5.0 out of 5 stars Modern and epic
With their 4th album, Delain manages to recreate the epicness of their first opus Lucidity while giving it a modern aspect, continuing the approach developped in the 3rd album We Are The Others.

Published 7 months ago by Isara

Published 7 months ago by rugosapowermetalband

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars You will love it or hate it (most likely depending on what your looking for!), 15 April 2014
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
They are many reviews on the internet one side very strong loving this album and one side hating this album. I believe if you loved we are the others then you will feel this album is awful/not a great listen. If you didn't like we are the others much, then it seems this album maybe a perfect match and not disappoint you. When I say this its not in any bitterness to any opinion, but this is what it seems to be. The two albums appear to counter balance in the overall power and feelings but when i say this it has nothing to do with the skill the musicians have.

Also it has nothing to do with Delain members and their composing abilities because they are reasonably good (although I would argue they aren't good in having songs that take on a different style, such as Delain don't right big long epic songs!!)

Having listened to the album for only a week I must say I wasn't blown away as I was expecting. As discussed from above I was a massive fan of We Are The Others and so due to this I felt a little disappointed. But there are some good tracks on it! I had listened to track 2 Your Body Is A Battleground for many weeks run up to the album release and though I hoped it was the weakest track on the album after spending time listening to it I have grown to like it. I saw them live two days after I received this album and they played Track 7 Army Of Dolls live and I remember when hearing it live feeling it was too long and boring, but its a very different Delain song and as silly as it sounds after a few listens catchy and a highlight to this album. The track Scarlet is also a highlight with a ballad on piano and vocals this also stands out as a strong one here. In regards to the extras the live tracks sound basically the same as the recorded versions, except for Sever! Its recorded by one of the members doing Marcos vocals in growls, some people will like it some will hate it and some like me find it awesome just to hear a different vocal take on a popular classic Delain song!

Other things in the album left me a bit disappointed was I found various tracks like My Masquerade, Sing To Me, Lullaby, The Tragedy Of The Commons songs with potential that just weren't reached! I also found in this recordings Marco not really doing much for this album. On previous Delain albums (Lucidity, April rain) It felt like his presence was good in the mix and that if no one sang his lines it would affect the song. But in regards to Sing for me and your body is a battleground it doesn't feel like you would miss him as much as you would in other songs! And it does feel like anyone could cover the duty and you wouldn't be bothered.

In regards to Track one and three, (Here Come The Vultures, Stardust) there great but not Delain classics in my opinion, and certainly some better songs that tower these two. Also theres two Orchestral Delain songs on the album. I love songs been made orchestral, but was not keen on the choices! I think something like nothing left or A Day For Ghosts or We Are The Others or something. But that's a personal opinion!

I hope you find this a fair review! And I love this band and it is hard to say weather I would recommend this album but because I know its more personal opinion on why I'm negative about this album I do recommend you give it sometime and listens! Buy it! there an awesome band even on 'a bad album!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern and epic, 11 April 2014
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)

The violins and classic keyboard are still here, as well as some choirs, but there are also a few electronic incursions, really heavy guitars (more than usual) on the 9 songs, even those that are mid-tempo (no ballad on the main CD), and just a very contemporary atmosphere coming out of the songs, as opposed to the classic atmosphere of Lucidity or even April Rain. Still, the epic is here, with some great orchestrations, and this is really symphonic metal, not watered down symphonic metal.
I think this modern side makes The Human Contradiction stand out among all the albums of this style.

It's great to have two new collaborations with Marco Hietala, who was missed on the 3rd album. Your Body is a Battleground and Sing to Me are the most epic songs on the opus with Here Comes the Vultures and Army of Dolls.
The single Stardust is simpler but quite efficient. Tell Me, Mechanist lets us hear again the powerful growls of George Oosthoek. My Masquerade and Lullaby are sweeter, but still really heavy, and have seriously catchy choruses (actually, I found the 9 songs very catchy right from the 1st listening). Last but not least, the beautiful duet with Alissa White Gluz (The Tragedy of the Commons), reminds me in a very good way of the song Shattered from Lucidity.

The 2CD version offers 2 new songs, a mostly piano-voice ballad (Scarlet) and a very energetic title (Don't Let Go), 5 live songs, and two orchestral versions (the duets with Marco).

In short: an highly catchy, heavy and modern symphonic metal album with great collaborations, both familiar and new. Really nice work from an underrated band.

5.0 out of 5 stars another winner, 14 April 2014
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
Delain is an incredibly good band fronted by a charismatic and uniquely gifted singer, Charlotte Wessels. You have to see them play live to see her in action, she is incredible and the band supports her in a set of beautiful memorable songs. This new album brings another list of winners to their repertoire. I suggest they remove the grunts and male singing, because Charlotte is a treat to listen to. THis sweet voice, amazing. Must buy, no reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars greatest album yet, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
fantastic songs very well recorded unlike a similar bands effort. of recent Best cd of the past few years Every song is catchy and sticks in your head.100% recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album yet!, 22 July 2014
Thomas Dugmore (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
Really liked 'Lucidity' and 'April Rain', but was very disappointed with 'We Are The Others', so wasn't really expecting much from this. All I can say is, being proven wrong has never felt so good! 'Here Come The Vultures' is a strong contender with 'Pristine' for the best track Delain have put to record. If you're only thinking of downloading a few tracks, 'Your Body is a Battleground', 'Sing to Me', 'Tell Me, Mechanist' and 'Army of Dolls' are also good ones to go for, but overall, there isn't a bad track on the album. 'Stardust' is probably the weakest, being quite obviously written as the radio friendly 'hit', so if that's put you off, I'd advise you to give some of the other tracks a chance.

N.B. If you're debating the extended version, 'Scarlet' is an absolute gem, and the live tracks are of good quality. If you're not a fan of live tracks though, it's probably not worth it - just download Scarlet as an MP3.

5.0 out of 5 stars <3, 22 April 2014
It took a few plays to hook me, I'd say it's as good if not better than April Rain. Stand out track's are Stardust, Here come the vultures, my masquerade, Army of Dolls. Not far behind are Mechanist lullaby and tragedy of the commons.

I sincerely hope they continue with this level of quality. A real gem after within temptation's not so good hydra, a worthy addition to my music collection.

Love it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Delain album so far!, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
As a recent convert to this genre of this music via Within Temptation and You Tube!. This band supported WT at a gig i attended and thus the research via the web. All i can say is to have found WT 3 years ago was good fortune to say the least but to find and see these live with WT. Good fortune x 2..Bought this album and three others by Delain in the last 7 days and cant stop playing them. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 11 April 2014
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
I LOVE THIS ALBUM AND HAVEN'T STOP PLAYING IT SINCE IT CAME, I LOVE THE SONGS STARDUST,MY MASQUERADE, AND SING TO ME.

5.0 out of 5 stars this band just keep improving release after release.. ..., 14 July 2014
James McGregor (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
this band just keep improving release after release.... rivals (and depending on which album, even betters), the might Within Temptation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Jun 2014
brilliant!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Human Contradiction
The Human Contradiction by Delain (Audio CD - 2014)