5.0 out of 5 stars angst and spankings, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: By His Command (Kindle Edition)
I loved His House of Submission, and while I'm a little disappointed this sequel wasn't titled 'His Shed of Shame' in the end, I'll forgive the author, because it's a rollicking little read. My only complaint is that it's short, and I would have happily kept on reading.

By His Command follows Jasper Jay and Sarah in the aftermath of their whirlwind meeting into 'are we in a real relationship' territory. It's a relatively realistic and sweet exploration of affection, desire and fragility and two people balancing sexual and emotional needs with real life things like jobs, reputations and family concerns. I guess the focus of the book is negotiating the real world while in their little bubble of kink - and being vulnerable to each other. It's fun, it's sweet, and the sex won't disappoint (anal! Lots of anal!).

I hope this spanky couple spans another day, they're endearingly adorable :)

5.0 out of 5 stars commanding and dominant, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: By His Command (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed for a bit of hot escapism from the daily drudge

Addictive read. Loved the characters. Feel the characters could be explored more in a full length novel as he is a Dominant movie maker she is a young historian could of easily made the story longer with lots of mischief and kink. X

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot romance, with an inventive style, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: By His Command (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in a day - fast for me. It hooked me from the start, though I wondered if there had been an earlier book I missed. Several references to things that happened previously, but this didn't spoil it for me. There's a scene where the two lead characters are watching a film of their earlier BDSM play together - very hot, and an unusual way for the heroine to describe her sensations, thoughts and feelings. Loved it.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone who likes their smut sizzling and fast-moving. I'll definitely be looking out for more by Justine Elyot

4.0 out of 5 stars Steamy Novella, 27 April 2014
This review is from: By His Command (Kindle Edition)
By His Command is the second book in a series, however, I did not feel that I missed too much not having read the first book. This is a BDSM erotic novella, but there are some romance aspects to it. It is well written, and while not every detail worked for me, the story did flow nicely and was well paced.

I very much liked the main characters, Jasper and Sarah, and found them believable and well developed. Some of the dialogue was stiff, and that could have been intentional. There seemed to be a bit of secrecy about Jasper, and perhaps the secrecy led to stiff dialogue.

There is some plot, but mostly there is a lot of sex and spanking. At times this seemed more demeaning than other stories in this genre. I did enjoy that the male lead was very much interested in a lasting, long term relationship. That was a refreshing change from the usual woman chasing man storyline.

There was not a big cliff hanger, but the ending is open-ended enough to allow for a sequel. The writing is captivating enough that I would read more if the series continued.

If you enjoy erotic romance/erotica this is a good beach/pool read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 July 2014