5.0 out of 5 stars Instead it is a wonderful book that is full of tidbits of wisdom on ..., 11 Sep 2014
This is not a step by step book on how to do martial arts. Instead it is a wonderful book that is full of tidbits of wisdom on all aspects of martial arts, everything from physical and mental training, excercising, to the strategy and philosphy of martial arts. The book starts with John's personal story and introduction to martial arts and then moves on to various aspects of martial arts; the basics, excercises, conditioning and even self defence principles for women. John then focuses the next several chapters on each of the martial arts that he has learnt and teaches; Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Karate, and Jeet Kune Do.

My children have been learning from John for several years and his passion for teaching martial arts is always evident.

Overall this is a great book that deserves a read if you enjoy martial arts.

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest martial arts book which stands head and shoulders over its more superficial rivals, 30 Aug 2014
This book has been a great accompaniment to my seven year old son's training in Kung Fu. John's background knowledge of the different martial arts is impressive and he writes in such a way that one is inspired to commit to mastering one's chosen martial art. A wonderful read in it's own right, if you want to understand the dedication and wisdom it takes to become a master in your chosen field (whether it be martial arts or not), you must read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this book not just for training but as a ..., 2 Sep 2014
The Essence of Martial Arts , at the age of 64 I found this book very refreshing in the fact that it was not full of pictures showing
various moves or styles but the most important aspect of all , the mindset you need to be a confident ,polite ,and restrained
martial artist . I would recommend this book not just for training but as a guide on how to act in every situation you find
yourself in .

5.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful, 3 Jun 2013
I found this book a real interesting read. I thought the author approached the content with great humility which I found very appealing. A broad overview of various styles including Kung Fu and Jeet Kun Do, including some technical aspects. I would imagine this book would satisfy experienced martial artists to some extent as well as a beginner.
Very well written book leading to an engaging and fulfilling read. Highly recommended :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essence of martial Arts, 24 Jan 2013
purchased as a present for my son in law. arrived in good time for Christmas and was very well received. ideal for anyone interested in getting more than exercise from martial arts

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good, from a man who knows his art, 21 July 2012
AJ Pengelly (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book. Its not esoteric, or aimed at the very advanced student, (although the advanced student may still pick up a few nuggets of wisdom), but its a no-nonsense, down-to-earth guide to martial arts, from a down-to-earth author. John is an excellent martial artist, and a very good teacher. I have learnt with several teachers over twenty years, including some very well known people, and John is as good as anyone. I have one-to-one lessons, and have learnt more in a few weeks, than in six months with other teachers. So I highly recommend him, and highly recommend his book, for a good, foundational guide to various martial arts, martial art training, tips on how to train effectively, and an insight into being successful in whichever art you choose. John always has some good stories, if you can distract him from teaching for a moment, and hopefully he'll write more books in the future, where he can share his experiences with a wider audience. He writes as well as he teaches, and I recommend his book.

By the way, he looks pretty serious and scary on the cover, but he's relaxed, friendly and a great guy in reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book on martial arts by an amazing teacher, that I loved from start to finish!, 29 Mar 2012
I would like to start my review by saying how much I love this book. It goes more deeper than that, because I know and am taught by the author. Not by one:one I'm afraid, but we'll see in the future.

My story goes that three years ago, after some rather horrific things happening in my life, I was brought to this group class by my sister (thans Amy) and I did not think I would like it at all. Also we had some other instructors, a man and a woman, and both were rather frightening and tried to make themselves heard...like they were trying too hard to impress.

When the group of us met John, he seemed very down to earth, humble and normal. It became very clear just how good a teacher and martial artist he is, because he was throwing people twice his size (the workmen at our centre) with ease...and they would land several feet away. He demonstrated that in his first class to us, and yet he is more than just about tricks. I can hand on my heart say how he has given all of us a lot of confidence that we didn't have.

He is so inspiring that we cannot wait for the next lesson, and on reading his book, I just wanted more, like in the lessons themselves!

I hope people appreciate the skill he has and the knowledge he shares with them. I'm nearly 17 now, but I think I will do some sort of self defence training for the rest of my life now...he's had such an amazing impact on me.

The book is very well written and I like the chapters and how they are set. There is something in here for everyone, unless you are one of the cage fighting nutters.

We learn mainly self defence, but I would like to learn something cool, real and hard like Jeet Kune Do or Kung Fu. Maybe I will one day.

All the styles John teaches are covered here, and I like the historical background to the arts too as I'm a bit of a history fan.

This has encouraged me to get into reading again, but I want to get other martial arts books too. This is the first sports related book I have ever read! My sister had a Kindle, so we went through it on that, but I wanted to keep reading it so to get me off her back she purchased me the hardback for Christmas. I've read it practically every day since, it's that good.

Okay okay okay...being instructed by the one who wrote the book is a big deal for me, and I know others in the group feel the same, but I've never felt like writing a review on anything before, and this book really spoke to me. I can't really put in words the impact it has had on me, but I can say I feel more confident now than at any point in my life, and
I am so grateful to John for this. I hope he writes more books, and we've teased him about it, but I know he will. He only says something if it has any merit, and that shows in his writing too.

REALLY IMPORTANT POINT: I love love love the Kindle version BUT you must have a paper version too. What I mean is, you miss things when scanning books on devices like Kindle, but more likely you'll see what you missed, in the real book. Buy the book and love it like me and my sister and our friends do. You will not be disappointed. Buy and be inspired, John the teacher and John the writer are both absolutely brilliant. I hope he teaches forever !