Published 28 days ago by Ms. T. Daniels

2.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing
An album full of songs you hardly can tell apart. And depressing songs at that. No, showing youy nipples on the cover is not enough.
Published 3 months ago by Johan L

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sky Ferreira has certainly evolved from her earlier pop and dance-rooted work, 2 Oct 2014
Ms. T. Daniels "drunkenwerewolf" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Hype can be a dangerous commodity, as several artists over the years have discovered. While it can give emerging musicians a leg-up in an ever-competitive industry, it can equally raise expectations to unrealistic levels, often making records an inevitable disappointment. Which brings us to Sky Ferreira. Initially surfacing in 2010, her debut album was originally scheduled for release in January 2011 before delays, botched recording sessions and record label wranglings meant she's only put out two EPs to date: 2011's As If! and 2012's Ghost. Although this series of events could have, and very often has happened to so many other artists, not many others can say they have also financed recording sessions through a modelling career and supported a controversial pop superstar on a North America tour, all without actually releasing an album in the UK. But finally, Night Time, My Time has arrived here on an almighty wave of hype.

It's not the album you might expect from someone who's just opened for Miley Cyrus on her Bangerz tour. A slightly bewildering fusion of modern pop, 90s grunge and 80s synths, it's a genuinely interesting record that evidently takes on board a wide range of influences. At times it feels as if the frustration over all of the delays and hold-ups are not bubbling under, but rather breaking through the surface - just like a wrecking ball, as a lesser reviewer might have quipped here. The furious and frenetic aesthetic of Night Time, My Time can be disconcerting but also exhilarating.

Lyrically it is as direct a record as it is musically, not so much promoting confrontation but becoming its head of PR. "Try to teach me a lesson, I'll keep you keep you guessin", she yelps in "I Will", a three-minute collision of distorted guitars, soaring synth and high-pitched vocals. Lead single "You're Not the One" is perfect evidence of Sky's command of a great pop song, something which is sometimes lost in a mass of noise and frustration. Here, however, she strikes the perfect balance between the two. But these high points are soured by moments such as the unrelenting fuzz and feedback of "Omanko" and "Kristine", which do little for the flow of the album and merely make it a more challenging listen that it needs to be.

Sky Ferreira has certainly evolved from her earlier pop and dance-rooted work, but in a peculiar twist of fate it's these roots which ultimately bring her closer to the genre that she's trying to distance herself from. Like so many pop albums, it's hard to doubt the quality of the individual tracks. But as a collection, it angrily stumbles and drunkenly falters its way to the sombre closing title – a fitting finish to an album that requires a little too much energy to truly enjoy. An enjoyable listen, but this ultimately feels like a missed opportunity.

Read more reviews like this one:[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the middle of the night and I'm so gone..., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Audio CD)
As far as describing the music of an LP pictorially, the cover of 'Night Time, My Time' is a pretty good signifier - nakedly confessional, a bit damaged, ugly/beautiful, dark and unashamedly confrontational. The album also contains my favourite collection of edgy, guitar-led synth pop since Chromatics' 'Kill For Love'.

In spite of taking an age to eventually appear, 'NTMT' is surprisingly cohesive and packed full of truly excellent, earworm tunes. Opening with the spiky 'Boys' which sounds like Kim Wilde fronting Suicide and covering Pulp's Common People (?!) it sets out a strong mission statement and carries it through. Sky's delivery is cool as you like but not aloof or precocious.
The lyrical and musical content of the album is a country mile away from the vacuous pop of Britney/Perry/Cyrus. 'I Blame Myself' is either a parody of a Gaga lifestyle or hilariously self-aware - either way it's a great tune. 'Omanko' is a bizarre but brilliant hissing beast - all motorik synth-chug with some particularly saucy lyrics if you translate...

The real gold is in the excellent scuzzy synth-rock tracks such as the ringing '24 Hours' - I can't help but see Molly Ringwald dreaming of John Bender post Breakfast Club whan I hear this. My personal highlight is 'You're Not The One' which instantly lodges in your brain after just one listen, the early/mid 80's distilled into a perfect pop song. 'Nobody Asked Me', 'Heavy Metal Heart', 'I Will' - all killer tracks with hooks to die for.
The album finishes with the astonishing, funereal title track which is like Cat Power fronting Shriekback (and every bit as great as that sounds)- the lyrics and title are based on lines spoken by Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

What really wins you over with this album is the sense of maturity and thoughtfulness that shines through. It reaches beyond the stroppy, angsty teen tropes which have been done to death and genuinely has something to say.
One of my favourite releases of 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the record, 1 April 2014
Night time my time i awesom! Sky is such a brilliant artist and i love her so so much... i hope she releases new stuff very soon :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, LTD edition worth getting, 4 April 2014
A great first album with some really catchy hits, the 'ghost ep' that comes with the limited edition is a wonderful addition as it comes with probably my favorite songs of the lot

4.0 out of 5 stars better than expected, 20 Mar 2014
stunning debut album, comes with free ep of extra tracks. should be big this year if there's any justice in this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The biggest pop surprise of 2013, 7 Mar 2014
I'm the first to admit - I didn't pay much attention to "Everything is Embarrassing" when it was released. So when I first heard Night Time, My Time, I didn't have much faith in Sky Ferreira.

Boy, consider me converted now. Night Time, My Time is an embarrassment of riches. It's not the obvious, mainstream pop; it's definitely pop, though. Does the term "alternative pop" exist? What does it mean, exactly? If it means "artist whose songs should be playing all the time on the radio and clubs", then it's an apt description. "I Will" is the best single Garbage has never recorded; "Boys" and "24 Hours" bring to mind the best moments of Ladyhawke; "I Blame Myself", with its John Hughes atmosphere, is heartbreaking as few songs in current pop are. And there's also "Heavy Metal Heart", which gets better the louder you hear it (just be careful with the neighbors). Summarizing: I haven't stopped listening to this album for months. It's that good.

(This great limited edition contains also the Ghost EP - and guess what? Now I'm in love with "Everything is Embarrassing" as well)

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Time, My Time, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Audio CD)
Sky Ferreira's debut LP 'Night Time, My Time' was worth the wait!!!
The album consists of electronic and pop/rock vibes, due to the brilliant production of Ariel Rechtshaid, who brought Charli XCX's incredible debut 'True Romance'.

Amazing album, well worth buying!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Than Meets The Eye...., 23 Mar 2014
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
It is blatantly apparent in the "artwork" for her debut album 'Night Time,
My Time' that Sky Ferreira is not in any way backward in coming forwards.
I wasn't too sure what to expect but truth-be-told the results are not
half bad in a sixties-girl-band-meets-post-grunge-Courtney-Love-kind
-of-way. We cannot pretend that Ms Ferreira has the finest of voices
but she does possess a certain raw louche energy which keeps things
moving along nicely and enough good stuff to keep our attention engaged.

From the grinding opening number 'Boys' with its dense Phil Spector-ish
ambience; through the nasty but nice Madonna-esque flourishes of 'I Blame
Myself' (quite a good tune actually!), to the breathless rock-chick antics
of 'Omanko' and curiously pretty machinations of 'Love In Stereo', I found
myself unaccountably falling just a little bit in love with her efforts.

It would appear that there's just a bit more to Ms Ferreira than meets the eye.

Brava!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 19 May 2014
Adam Hall (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I had been waiting years and years for this record and here it finally is. Whilst at the surface/first listen some songs seem brash and unnecessarily loud, you come to appreciate a genius behind every song on the album. The whole album creates this mix of 80s, pop, rock and strange sounds, it manages to keep cohesion and feels very genuine and well thought out.
With all guns blazing, wailing guitars, drums and silky smooth vocals, Sky Ferreira is one of those pop underdogs that will overthrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOPE YOU ARE O.K, 17 Mar 2014
In my mind Sky Ferreira is an absolute superstar whether this album goes multi platinum or sells a few thousand.
I was actually caught a bit off guard by this album expecting a somewhat aloof hip sound or songs diminished by the very of it's time pop of the brilliant Everything Is Embarrassing.Not so.This girl is all about the songs rather then dead eyed ironic posturing.And there is plenty here to suggest Everything Is Embarrassing was not a one off.
On I Blame Myself Sky is singing herself almost hoarse above one of the most insanely catchy tunes with heart and soul on sleeve.
There are shards of great influences through the album whether this be a bit of Courtney Love[kinda obvious]or [rather wonderfully]Suicide or [even cooler]Flock Of Seagulls.The title track is reminiscent of David Lynch.Two things are beyond certain
a]sky Ferreira has an awesome record collection
b]ariel's production on this is wicked.

This is in no doubt a brilliant pop album that should be massive.And hopefully it will silence the foul tribes of bullies who clog up youtube venting their internal anguish and terminal unhappiness onto Ferreira.
I make no bones about it when I saw her in Everything Is Embarrassing I was slack jawed at her beauty.I don't think I have seen someone who the camera loves as much.
At first with the album I was underwhelmed before suddenly I'd found myself walking the dog singing the wonderful chorus of Boys in my head.I could listen to her sing "I knew it was you all along" pretty much all day.
Then I Blame Myself starting tapping my cranium.
So what we have here is an emergence of a beautiful,individual special artist.
It is weird reading the negative views concerning Ferreira.....it seems that people almost want her to have a drug problem.
Then the old "authenticity" chestnut.What?
Since when does authenticity matter in the pantheon of pop music?
One of David Bowies earliest recordings concerned a Laughing Gnome.
Ironically what comes across mostly in the album is how open and simple it is.
The cover photo shot by French bad boy Gasper Noe is very striking and maybe is garnering controversy because it is showing vulnerability as opposed to Ferreira in an overtly sexual pose gyrating with a foam finger or phallic cork poppin champagne bottle.
Very nice album.