5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning End to a Stunning Series (No Spoilers)
Published 3 months ago by S. Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and predictable
City of Heavenly Fire - The Mortal Instruments Book 6.

This is the last book in The Mortal Instrument series and I am sad to say that I am a tad disappointed in the book and it’s not a favourite of mine!

Published 2 days ago by Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning End to a Stunning Series (No Spoilers), 13 Jun 2014
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments 6: City of Heavenly Fire (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished reading this final installment in The Mortal Instruments series which is a mammoth of a book (only slightly thinner than the width of the last two books (Fallen Angels & Lost Souls) put together) when compared to the others in the series and this is how a last book in a much loved series should be done so thank you Cassandra Clare. I have been absolutely gripped to the story from start to finish and although I am happy at the overall ending I am very sad for the series to end. I have already pre-ordered the first book in her new series (Dark Artifices 1 Lady Midniha) which has a short excerpt from it in the back of this book and also has some pre-series book building going on in this book and sounds like it will be another winning series and I am looking forward to it's release in 2015. If you haven't read The Mortal Instruments series yet then please do as you will not be disappointed.

The story follows on from the last book City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, Book 5) with Jace having the Heavenly Fire within him and running through his veins following Clary plunging Glorious into him to save him and break his ling with Jonathan/Sebastian. Jace is learning or trying to learn how to keep his emotions in check to keep control over the Heavenly Fire and Jordan is helping him learn how to meditate. They are all called back to the institute and ultimately to Alicante as Jonathan/Sebastian has been attacking and targeting institutes around the globe in order to turn Shadowhunters into Endarkened. No-one can work out how he is doing this and ultimately he is winning and so the borders of Alicante are closed and all Shadowhunters recalled to the safety of Alicante until a plan can be worked out on how best to defend and defeat him is worked out. But with no Shadowhunters to defend the world from demons they will not be able to stay on lock down for long and Jonathan/Sebastian seems to always be two steps ahead. Will Jonathan/Sebastian be defeated and can the Endarkened be saved? Can Clary and Jace finally get to be together or is the Heavenly Fire going to prevent them from ever being able to be with each other?....

I absolutely loved this story and all the twists and turns within it such as how Jonathan/Sebastian is actually managing to move around, the lake/pool parts and finding out who Magnus' father actually is. I was heartbroken at two characters fates and the whole second half of the book was basically non stop. I love the links that have already been thrown in for the new series however The Infernal Devices links were lost on me as I have yet to get around to reading that series but the series has now jumped up my reading list as I really must know about the links between Magnus, Brother Zachariah and Tessa now! As I have said above a fantastic ending to a fantastic series which perfectly tied all of the books of the series together - now that is how you write a series!

1) City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
2) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, Book 2)
3) City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, Book 3)
4) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, Book 4)
5) City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, Book 5)
6) City of Heavenly Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoileeeers. Dont read if you haven't read the book., 30 May 2014
Soo... I finished it last night. And I have to say, I was devastated- but in a good way. Devastated that its all going to end. Devastated at the thought of having to wait until late 2015 for the first Dark Artifices book.
I enjoyed reading this book so much, especially the bits with Emma Carstairs and our dear Infernal Devices stars, Brother Zachariah ( though I ignored him when he said he was not ready to use his real name and still called him Jem) and Tessa Gray. Cassie Clare knows exactly how to plot everything together, and she managed to to set out the stage for the Dark Artifices.
Now- MAJOR SPOILERS
Throughout the book I was counting the people who we know by name, die. We all knew there was going to be six people, so i was counting. Jordan. Scott . Maureen. Raphael. Jonathan. Amatis. And i was overly happy when no major characters died. I didn't even cry when Jordan died! But the weirdest thing is that I actually cried when Jonathan was dying. It was heart breaking. And i forgot that we already knew Scott so I didn't count him, and when they were trying to get out from Edom, I was petrified. I thought Magnus was going to die. But then Simon stepped in, like the knight in the shining armour stepped in to save the day. And I cried again. No more Simon? However, Izzy and Magnus are such badasses and helped him get some of the memories back :3, I love them so much. But I wasn't happy when Tessa nor Zachariah told Jace or Emma that they are related to each other. i just wanted to go up to them and slap their faces. Hard. I was waiting for the moment when they would tell them about Will Herondale and all, and they didn't, and i got pissed of. But whatever, i still love them. And when Izzy commented on Jem being hot and everything I was cracking up and when he stole Church I was crying with laughter.

I have to say, this is the best book in all of this series.
One of the Best Endings Ever.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and predictable, 13 Sep 2014
City of Heavenly Fire - The Mortal Instruments Book 6.

The book was well written in Cassandra Clare’s style and the mix of characters all gave their account of POV which made for great reading, though to be honest I just got bored with the story, to me it was the same old, they were fighting a war against the evil, people got hurt, died and new characters were introduced and romances blossomed.

The book also ended with unanswered questions, which will probably be answered in Clare’s new series The Dark Artifices and it just didn’t grip me. It took me over 53 days to read it, though I was determined to finish it! And I just feel disappointed that the ending will just roll into a new series – which is great for die-hard fans of the series, but sorry to say not for me anymore :(

The story continues with Jace and Clary, Alex, Isabelle and Simon are on the hunt for Sebastian. Jace still holds the Heavenly fire and can’t control it and Sebastian in attacking institutes and turning shadowhunters into the Endarkened to create an Army against the Shadowhunters and any Downworlders who stand with them.

Things do get a bit sexy in the book, which is a welcome relieve through all the doom and gloom of the war, though without giving away any spoilers, I am sure you can guess the ending as it feels like the same as all the other endings in the last few books in this searies :(

Reading order

Saving Raphael Santiago
The Fall of the Hotel Dumort
What to Buy a Shadowhunter who has Everything
The last Stand of the New York institute
The Course of True Love (and First Dates)
What Really Happened in Peru - coming in Paperback Nov 2014

The Dark Artifices
Lady Midnight - coming 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what an ending missing the world of the shadow hunters already, 22 July 2014
I loved loved loved this book and am so sad it's over well until next year which by the way is to long a wait. In city of heavenly fire all of our favourite characters are back jace, clary, izzy, alec, magnus, simon etc etc and are after a somewhat slow build up thrust into a massive adventure where the ultimate goal is to take out Sebastian. Even though most of the characters end up where you would expect them to be by the end of this amazing series there is plenty of sadness, sacrifice, loss and heartache that they endure before the characters are able to reach a happy ending. The only slight annoyance that I must pick up on is the connection between tessa zacharia and Emma carstairs at the very end. I am guessing that the spin off series to the mortal instruments due out next year is going to revolve around these three characters and the seelie court which is why the character of Emma carstairs was introduced in this book. There is hints of a burden the herondales have left or had to endure and a connection between Emma and zacharia that isn't explained at the end of the book just hinted at. Tessa is the main female character from the clockwork series which takes place before the mortal instruments. As I have yet to read these I felt as though I was missing something important when these hints were being put into place within the story of city of heavenly fire. Nevertheless the story was great the characters stayed true to who they were, the vast majority of plot lines were tied up and it was an awesome end to an awesome series. Cassandra Clare is easily on of my all time favourite authors thank you for amazing characters amazing story and I can't wait for the new series next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 20 July 2014
I waited for a long time to read this and it was worth the wait. I think that this was just the right ending for the series, the plot as well as the characters were complex and very interesting, and you can see a clear development of the characters (AHEM ALEC).
I loved the introduction of the Cairstairs and Blackthorns for the TDA, and the return of the TID characters, I throughout it was a clever way of connecting the three series right in front of the reader and also it opens up many opportunities for the next series.

I was very surprised when the character who fascinated me the most was Sebastian, as always Cassandra managed to turn the typical villain into something so complex that I actually couldn't wait until he appeared in a scene. Having said that though, I grieved for Jonathan even more.

My only problem was: SPOILERS AHEAD
Jordan's death, he was a character that I loved from the beginning and his death was too sudden, and didn't really sink in. I felt awful for him upon finding out Maia's secret and felt quite cheated, as he deserved a better way to go and I didn't quite get her explanation, so what he wanted to be forgiven? isn't that what everyone would want in his place?

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting and compelling conclusion, 9 Sep 2014
S. Smith "bookssavelives" (London, uk) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed reading The Mortal Instruments series though I must admit I prefer The Infernal Devices as I prefer the characters and the Victorian setting of that series. I did however enjoy this final book of TMI and I thought it was a fitting and compelling conclusion. The start was a little slow but the action picked up after the first half and there were lots of twist and turns. The book is very long and I admit to speed reading through the scenes with the werewolves and the Blackthorn children as I was anxious to return to the main characters but I loved the references to The Infernal Devices.
I also particularly loved the scenes between Isabelle and Simon and between Alec and Magnus; I did feel that the ending was a little too fairy-tale and there could have been more angst and perhaps the death of a more popular character but I can understand Cassie Clare not wanting to kill any of the main characters.
In conclusion I enjoyed this final book in the series but I am not sure if I will read the Dark Artifices, I also felt it was a little too long but it was nice to catch up with my favorite characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, Shame About The Ending, 31 May 2014
I devoured this book from the day it came out; I have enjoyed both 'The Infernal Devices' and 'The Mortal Instruments' series and was delighted when they intertwined. I enjoyed the plot twists throughout the novel and found myself often tense when wondering after the fate of characters, the majority of whom had at least one near death experience during the course of the novel. I think the novel was a deserving last book to the series.

It is at this point those of you who have yet to read the novel should cease skimming through this review. I had grown attached to the characters throughout the novel and was prepared for the death of at least one main character: I had seen it happen with Jessamine in 'The Infernal Devices' and in other series - 'Divergent' - when Veronica Ruth killed off her protagonist, Tris. Tense moments with characters, such as when Isabelle's leg was seriously injured, was enough to keep the reader on edge. The seen with the most tension in the novel came for me in the demon realm when Clary was prepared to sacrifice herself to save the world and when it seemed that Magnus was going to lose his life in order to send back the Shadowhunters and Simon to Alicante. Both situations were seemingly hopeless, but the solutions found to both problems were ingenious and fit the novel. When Magnus' father demanded Simon's memories, it was a gut-wrenching moment in the novel for the reader because I for one hadn't considered the possibility that Simon, portrayed as one of the most stoic characters in the series, could be harmed. Removing him from Clary's world seemed a fate worse than death from the perspective of the other characters. If the novel had ended in the aftermath of the Dark War, I would have found it an amazing ending to an amazing series.

However, I was let down by the actual end of the 'City of Heavenly Fire'. It wasn't a perfect 'happy ending': the tension between the Clave and the Fair Folk hinted at by Magnus Bane in the closing chapter of the novel sets conflicts up for 'The Dark Artifices', which I feel was honest to the story and a clever move by Clare. It was how Clare seemed to go back on her words and bring back Simon that confused me. A bitter sweet ending, without Simon, would have been a stronger ending than having all of the main characters coupled together by a lake at Jocelyn's wedding which had the tone of a fairytale ending. I was disappointed with Clare for seemingly weakening and allowing Simon the possibility to Ascend by the end of the novel; this I felt unbelievable after Simon turning from a vampire back into a human.

The epilogue seemed to drag on a little, tying up all loose ends. Clare could have left some questions unanswered, either to be hinted at in 'The Dark Artifices' or left for the reader to be interpreted, such as the sections with Simon remembering aspects of his life that had previously been stolen by a Prince of Hell and how quickly Isabelle and Simon seemed to become a couple again. There may have also been too much emphasis on Emma Carstairs and the Blackthorns, considering this was the last book concerning Jace, Clary and their friends.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed 'City of Heavenly Fire' with its plot twists that made the novel a real page turner that I couldn't put down. I had long awaited the appearance of Tessa Gray in the series and after being teased throughout the book, she finally appeared with Jem at the wedding: I almost wish her and Clary met up after the events of the Dark War to discuss their lives, as well as meeting with Jace to discuss his heritage. As for Emma Carstairs, I hope Jem will appear with Tessa in 'The Dark Artifices' to explain his past to her. This book has left me only wanting more of the Shadowhunter world and I'll be sure to move onto The Shadowhunter's Codex and The Bane Chronicles next. I am left in no doubt, through her extensive vocabulary and intricate plots, that Cassandra Clare is a talented author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and exciting read which deserved my 5 stars., 1 Aug 2014
denis (Sofia, Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
Cassandra Clare did what she can do best – pleased her fans by writing the amazing conclusion to ‘The Mortal Instruments’ Series. It was a fascinating read.

‘City of Heavenly Fire’ opens with a double murder and the introduction of the new characters – the twelve-year-old Emma and her relatives. These will be the main characters in Cassandra’s new series – The Dark Artifices. During the course of the book they are folded out and you get to know them. In my opinion the author spent too much time on these characters.

I can easily say that this is the best book of the six. It was written in Clare’s writing, which can be very descriptive. That is what I like about her work. I think she ended the series in the best way she could’ve. I am very happy with this book and I’ll probably pick up Lady Midnight when it’s released next year.

For the full review, go to my blog's post:

5.0 out of 5 stars Left me longing for more, 15 Sep 2014
After the first five books I fell in love with this series; the plot, the characters, this intriguing world of nephlim, wit and magic. But, the city of heavenly fire enhanced my interest and more; it reminded me of how beautiful words can be. I loved it. My only regret is that there are no words left to read ( in this series at least)

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a fantastic end to the series I have read all the ..., 12 Sep 2014
It was a fantastic end to the series I have read all the books now and can't wait for the next one. Characters are so strong the world created by Claire so complex and interesting I just got lost in the words have also watched the film City of Bones I liked the books so much better but the special effects on the film were great.