a bad back up camera either just make sure it meets your needs.
Nikon didn't blow the barn doors off with this update, so if you have a D5200 and are happy with that, then stick with it. For new users this is a good camera which is a fun creative tool to use. Do look around though there are alternatives from other makers, each with their pros and cons.

Well worth looking at

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but GPS and wifi could be better designed., 14 May 2014
Peter W (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews

The 18-140mm kit lens is pretty good, though suffers from a significant degree of barrel distortion (not unexpected). I am used to a 18-105mm lens on a D90 and often have to change that to my zoom lens when taking photos. The 140mm lens was however never removed from my camera on the trip - it had sufficient range to prevent me needing to change to my zoom lens, which was very welcome. The omission of a lens hood (costing a few pence) is however rather an insult having spent so much money.

The wifi feature seems to work better with Android phones/tablets since setup and security of wifi is much better than with Apple's iOS. It works with iOS, but is over an open connection and a bit slower to set-up. Taking pictures on the camera remotely using the iPhone app was a bit slow and seemed to drain both devices' batteries very quickly. Downloading pictures was however easy and relatively quick. The rotating LCD screen is very handy and seemed robust - it could however benefit from touchscreen controls since, unlike my D90, some settings for manual use have to be applied via the screen menu and this can be slow and frustrating at times.

Given that the main reason I bought the camera was for the GPS feature, it is a shame that this hardly ever worked. The camera got a fix on a satellite for about 1% of my photos in 3 weeks of use. I tried updating the GPS firmware but that had no effect, the camera stubbornly refused to record location on any of my photos. Nikon made a half-hearted attempt at troubleshooting after I emailed them but then declared that the camera was likely faulty and I should talk to the retailer; rather unhelpful when I was on holiday on the other side of the world.

To Amazon's credit, they have taken the camera back and refunded me the cost as I luckily returned home just before the return period expired. I felt uncomfortable doing so, having used the camera on a holiday, however the camera was faulty and, in my view, execution of the camera's two key selling points is underwhelming for the price. I will wait until Nikon or Canon have ironed out some of the problems before looking again at a similar upgrade. In the meantime, I now have a spare battery I don't need!

In future, I will download the manual before committing to a purchase - you get a better idea then of how well the features you want will work for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful camera, beautiful pictures, 14 Feb. 2014
This is my first DSLR, my entry level, and I am not disappointed. Being a Nikon on its own is a major plus. High quality build and results, lots of lenses to choose from, great features, etc.

The Wi-Fi feature might not be what you find on your usual smartphone or table but it does what says on the tin - connects to smartphone or table, although via wi-fi only (setting connection needed) and enables you to browse camera gallery, download photos and even use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder! That is simply awesome! You can't adjust camera settings with the tablet but it is still very cool and useful for long distance photos, just like a live view remote. I use iPad and iPhone and it works wonderfully. I don't really use the GPS, so I cannot comment on it.

I purchased the standard kit, 18mm-55mm, and I have been playing with it on all sorts of conditions, but still getting used to the DSLR manual settings to get the best of this great camera. I have been visiting the Nikon site for more info and tips, and many forums and blogs - there is so much stuff out there you can learn from. Taking tips meant for a D5200 or even D3200 is good enough. The user interface on these is the same and so are most features.

I wish I could tell you more about this little monster but I am just a beginner as I said before. I have recently purchased the 35mm DX lenses for portraits and the extra background blur, and I'm loving it. Next I'll go for the zoom lenses to have a nice full kit around. I just need the time and the money to fund this little investment.

I wanted to purchase the red D5300 but the price put me off. In the end, I am actually happier with the classic black, as it looks so much smarter and it does not stand out. I don't really want to be waving this bad boy around when outside in the street, so I will also be using a regular messenger bad, with padding, to carry the necessary kit.

I have bought the extra EN-EL14a battery to carry around. I know from experience that this is probably your most valuable accessory to carry all the time - an extra fully charged battery. I strongly advise this to be your first purchase.

If you are purchasing one of these, I hope you will be as happy as I am. If you are not sure, do it like I did. Visit the shops, have a go in there, and study the various review websites and forums for real user experience sharing and reviews.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous camera, 30 July 2014
I admit I am not an expert, but of the several cameras I have used so far, this outshines the rest by some distance. For me, its simply the apparent quality of the photo that matters. I believe the quality here to be significantly better that say the D3200 - although that was also excellent (when used properly) and would be sufficient for most peoples needs. I attached my existing lens to this D5300 (Nikons: 18-70; 18-200; 35mm 1.8; 12-24 etc) and I was immediately (pleasantly) struck by the improvement in picture quality. I can only conclude that this is down to the sensor (along with the dropping of the optical low pass filter) in this camera - definitely a step up in sharpness and colour reproduction; especially a noticeable improvement with my Nikon 12-24 lens. If you can stretch to the D5300, I think it is worth it. I think it only can be the quality of your lens and your ability that will set the limits to your image clarity then. Absolutely 5 star. I don't really use the wi-fi or GPS so I can't comment on that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for who?, 26 Nov. 2014
Before you buy this camera.. I had the Nikon D5200, much like this, and I have some advice.

I based my 1st DSLR camera purchase on a mix of price versus features, features meaning image quality. I actually read in a magazine that the D5200 was the BEST VALUE BEGINNERS DLSR, and I bought it on new ebay.

If you really are an enthusiast I would encourage you not to get this camera. I had mine for 6 months and got rid of it out of frustration. If you are looking for a 1st camera, like I was, I would do at the start what I later had to do and go for the Nikon D7100.

The reasons why: there are far fewer external controls on this camera. You will always be going through menus etc. and will either miss the shot or just not bother using the feature that will that this much time to change, the change back. All useful features are buried deep. You have to pay for the privilege to get external access to these features. But it is so worth it.

Metering, ISO, Autofocus, are all features that cannot be accessed externally on the D5300 camera body. The image quality will be roughly the same as the D7100, but you will miss the shot, even if it's of your dog. If the D5300 had these 3 buttons it would be great. But it doesn't. People who buy DSLR's, especially their 1st DSLR expect to be able to control these things but with all Nikon cameras below the D7100 you get suckered into buying it with different add-on's that like wifi, gps and even image quality - all usefull.. BUT.. if you want control of your camera; what most new DSLR buyers expect they are buying; you have to go for the D7100. It can even use every lens since like 1970.

I don't think that reviews and comparisons between these 2 cameras highlight enough the face that the D5300 has so few vital external controls. But like I said, you get what you pay for.

Get it 2nd hand for about the same price. That's my advice. D7100 - the best beginners camera and will last for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for a beginner! Must Buy!, 13 Jan. 2014
The Nikon D5300 continues to spoil us with its 24.2 Megapixel sensor however the series now gets a major refresh with GPS and Wireless included inside it!

Also we see the continuing trend to now remove the Optical Low Pass Filter in manufacturers to give sharper pictures.

The camera offers 39 focus with a 9 point cross focus for all you Sports photography fanatics.
It offers 5 fps continuous shooting, which works very well but with the new XSPEED 4 processor theres no need why it couldn't be pushed higher.
I suspect because it might be treading on D7100 territory.

Whilst this is a solid step up from the likes of the ever popular D3200 as it does offer you more features.
It handles low light very well and produces relatively noise free images.

When light did get low I rarely had to go anything higher than ISO 5000 which is a testament to how well this camera does. Although it can offer right up to 128000 which puts it near the top end levels.

Its exceptional low light performance is great news for film fanatics too, and video is clear and solid. It can offer up to 1080p at 60 frames a second, however 60 frames is only offered in NTSC format in PAL its 50fps. Thats not such a big deal as in HD video theres pretty much cross compatibility everywhere.

In AUTO it takes great pictures, turn the dial to No Flash AUTO though as you will rarely need to use the Flash such is the versatility of this camera.
Flash can also be quite intrusive so you'll quickly learn not to use it.

One drawback is, you have to take the picture first before you can see what it looks like unlike in Canon models that show you the effect of changing your settings immediately. Although this isn't really a game changer and most camera's require you to take a couple of shots if you are working in MANUAL to get the right exposure based on your scene and lighting conditions.

Another major gripe is the lack of a touchscreen, the circular navigation with the OK button is just that, OK and you have the tendency to press diagonally when you want to go left or down instead of left/down...or maybe its just my fat fingers! But PLEASE in future camera manufacturers include the touchscreen its part of our smartphone culture and it should be a minimum requirement in all SLR camera's not a premium one.

The 18-55mm Starter Kit is a good lens, but having worked with Prime lenses and being blown away by their sharpness I would recommend if you are buying this with a kit to go for a higher range. I believe the 18 - 140 mm is a great travel lens. This might stretch your budget too much, so if you are a beginner then use the 18-55mm as it is a great way to learn your trade just beware that when you go prime you may find it hard to go back. The images do look sharp, but on a prime the true capability of this sensor come out and they look RAZOR sharp. But that's nothing a bit of post processing won't help.

The bottom line is if you are looking to get a new camera and have a tight budget get a D3200 but if you can afford to get something a bit more only think about getting the Nikon D5300 it is SURPRISING just how many high-end features that this camera is packed with! Its a bargain in the DSLR market and will be future proof for the next couple of years. If you have a bit more cash then look at the D7100 and above. If you already have a crop sensor move into FULL FRAME!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D5300 with 18-55mm VRII collapsible lens..., 3 May 2014
The camera has the latest expeed image processor, excellent rear screen and is very light, I bought the model with the new collapsible 18-55 vrII lens which is fantastic. The kit doesn't include a lens hood so I bought one direct from Nikon, the correct hood for the new lens is a HB-69, and I found it to be the cheapest at Nikon. The camera is brilliant and I have no complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this camera., 16 Jun. 2014
I purchased this camera after a fair bit of research for mainly astrophotography, although wanted an all round camera also. Canon was certainly the more popular use for my main purpose, and from a software point of view is ahead for any tethered requirements, which is the only reason I deducted a star (digiCamControl is however fantastic and just getting better). The images I have got are fantastic from astrophotography, landscape and architecture. I have used auto and manual modes, both giving great results (I certainly have plenty more learning however with all the modes).
My only other little issue is the screen can catch if trying to move while having the side open for ports, which could have been easily solved by swapping the card reader side with the port connector side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera which has many good features and takes a ..., 21 July 2014
Fantastic camera which has many good features and takes a lovely photograph. It is lightweight and easy to carry when out and about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very capable camera, 9 July 2014
Mark Whateley (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this as a video backup to a D800 - the difference in size and cost is vast but this is a very capable little camera. It does lack some of the features of the more expensive cameras and the handling can be a bit awkward by comparison but it performs well for stills and video.