5.0 out of 5 stars Life changer!
This book has seriously changed my life, I bought it at the beginning of January as part of my 'get fit and lose weight' New Years resolution, as with every other year the exercise and motivation had fizzled out by February but this, was a different story.

Published 5 months ago by Ms.M

2.0 out of 5 stars I quit sugar... and replaced it with sugar.
I really wanted to like this book, it is really very pretty. The marketing behind it is great. That is about as far as my praise can go. The science of why is iffy at best. I don't think we should eat sugar, but I finished this book feeling unconvinced by the authors reasoning.

Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changer!, 6 April 2014

First off I will say you actually need to read the bit at the beginning of the book, I never usually bother but I think hearing some home truths about my excessive sugar consumption and how bad it really is for us is one of the things that helped me stay focused with this new lifestyle.
I was consuming probably double the amount of recommended sugar a day, and felt lethargic and tired all the time, I had a nap every afternoon and struggled to get up for work in the mornings. Since cutting a lot of sugar out my life, I feel like a new person, I have much more energy and actually feel like exercising. As a result, I have lost two stone since mid January and the pounds are still dropping off.
At first this book was about helping me lose weight but seeing the positive impact it has on my health, that's not my main goal anymore, and I see this as more of a lifestyle change than a diet.

The recipes themselves are delicious.
Although Sarah is Australian and at first I found myself thinking 'What the heck are half these ingredients?!' I soon noticed a pattern in the book, that she keeps the ingredients to a limited amount using the same ones in a lot of recipes so once you've bought them, you can use them for a multitude of things and they won't go to waste collecting dust at the back of your cupboard.
I found most of the ingredients, which there is a list of in the book, either here on Amazon or in my local supermarket/health shops. They weren't as foreign as I thought, and most are relatively cheap.
The important thing I learnt is if you don't have something, there is usually a just as healthy alternative you do have/or can easily get, which still works and is sugar free.
I love her meal ideals, especially breakfast, I used to skip breakfast because I was so late for work by the time I got up, now I find only getting up 15 mins earlier gives me time to make a tasty recipe such as her bacon and egg cupcakes which are amazing and so quick to make.
I've also enjoyed making some of her sweet treats. I think when you tell someone you have quit sugar they think it means you can't eat sweet stuff ever again. So not true!
I have an extremely sweet tooth and have recently made healthy sugar free versions of things like Reese's peanut buttercups and chocolate raspberry ripple and cheesecake. All which have been just as delicious as the real deal. Once you get your head around the fact they are not going to be artificially sweet like ones you can buy in a shop, they are much more enjoyable! If it works for me and satisfies my cravings it will work for anyone!

Last thing I have to say, is a bit of a confession. I will hold my hands up and say, since starting to use the book, I have still had my fair share of cakes, brownies etc that have definitely NOT been sugar free. Even though I see this as a lifestyle change I'm not going to deny myself of someone's birthday cake etc because it has sugar in it, that's ridiculous and not a way to live your life. I don't know if Sarah Wilson herself NEVER eats sugar, hats off to her if she manages not too, but I am human and you only live once, so if I want it I will have it, just in moderation obviously and the rest of the time, I am a sugar free girl! I find now, when I have sugar I don't want more and more like I used too, my body isn't programmed like that anymore and I usually feel full up or sick if I eat more than I should.

So to wrap it up, I would totally recommend this book to anyone looking for a lifestyle change, and to give their health a boost. I can promise you you won't feel restricted in anyway and can still have the kinds of foods you enjoy, just versions that make you feel good afterwards not guilty!
If you are still unsure about purchasing I would recommend trying the 'I quit sugar' website for recipe ideas before, just so you can see for yourself how good this lifestyle is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has seriously changed my life and diet, 15 Mar 2014
Was given this by my sister, who has been diagnosed with diabetes so is really watching her health now. Loved the casual, conversation style writing but originally felt it was very light in content - like others, I was expecting a full on weekly meal plan like other diet type books.
However as I liked the principles and have seen a lot of scientific research that backs up the sugar issues (so don't understand how others are saying this lacks scientific evidence!) I thought I would give it a go and give up sugar.
When I re-read the book and started taking notes on what to avoid, what to swap out and started writing down breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner ideas and assessing what I could drink, I suddenly found I had loads of written notes and actually this book holds everything you need to do a detox. It just doesn't force you down some prescribed meal plan - you have to think about what you eat already, consider what is high in sugar, look at labels and then use Sarah's advice to swap things around.
This detox completely changed my life - I lost 10kgs in around 6 weeks and am still consistently losing weight each week - without even thinking about it and still enjoying food. The tips around swapping out sweet treats for fats are excellent - as someone who was a total chocolate addict, I now snack on yoghurt, nuts and the occasional piece of 90% dark chocolate, and most of the time I don't even feel the need to snack. I sleep better, I have more energy and no longer feel fatigued all the time, and I am inspired to look at other blogs and books on healthy eating - including raw, vegan and vegetarian options.
I found that I did have to purchase a whole new selection of ingredients - most of which I can get from Holland & Barrett or (surprisingly) Ocado as part of my normal food shop, occasionally I do have to just order something online (rice malt syrup - but you can swap this out for maple syrup or honey (reduce the quantities) - but they are less healthy options). Yes, these ingredients are more expensive than white sugar, but I am now eating so much healthier, have started baking healthy chocolately treats with raw cacao (Sarah has a chocolate e-cookbook as well) and am saving money in no longer buying junk food all day long, so I feel it is worth it. The high price of organic, natural sweet options has made me realise these should be a once in a while treat and not an everyday item.
What I liked the most about giving up sugar was how easy it was - every other diet feels like you are depriving yourself - with this, I could still go to the pub and eat a burger, I just needed to put wholegrain mustard on it instead of tomato sauce, I could still have a drink, I just had soda water with lime or lemon, and if I really needed a sweet treat, I'd bake something with cacao and rice malt syrup. And it feels permanent - this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change, I will keep this approach to my eating forever.
Make sure you try the chocolate/coconut/nutty granola (can't remember if this was in this book or the chocolate cookbook) - but I eat it every day with natural yoghurt, I have a glass jar of it at work, it is amazing.

2.0 out of 5 stars I quit sugar... and replaced it with sugar., 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: I Quit Sugar (Kindle Edition)

The most difficult part for me is that the recipes rely heavily on rice syrup. Which to me is just a slightly less bad sugar. Plus its expensive and hard to find. It's also fairly inconsistent. Don't eat fruit, but have a fruit smoothie? In my mind its better to have an occasional piece of fruit than to make a highly processed dessert with added sugar (albeit sugar from rice).

I agree with the general concept, we eat way too much sugar and that is bad. But in my mind trading one type of sugar for another is not helping. Sugar is sugar is sugar. Rice malt syrup still has a sweet taste that causes you to release the hormones etc. so keeping it in your diet is only going to create the same cravings. Additionally it still creates an insulin response, feeds candida and many other negative sugar issues. I just don't feel like you can say you quit sugar if you are still consuming something that is so clearly just another sugar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell...., 9 Sep 2014
Miss Jennifer J. Holmes "Jennifer" (Blackpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Quit Sugar (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book just over a weak ago and have really enjoyed reading it! There's loads of advice in it and lots of recipes although I don't feel there are that many recipes for things i can cook for me & my other half for tea. I've just started on week 1 so will see what happens. It doesn't have clear cut rules but I do feel I've gained a overall knowledge from reading this.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good "guideline" book but frustrating recipe/ingredients issues., 27 April 2014
J. Hislop (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
This book is interesting, well laid-out and has some good rules of thumb to stick to if you want to make the lifestyle change to remove sugar from your diet, which I have now done and feel better for having done so. I did enjoy the book but I did feel incredibly frustrated about three aspects of it.

Firstly, there are a few ingredients that are repeatedly used (i.e. in most of the recipes), and these are probably available everywhere in health conscious Australia (where the author is from). This book is meant to be for the UK market, but while it may be easy if you live in London to rush down to the local shops and pick up some rice malt syrup or raw cacao powder, if you live in some town in the North of England or somewhere it's actually a pain in the a**e to get hold of unless you buy online and have it delivered to your home, which can be a hassle. Even if you can find some of these key ingredients, they can be *very* pricey (coconut oil for example), which is not ideal for a diet book such as this, especially given that obesity disproportionately affects those on low incomes.

Secondly, the author avoids gluten in her life as well and the recipes seem to reflect this. For most people who don't have a gluten free diet, doing something as big as quitting sugar is already quite a big task in itself, so it would have been nice to have a few more of the recipes not be quite so stringent about gluten as well. That said, having managed to make some of the recipes they have been lovely.

Thirdly, some of the guidelines in this book clash with other books on sugar detoxing. Rice malt syrup is allowed here whereas in The Sugar Detox book the authors count this as sugar. No mention is made of dextrose here, whereas in the Sweet Poison Quit Plan it is an ingredient in the bulk of the recipes. The net effect of this is to make you wonder how seriously you should take the advice that's being given. I preferred the recipes in The Sugar Detox because the ingredients are much more straightforward, but as I said before, the rules of thumb in this book and the style and layout are much nicer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awareness!, 11 Jun 2014
This book brought my awareness of what sugar does to my body to the fore. I am not completely sugar free yet but working hard at it with a few major changes already in place. Brilliantly written, well presented and easy to follow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very similar to the other book by Sarah Wilson - ..., 14 Aug 2014
Very similar to the other book by Sarah Wilson - read other comment.
Also some of the food items are only available on-line & are expensive and hard to buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Quit Sugar Kindle Version, 21 Jan 2014
Don't buy the kindle version of this book. I read an excerpt from a magazine about the book and was interested to read it. However the kindle version is virtually unreadable. The print is very small and it is not possible to enlarge it. Not worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 6 Aug 2014
I have not done the 8 week program itself. But have made dramatic changes in my diet. The book is very easy to read and follow. I really like the layout and the recipes are simple and quick. Some of the ingredients are hard to find such as chia seeds and can be pricey but overall most ingredients Sarah uses are accessible or you can opt out or us an alternative. The follow on book quitting sugar for life is worth having if you like this book. There is more advice and tips as well as new recipes for the family to try.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Quit Sugar, 12 May 2014
This book is very interesting. However, I don't know if I am sufficiently strong willed to follow the advice it contains.

I Quit Sugar