Like most challenging music this is an acquired taste, especially hard to digest is David Tibet's voice. It reminds me of a period of time as a kid I spent a year warbling in the local church, operating as a starched white choirboy. It was around the very early 1970's. Within the cold mouldy church, filled with empty pews and old people was the vicar. Every Sunday morning and evening he would deliver his prepared sermon, to which I must admit - at this point I had cut the switches to comprehension. Delivered in his sing song delivery of tottering up and down cadences, the main emotion he produced in me was mirth. But sometimes the sermon had a grating as well as comic effect and the clock then ticked on the hourly ordeal. Unfortunately he also believed in his own sense of personal superiority over mere mortals and rarely spoke to us choir folk - which, looking back was perhaps a good thing.

I mention this because it took me a big effort to get beyond these "memories" - which were neither pleasant or unpleasant in the "I was there as a choirboy in the 1970's" type recollection, because when these vocals emerged from the speakers a rolling sense of ennui dawned. I was transported back in time to the 1970's and worse still, there is some form of religious catechism within the lyrics....no no no no.

Alternatively David Tibet's vocal delivery reminds me of Catweazle another 1970's memory prod. It is when we are led to the apocalypse the full wheeze emerges and the hives rise up. However to balance against this, the music takes it to another sphere, so we or I have a polarity.

Luckily, within the melee are other voices, such as Nick Cave and Anthony from the Johnsons who emerge to provide a counter balance to David's sense of hysteria. On this album he draws together a large grouping composed of "The Groundhogs" a 1970's rock act, Nick Cave and Anthony and the Johnsons along with other to create a fine blend. It takes repeated listens for it all to sink in.

"The Invisible Church" took around 4 spins before anything happened and then I began to get a shape- the kind of melancholia which saw Nick Cave compose "Sat Sadly by your Side" is the mood. But I just do not get the religious offerings. They are as meaningless as reciting the Highway Code backwards to me.
on 6 February 2015
Item arrived in time, and was as described.