5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious and satisfying treat
Published 3 months ago by araminta

3.0 out of 5 stars TBH, it wasn't the best intro I could have asked for to Josh Lanyon. A bit too obvious...
This tale is certainly well-written, but it was pretty obvious from the time that Griff met the Arlington patriarch, how the tale was going to pan out. Pan out predictably, it certainly did, but the 'doing' was well done and fairly well-orchestrated, though there were a couple of 'let's suspend disbelief quite a bit' issues with the tale, the investigation and hindering...
Published 3 months ago by ROROBLU'S MUM

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious and satisfying treat, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
I came late to the pleasure of 'Josh Lanyon Land' and had a vast back catalogue to enjoy, and re-enjoy, before reaching the stage of anticipating a new release. Stranger On The Shore was certainly not a disappointment. As I have come to expect, the story, characterisation and atmosphere are all brilliantly drawn and I was totally immersed and hooked from start to finish. It is easy to fall in love with both protagonists and the setting and ambience are beautifully described. My only sadness is that it seems unlikely this will be part of a series.
One of the thing that defines Josh Lanyon books, is that there is so much more to them than just romance - there's a really good story too. Stranger On The Shore is no exception to this rule and provides a really excellent read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
My 1st Josh Lanyon book. I did figure out the guilty persons, but that didn't stop my enjoyment & I will check out other books by this author. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 2 Jun 2014
Anne (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
I've loved all of Josh Lanyon's works but this is one of his best I think. I loved the mystery...I genuinely didn't work out who took Brian or who, in the house, was complicit. I loved the romance and the characterisation of Pierce who was powerfully sexy - a traditional romantic hero. I loved the portrayal of the peripheral figures in the book - Jarret, Muriel, Mike, Diana.... And I loved that JL didn't wimp out with the ending. I ended up getting 4 hours sleep because of this story so... thoroughly recommended.

I saw Josh Lanyon described somewhere as 'the gateway drug for M/M'. The problem is I've never been able to find another author in the genre who comes close to matching him, so he's not so much the gateway drug as the ultimate high.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting mystery, tender romance, great characters, 31 May 2014
Jeannie Zelos "jeanie zelos book reviews" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Stranger on the Shore, Josh Lanyon
Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
I recognised the name from a book I read and enjoyed some time ago, and although Josh has written many books somehow I've not read any since. Anyway, this sounded interesting so I requested it.
It’s a suspense novel with a strong romantic thread running through. It's m/m romance, that doesn't matter to me, I just love a good romance, I enjoy best books focussed on people and this one does that perfectly. Griff is writing his first book, been given unprecedented access to the family, house and photos of the missing child. Jarret, little Brian's grandfather is an interesting character, and its clear that what he's hoping is that through this book research Griff may uncover some new detail. Griff isn't so convinced of that but does feel there's more to the story that revealed and that he can get a different angle on it.
The family though aren't as happy as Jarret, and are a strange mix. Grief can do odd things to people, but these seem as though they were weird even before the tragedy. The family solicitor Pierce is strongly anti the book, and tries all sorts of things to persuade Griff not to write it. He's seen so many people come and try to pass off as the missing boy – man now of 24 - that he suspects Griff has some hidden motive. He's very protective of Jarret, very close to him, and doesn't want him upset yet again. Griff and Pierce really don't hit it off at first and then..gradually...they get closer :-) Then someone turns up claiming to be Brian. Griff and Pierce are both convinced he's not, and are united in trying to prove it, but the family are convinced he's genuine. Then it turns dangerous....and Griff's life is at risk.
It’s a great read, not heart stopping intensive thrills, but subtle drama, clever clues laid out for reader, some of which took me in the wrong direction...and though I'd an idea of part of what happened I missed so many clues looking back! The final reveals took me very much by surprise, I just didn't see them coming but it all added up very neatly, no lose ends, no pulling rabbits out of a hat to fit the results..just good strong writing, and a plot that full of interesting characters, tender romance, and lots of mysteries to puzzle over. It’s been a while since thrillers/suspense was my reading mainstay, and I most enjoy books that are based around characters rather than events. This novel was perfect for me as I really enjoyed the characters, they felt real, I wanted Jarret to find his grandchild, was rooting for the romance, loved Griff, and even those in the novel that were odd all had their own very definite characterisations and felt very real. I need that to enjoy a book, if I don't care for the people then I simply don't get engrossed in what’s happened to them. Here there was a fantastic mix of characters.
Stars: five, great read, real people, with solid mystery to untangle.
ARC received via Netgalley

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Josh Lanyon novel, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
Josh can't write a bad novel. This is a lovely story well crafted and with great characters. I loved this novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the story. Flowed very nicely. My only down fall with the book was that I felt the ending was rushed and could have maybe had a little more time taken on it. But it was still an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as usual, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
I love Josh Lanyon's writing, fiction and non-fiction. This plot was as someone else stated, perhaps slightly obvious but it didn't spoil it for me, as Josh has a way of bringing his readers along with him. Griff was very engaging from the start with his tortured dreams, panic attacks and courage. Pierce was fascinating and sexy. You knew they would eventually get together, but the process was so enjoyable. I loved the way little bits of relevant history and secrets from the past were revealed and the descriptive passages were pretty amazing.

All in all, although not my favourite Josh Lanyon novel (I reserve that for the Adrien English books), it's still up there as a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
This is only my second Josh Lanyon novel and I absolutely loved it. Will definitely be reading a lot more from this amazing author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid read, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
I love josh Lanyon's books and whilst this was not the best I've ever read, it was a good solid read

5.0 out of 5 stars No one does mystery romance better than Lanyon, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Stranger on the Shore (Kindle Edition)
It seems like it's been a long time since I've experienced the force of "full novel length" Lanyon. And the wait is fully rewarded.

Stranger on the Shore is a modern mystery romance filled with classic goodness. The old money (dysfunctional) family dynamic, a 20-year-old unsolved kidnapping case, whodunit murder and most importantly, a well executed unreliable narrator. Makes readers seconding guessing the whole way along with the narrator in a sea of insanity, half-truths and breadcrumbs.

Simply sublime.

I just feel sorry for the next book I am going to read after this one. (less)

Stranger on the Shore