4.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm's strongest offering to date, a serious contender
I'm not invested in the Fujifilm X system, but I have been using quite a few bodies in the last few months and some of their lenses.
The X-T1 is the newest I've used and it's by some margin the most anticipated body yet from the company. I had to beg to borrow this for a few days testing.

The retro looking old school SLR type body, houses an ILC mirrorless...
Published 11 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I got a dud?
I was very excited to buy the X-T1 having read a ton of glowing online reviews and articles and selling all my Canon 5dii gear (googling "field test" or "field report" always gives me the best impression I feel rather than lots of studio colour chart shots and techie speak). Having had it for 2 weeks, I have returned it for a refund. Why?

- The picture quality...
Published 1 month ago by George Nada

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm's strongest offering to date, a serious contender, 14 April 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fujifilm X-T1 16 MP Compact System Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only) (Electronics)

The retro looking old school SLR type body, houses an ILC mirrorless design with a high quality EVF
On balance this is a very strong offering from Fujifilm, though there are a few niggles and areas that could be improved.

My quick fire summary is as follows:

Pros:
+ Very nice build quality, Magnesium alloy shell feels solid and sturdy
+ Excellent EVF, the best I've used to date 2.36 million dot OLED and a very large 0.77x magnification, think good FF DSLR size
+ 16MP X-Trans CMOS II sensor delivers very nice tonality, good dynamic range (in the highlight areas and pulling shadows) impressive low light performance
+ Exp compensation dial is stiff and not easy to move (was a problem on previous models)
+ Has built in wi-fi and supports Fuji's remote camera "app" which is quite good allowing remote control of the camera and most important settings (iOS and Android supported)
+ Weatherproof body, dust and water resistant
+ Autofocus is fast, good accuracy, and can track moving subjects well, speedy burst rate at 8fps with a large 20+ shot raw buffer
+ Reliable, consistent metering and mostly on target auto white balance (a tad cool with some daylight shots though)
+ Very clear and impressive 3.0-inch, 1.04 million tilting LCD screen
+ Good customisation, the 4 way pad can be set to a variety of functions (eg AF, WB, AF mode etc etc) as well as 2 other buttons (total of 6)
+ Excellent jpeg output, I set -2 NR (noise reduction) there is some film like grain at high ISO levels, but very well controlled and natural looking. Good details
+ EVF can display dual images (for manual focus/peaking) or split image (like a rangefinder) and rotates information for vertical shots (novel but it's really quite useful)
+ PC sync socket for studio lights
+ Supports the latest UHS-II SD cards (ie the very fast ones)
+ Good handling overall, I love the ISO dial, the drive mode selection under it, and the metering mode under the shutter speed dial
+ Light and compact body, discreet low noise shutter

Cons:
- Video mode is basic, no manual controls and output is not overly impressive (lacks clarity and detail) lots of moiré in footage
- I'm not entirely sold on the need for some controls, the shutter speed dial does seem somewhat less useful for SLR users (who are used to PASM modes) I do like the ISO and drive mode dials though
- No built in flash, some might argue it's pointless but it can be useful at times and for triggering off camera flashes, you do get a bundled EF-X8 small flash (Gn11), but it's another item to carry around with you
- Fuji's flash system is limited (at the present time), it does not support HSS (useful for daylight fill in flash) and it does not have wireless control. I expect this to be addressed in time, but it's one of the weakest elements of the X system to date and falls far short of the main 4 DSLR makers. You can work around the flash sync in daylight at faster apertures with ND filters, and radio triggers take care of the wireless aspect. Still it needs looking at
- Flash exposure compensation is buried in the menus
- Raw limited to ISO 6400 (jpeg only above that). Raw files have very low Chroma (colour noise)
- Battery life isn't great, around 300-320 shots that's quite a bit below expectations (there is a grip option to extend battery life, I've not used that)
- Some buttons a bit small (AEL, AF-L) would prefer larger more rounded buttons - not so easy to use with your eye to the viewfinder. Buttons and main 4 way controller are quite flush with the body and don't stick out much
- Jpegs too much contrast at default though can be adjusted. Noise reduction can over smooth areas in jpeg
The strap is similar to previous X models some call it "Pleather" a pretend plastic leather effect. I have one on my XS-1 too it's ok but some might not like it at all (bit stiff)

For raw processing ACR 8.4 (and LR 5.4) are much improved over older versions. Fuji's sensor is quite unique and different to normal bayer sensors, this has taken time to get up to par for raw workflow.

There is a lot to like about the X-T1, it's a very solid fun camera to use. The retro styling might appeal to people, I like it but it's not a major feature...though the extensive controls are welcome and make settings easy to make and very visual too (ie you can see if you're in cont drive or what metering mode, ISO, shutter speed just looking at the dials) Quite the reverse of Canon's mostly button only settings (I can live with it but Fuji are stronger here)

AF speeds are impressive with the XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 (I have only tested it with this and the 35mm f1.4) it's certainly up there with DSLR's that I've used (I will have to test further though for tracking performance) In low light though it seemed slower and not quite as good but the accuracy was there.

More than anything the Fuji is a fun camera to use, one you want to shoot with and enjoy the experience (mostly) it's certainly the best X series model I have used to date. For Fuji users invested in the mount it's a must have. I am on the fence for the moment as I have 2 DSLR mounts supported. I have a few concerns, not optics wise the Fuji lenses I have used have all been very strong performers. But I will wait to see how the system grows, and it's quite important Fuji address the weak flash system (in terms of current functionality and the flashguns on offer)

I'm also a bit disappointed Fuji decided to use electronic focus by wire on their lenses, it's not the worst I have used but it's simply far inferior to a good mechanical focus lens, and not in keeping with the "retro thinking" and design of their other bodies.

As for the X-T1 on it's own it's a strong offering that will appeal to still shooters (video users should look elsewhere) dare I say the purist shooter who is looking to get back to basics (manual setting of exposure, and the controls) The price isn't bad really, something of a bargain if you compare it to the OM-D EM-1 (which is a good few hundred more) It's a lovely camera, and recommended, likely to be a camera many users will get quite attached too (which is good, if you enjoy shooting that's a good thing)

Then you have the "fuji colours" aspect too, some people dismiss the differences in cameras as minor, but it's hard not to like the charms of the Fuji cameras I have shot with (across many types of camera) I personally feel it's not a myth, though very much down to taste. Fuji does know how to make appealing, yet not overcooked images that I just like.

Not perfect, I'd love to give it 4.5 stars, few cameras are but Fuji continue to mostly impress with their forward thinking and ideas.

Update Dec 2014:

Fuji have released an extensive firmware update for this model (Version 3.0) some of the features added are:
High-speed electronic shutter
Classic Chrome Film Simulation
Natural Live View function
EVF / LCD Colour Control
AF/MF function can now manual focus after AF confirmed with shutter half press
Direct selection of AF area via 4 way pad
Q. Menu customization
New Video Frame rates
Manual shooting control for video (ISO and aperture/shutter)
PC tethered shooting support

There are other changes that's some of the main ones

5.0 out of 5 stars Mirrorless at its best, 26 Sept. 2014
Absolutely brilliant in terms of the pictures quality. The retro dials proved to be the best way to go. I do have other cameras: canon 5D mk3, Canon 6D and Nikon d610. I could never quite decide which I like better. Taking photos in jpeg seems that Nikon was too yellow and Canon too red.(I would shoot raw only when working). That bothered me always. My good friend, who is not a professional photographer bought the X-T1. I have been so impressed with it that I got one myself and really like that camera a lot. The only issue I had with it is the battery do far. Charged it, put it away for a 5 days, then to my suprice the battery was flat. Charged it again, put it on my desk and went on 5 days business trip. On my return the battery was flat again! Oddly this this did not happen again...so far. Let's hope it will not because this camera is just superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars super sweet!, 4 Mar. 2014
i love it.

body appears smaller if anything than x100. image quality is certainly up there with both my 5d3 and 6d shooting the same glass last night (sigma 35/1.4art; canon 24/1.4II; canon 70-200/2.8isII). gorgeous gorgeous images and finder gets 4/5 to the live-ness of optical whilst giving you constant exposure-simulation and image confirmation afterwards. focus assist options lots of but finder sharp enough easily to focus primes and -unlike my 5d3 -will show be DoF in the viewfinder for lens faster than f/2.8 - fancy AF has a price i guess. you do need a dof button just like a dslr if you stop down, but maximises live view to finder or screen in use and is no worse than my 5d3 in live view which is screen only.

AF i have tested on the 16-55XC lens and appears very snappy. continuous high frame i have tested loads though only in MF and feels very fast and certainly aster than my 5d3 - perhaps my 7d i sold a while ago. certainly very fast compared to x100 but stalls swiftly with 95 mpbs sandisk extreme as not fast enough. so how realistically such a camera could be used for sports etc may depend on the UHSII sandisk card only sold in the US as far as i can tell.

This camera is seriously gorgeous and very fast and easy to work with. worked fine with 600ex canon strobes and comes with a clever little external flash which i have not tested yet i'm afraid; though i can say does not need batteries; does not articulate, nor chuck out a great deal of light but certainly comparable to similar build slr strobes.

the build here is quite exquisite and I recommend the fuji xt-1 wholeheartedly after one shoot! looking forward to trying some fuji glass now, maybe a 56/1.2....

UPDATE AFTER ONE MONTH

Okay, still very much in love with my X-T1!

I have largely used the stunning Fuji's 56/1.2 with this camera, along with a samyang 8/2.8 fisheye and canon EF glass.

Battery life is not great but not too bad. def no comparison with a canon DSLR though.

The flash provided will provide little light for the eyes/shadows but the X-T1 shoots very well in the studio with the new YONGNUO YN-E3-RT and Canon 600EX strobes: works with up to 5 groups of strobes configured manually up to 1/180 (no high speed sync). Considering that the Canon transmitter will not work with my 5d1 I am extraordinarily happy to find the much cheaper YONGNUO product making any camera practical including the canon models strategically excluded. It means that with the minimum of fuss one can switch from fuji to canon and back again - very tempted to get a second transmitter to allow separate flash settings for each. I am now in the fortunate position to be able setup three DSLRs on tripods and fire all three & all the strobes & the X-T1 from the X-T1 giving me four pictures of a moment ( the fuji can also be fired remotely but requires an adapter cable rather than just hot shoe).

Images from the studio with the 56/1.2: absolutely stunning and not substantively distinguishable side by side with 5d3 70-200/2.8isII images at 19" x 13". Lots and lots of detail. (I would love to see the results from a 135 or medium format xtrans sensor with glass as sharp as this!! - maybe a sweet fixed lens with leaf shutter design and not much bigger than x100 - come on Fuji! ;-))

Regarding use with strobes - it is infuriating having to mess about in the second tier of the menu to turn exposure simulation on/off for ambient/flash exposure. Very much hope that fuji will add this to the schedule of items that can be assigned to the various function buttons.

The drive selection dial is too easily nocked from setting to another, especially if the ISO is changed. I love the locking mode dial on 5d3 and actually spent over £100 to have a 7d modified once so that it would lock and could not accidentally get nudged too bulb at the wrong moment. It would be great if this dial were a lot stiffer or locked along with ISO, even if through single release. A similar issue with the exposure modes but proving less of a prob in use.

My model had the light leak that was commented upon, and despite this being a complete non issue to me, requested a replacement from amazon under their 30 days so as to risk having to send back to fuji for repair. great service from amazon and next day had a model with no light leak, however, there can be issues with some of the latest cameras' sensors insomuch as dust can be trapped during manufacture and be unable to be cleaned off due it in fact being under the focusing component. anyway after two wet sensor cleans, at f/16 a clearly demonstrable large dust spot was evident on the replacement i'd been sent - a very significant issue for me so i have kept this one and amazon are sending me a third copy which i trust will be clean. I would encourage anyone who bas purchases a X-T1 or EX2 camera to shoot the sky stopped down on a couple of lenses and pixel peep the results to ensure your copies are clean whilst under warranty.

Anyway, in summary and despite niggles: AWESOME CAMERA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable size and build quality, with superb IQ, 24 April 2014
Having recently retired, and being determined to pursue my lifelong passion for photography, but not able to face the hassle of lugging my large Canon DSLR kit around as I tick off places on my bucket list, decided to 'trade down' to the XT-1. It is early days but my initial impressions are entirely favourable. I bought the body and 18-55 kit lens from Amazon after spending hours trawling the web for reviews and opinions, and feel that I have made the right choice. First impression on taking the body out of the box is how incredibly small it is compared to my DSLR (a Canon 6D), and this impression reinforced when handling the lens - compared to my 'L' lenses it is featherweight!
There is quite a steep learning curve, switching from Canon, a brand that I have been loyal to since 1978, but the simplicity of the access via dials rather than through menus is refreshing.
The WiFi function works on my Android phone and Apple iPad quite well (but could be improved), but installing the 'PCSave' software that allows the transfer of full-size images to a PC was a nightmare, but I eventually succeeded at the third attempt - although I have a 50+Mb fibre-optic Broadband connection, the download and installation process took nearly 50 minutes, and is like going back to the dark days of software installation of 20 years ago.
I have taken a couple of hundred shots, trying as many settings as possible, and results are better than I expected, but on the 18-55 lens there is definitely a drop-off in sharpness at full aperture - in fact the sweet spot is not reached until 5.6 - many other reviewers have made similar comments, but I should state clearly that it is far better than the average Canon or Nikon kit lens on a cropped sensor DSLR. My primary lens on my 6D has been the 24-105 L, and it is unfair to make a direct comparison with that, but if I buy a couple of Fuji primes (I am looking at the XF 14mm to start), a more direct comparison will be possible.
I have looked at my first 200 images on the PC, and they are far better than I was expecting - colours are vibrant, exposure seems spot on, and the high speed 8fps shooting mode is remarkably quiet.
What is hard to convey in a review is how pleasant it is to handle the XT-1 - it fits neatly and unobtrusively in the hand, and exudes a feel of quality in its construction.
I am at this stage delighted with the purchase, and as my DSLR equipment gets sold, will be able to buy more XF lenses to replace it, and am confident that in time using the camera will become more intuitive. Highly recommended as a DSLR replacement, will update this review in a few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Travel Camera, 17 May 2014
This is a superb camera for any photographer who travels a lot and requires full control over the business of producing am image. It is aimed at those photographers who prefer to have full control over exposure. The kit-lens , 18-55, is an excellent lens with good autofocus, stabilisation resolution and colour rendition although I would prefer the range 24-100 in 35mm full frame terms. Body construction is excellent with weather sealing provided. A future selection of lenses is promised also with weather seals.

The system range of accessories and lenses date is already adequate for a very wide range of photography. Well done Fujifilm. In my opinion it is the best CSC around today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be the best current mirror less camera, 25 May 2014
The kit lens on this camera is well above most kit lenses on the market. The camera performs as well as all the reviews say. Cannot find any weaknesses except that the buttons are rather small which makes it difficult if you have large hands

5.0 out of 5 stars Just stunning, 27 Mar. 2014
Pat (Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
I am a Fuji fanboy. There that's it said up front, so please do not tell me I am. Guilty M'Lud, as charged.

Why? Because the colours are just sublime, Fuji listen and act fast to improve and update unlike some other manufacturers and because when I pick one up I smile at the tactile pleasure of using a beautiful camera made by enthusiasts overflowing with engineering and design DNA.

It was the X10 wot done it and started me on the Road to Bankruptcy, then the X100 LE which captivated me like no other, the XM-1 which Amazon were almost giving away at Xmas, swiftly followed by ridiculously (low) priced XS-1 to this, the queen of the lot. Not purchased from Amazon as they had no stock but from an excellent Fuji dealer in Chester.

She is beautiful, and armed with the 18-55mm, a truly wonderful camera to use. Coming from the X100 made adapting to the XT-1's manual controls easy but she is not a camera for the auto point and shoot user and is a very considered purchase. I read all the reviews, took most with a pinch of salt as they seemed too effusive and then targeted in on the reviewers I trusted and believed to be devoid of 'Merda taurorum animas conturbit' Syndrome.

They were all (mostly) right on the money and the XT-1 is a truly excellent photographic tool that takes you back to the days when film and developing was expensive so you made every shot count. She makes you think before you press the shutter, allows you to frame through an exquisite viewfinder and, if like me you enjoy manual focusing, provides split image and highlight focusing aids which really add to the joy of using what is a delightful, and rewarding camera.

I love her. I forgive the poor placement of the video button which I never use but often press, I like the recessed buttons which work only when I want to press them and I like the fabulous WiFi remote app which I use on an IPad and an IPhone. I truly appreciated (or at least my knees did), the swivel screen on the XM-1 and was so pleased to see it on the XT-1. It is razor sharp and beautifully engineered and it makes an enormous difference when shooting low or high above heads or obstructions.

I am thrilled with this camera. It feels fabulous to hold, the rubber body cover provides superb grip and it just feels right in your hands.
But it is not for everyone. If you truly appreciate a beautifully designed and manufactured camera which produces outstanding images but which does require a certain level of photographic knowledge then you will love the XT-1. If you want a camera that will take superb pictures by switching to Auto then may I suggest you look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for available light photography, 29 Jun. 2014
I also own a Nikon D610 so I can compare images taken with both cameras.
Let me stress also the fact that the quality of a full frame is still superior especially the dynamic range and giving the correct exporsure in difficult lighting conditions. I often need to correct exposure with the XT1. Luckely it is done fast with the weel on top.
The best allround lens for this camera is the 35mm f1.4 : it's compact, ultrasharp and allows you to shoot at low light.
It gives incredible results but the focussing is sometimes erratic at very low light. Fuji should work on that issue because this is a reason people will buy this camera.
The 56mm f1.2 is very good (I also own it) but very heavy,large and expensive, so the 35mm is a wiser choice because it also gives a very nice boheh open wide.
Overall a very good camera considering its limitations (dynamic range problematic in sunny conditions, and overexposing regularly)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Mirrorless Compact System Camera, 1 Mar. 2014
I received my Fuji X-T1 this afternoon with the 18-55mm F2.8-4 kit lens. I had pre-ordered it in early February after seeing all the fantastic previews and I am not disappointed at all. In fact I am already in love with it, it is a beautifully designed functional camera retaining the classic retro look while offering all the necessary manual controls and dials. I have taken a number of test shots already (mainly in low light with and without The Fuji add-on and my SB-910 flash ) and this review is only my initial impression. As I get to play with it more over the weekend, I will definitely expand this review.

I have been a DSLR user for quite some years now (D90 being my current with a collection of various Nikkor full frame zoom and prime lenses) and like many out there, I have been waiting for a Nikon upgrade offering a good compromise in the size with decent sensor size (APS-C or FX), without compromising the image quality. I was hesitant to move to more expensive heavy full-frame cameras and even more reluctant to switch to other camera systems, until I saw this model being announced by Fujifilm (I was considering X-E2 for some months). So here are my initial thoughts.

Some key points to highlight as X-T1 Pros:
- Image Quality: I am amazed at what it produces straight out of the camera (even without any flash in low light indoor conditions). The auto focus locks instantly, no hunting around. Use of flash improves the already good quality and focus speed. The image sharpness, focus speed and above all the colour rendition are miles ahead in comparison to the D90 (I know it is not apple-to-apple comparison with a 5 year old 12MP DSLR, but I guess I can be forgiven since I don't do reviews and comparisons for a living).
Electronic View Finder: The EVF is just brilliant and in many ways better than the OVF on my D90. It is bright, full of useful info (spirit level, split screen and peaking focus assist etc), very sensitive, extremely fast (no lagging whatsoever, even in low-light) and is far superior to all, yes all of the EVFs that I have seen so far (in fact the slow and unexciting EVFs on mirrorless cameras used to put me off).
- Focus & Speed: Auto focus is really quick, the previews were spot on and it produces really sharp images without any focus-hunt. In addition, the peaking feature works beautifully. It is a joy to use and will definitely inspire you to switch over to manual mode more often. I have to wait and figure out how it performs in action scenes (user manual has a page which almost reads as a disclaimer, saying the camera may not perform well for action shots, I believe as long as you don't expect it to work like a D4s or 1Dx, it should work like any other modern DSLR or compact/mirrorless camera. So more to come on that.
- Size, Build and Handling: Camera is very light with the kit lens attached, it feels like an ordinary bridge camera. The kit lens is smaller than a Nikon 18-55mm, but is mostly made of metal, so it gives a solid feel. The rings and zoom barrel movement are smooth, like a well-oiled machine. The camera body feels really nice and solid in my hand (full metal construction and weather-resistent as I read from the manual), The textured body and grip around the camera feels nice, not the sticky feel you get with some cameras. One of the reasons why I chose my first Nikon over Canon was the handling. X-T1 actually feels very different to both being smaller in size, so if you have big hands and thick fingers like I have, it will take a bit of time to get used to the controls and their positioning. I wish the front and rear control dials were a little bit more protruding, same goes with the menu button and the directional (arrow) controls at the rear. They feel flat and a bit too soft-pressing to my liking making it hard to feel especially when you use the EVF, again might be a matter of getting used to the positioning and sensitivity.
Cons (observed so far): The battery life is not that great compared to many other makes in the market (even less than my 5 year old D90). I with they had included a spare battery in the bundle to compensate. The continuous (C) autofocus mode on moving subject seems to hunt around a bit in the low light condition while I tested it, manual (M) and single (S) worked great.

Overall Impression: Fujifilm X-T1 strikes the right balance in my opinion, it is very light (not at all bulky like a DSLR), produces great image quality straight out of the camera from what I have seen, definitely puts the fun back into photography giving all the controls (aperture, shutter speed and exposure comp), movie mode, continuous burst (low and high), self-timer, bracketing, metering, panorama, focusing modes (manual, continuous and single), programmable function buttons and above all the fantastic Q menu for quick access. I have already installed the Fuji Remote Control (Wi-Fi) app on an iPhone and Nexus 4 phones in the household, works as expected, no hick-ups whatsoever. A Well-thought out Stylish Beautiful Functional Compact Interchangeable lens camera, to sum up the experience so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I got a dud?, 25 Feb. 2015

- The picture quality was appalling. I have an X100 and it always has nice sharp pictures. I have a range of Sigma DP Merrills and in the right light they produce wonderful, almost medium format quality images. The 5D also produced very sharp, punchy images but was too heavy and cumbersome. In 2 weeks I didn't get a single worthwhile photo from the Fuji. Even in decent light, using a variety of Raw and jpeg, with OIS off and on, I couldn't get a nice, sharp image. Even the centre of the images were soft. The corners were a disaster - diffraction all over the place, ghost images and blurred colours and images. Perhaps the kit zoom was faulty, but it just didn't have any "wow" factor that other non-AA cameras like the X100 and DP1/2/3M have.

- The ergonomics didn't suit me. Ergonomics / haptics is a subjective topic, but for me vital. If i don't like how it feels, I won't use it. I had stuck to Canon cameras as their fit and dial location is outstanding. I tried the Fuji out in some stores and my enthusiasm got the better of my concerns about the lack of proper grip and the positioning of the shutter release. The fact that Fuji has released a thin add on grip (MHG-XT1) and a large add on grip (MHG-XT-1 Large) and other base plates and grips says that the original design does not work. I have long fingers and tried the large grip and it was even worse as it made the shutter even harder to reach on the top plate. I also dislike not having somewhere for my pinky finger to rest on the front of the body. I had OOS using this camera for an hour or so as the shutter release is too far back from the grip - the same problem that afflicted the Sony A7.

- Auto focus is not fast enough for me. I wanted this to be a go-anywhere camera for shooting family, kids, friends, street etc. I hated how slow the AF was on the Canon 5D mk2 and was hoping for something snappy given the marketing spiel about the fastest AF. Sorry, but that is bunkum. The fastest AF was apparently measured using a prime with minimal focus throw so it should focus quickly. I never found the kit lens focused quickly. It was okay, but not immediate in good light. In low light, it was like the 5D - most subjects had moved before the lens was focused and the shot taken.

- The battery life was terrible. The Fuji battery lasted about 50-60 shots with quite a bit of screen time to check shots. The lens stabilisation is whirring even when it is switched off - the camera has an audible whirr all the time. it is also recommended to have the camera in High Performance mode to get the camera to work faster, all of which serve to drain the batter super fast. A non-Fuji spare lasted just 25 shots before going flat!

- Everyone raves about the EVF and it is fantastic in many ways, but when I pick up a DSLR with a bright viewfinder, there is still no comparison for me. Again, very subjective.

- The dials were easy to move by accident. I had read that the exposure compensation dial was easy to nudge by accident and dismissed it, but in practice it is true. I often noticed that the exposure compensation was off 0 having been nudged or rubbed by accident. It's pretty easy to spot in the viewfinder, but still an issue. More annoyingly, I found it very easy to move the shooting mode dial when changing ISOs as the shooting mode dial is below the ISO wheel and was easy to move together with the ISO wheel, so I sometimes found I was inadvertently in panorama mode by accident.

To be fair, I liked a lot about the camera. The size is incredible - I took it places I would never have taken my Canon which was just too big and heavy. It has a nice solid feel and is well built. I liked the retro look and the easy access dials. The EVF has some great aspects - I liked the focus assist zoom which allowed me to see precisely what I was focusing on (shame it didn't turn out that way in practice...), the horizontal level measure was useful and the lovely, soft, quiet shutter too. It is wonderfully discrete. The 18-55mm lens was also has the smoothest, best damped zoom I have ever used. It is buttery smooth and not stiff or jerky. Overall, I thought the camera was a lot of fun to use and experiment with such as the silent electronic shutter. However, I was not happy that I was missing shots and those I got, just didn't impress me at all.

I have now bought a Nikon D750. It doesn't have the small form factor I wanted, though it is surprisingly small and light for a FF DSLR. What sold it for me was the lightening fast AF - it is instantaneous even in low light - the image quality, particularly at high ISO and the ability to recover clean images from shadows, and the wonderful grip - as many commentators write, the D750 is the first time Nikon has ever made a comfortable camera and it's true. Is it perfect? No, I don't think any camera is, it is still a bit too big and heavy, the shutter is much too loud (the quiet mode is, if anything, louder!) and the dials are nothing like as nicely placed as the Canon particularly the Canon rear wheel. But it gives me what I need at this time whereas the X-T1 didn't.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fujifilm X-T1 16 MP Compact System Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days