4.0 out of 5 stars A compact WiFI Extender that's easy to set up using WPS
Its nice to have a piece of network kit that is easy to set up and just works. This is one such item. Netgear has clearly put a lot of effort into simplifying initial setup, to the point that if you have a WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) button on your existing router, you only need to press a couple of buttons to get it working.

So, what does it do? Actually,...
Published 3 months ago by Peter

2.0 out of 5 stars Netgear Genie software ruins this
I bought two of these to replace a cheap and cheerful tp link access point to work as an access point connected through a home plug.

Published 7 months ago by Guy Christopher

2.0 out of 5 stars Netgear Genie software ruins this, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)

Netgear seem to have gone to great lengths to make it as difficult as possible to configure this, you'll see no static IP address, just a baffling direction to a web address on the back. How I'm going to manage the second one too is beyond me.

I was excited for this product, but the clunky and frustrating software wizards that are forced on you has really put me off Netgear devices.

If you're looking to simply add an access point with a basic defined configuration to your network, I would strongly advise avoiding this product.

EDIT: this device wants to function as a router. By default it creates a separate subnet for its wireless clients and wants to use NAT to pass the connections through to the router. This is an absolute nightmare for management as with an access point on a home network you really want the router handling DHCP, especially when you're using more than one extender. I can only assume Netgear's ideal network has a subnet for each device?

4.0 out of 5 stars A compact WiFI Extender that's easy to set up using WPS, 24 Aug 2014
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)

So, what does it do? Actually, it can perform two different tasks, acting as either a Wireless Access Point or as a Wireless Extender. Both of these tasks give you WiFi connectivity where you haven't previously had it, but the method is slightly different.

Most routers nowadays have WiFi built in, but if you need WiFi coverage away from your main router (if the signal gets too weak to use in the remoter parts of your house or garden) you need another WiFi device. You can connect it to your router using ethernet cable, which gives faster results but involves cabling. This is "Access Point" mode. Or you can position the extender inside the coverage of your existing WiFi router so that it will relay the WiFI signal to devices that are further away. This doesn't involve any cabling, but it means two wireles "hops", from your computer to the extender and then from the extender to your internet router. This is Extender mode. I suspect mode people will want to use Extender mode because it is so much easier to install.

Setting the Extender up in Extender mode is really straightforward if your router has a WPS button. You need to connect it wirelessly to your existing router, which you do by plugging it in near your router pressing the on/off button, and when it has started up (it takes about 60 seconds) pressing the WPS buttons on both your Extender and your existing router. After about 30 seconds the "Router Link" LED on your Extender turns green, and its connected. You can then connect your computer to the WiFi signal of the extender (the name will be the same as your existing WiFi with a "_2GEXT" suffix) - you can press the WPS button on the Extender again or type in the network password, whichever is easier for you. The "Client Link" light on the Extender should also now light up.

Incidentally, I set up my Extender using the above method in less than five minutes and without looking at the manual. If you use this method it really is very simple indeed.

So now you have it set up, you need to move it to a place that will give you WiFi coverage where you need it. Typically this will be about half-way between the router and the comfy chair where you want to sit with your laptop, tablet or whatever. etgear makes placing the Extender easy. There are two little arrow lights that can light up. If the link to the router is not very good, the arrow pointing to the router will light up: this means "move the Extender closer to the router". If the link to your laptop is poor, the other arrow lights up, which means "move the Extender closer to your comfy chair". If they both light up, you might have trouble finding an ideal place for the Extender, or you might need to move your comfy chair a bit closer to your router. Similarly, if the Router Link or Client Link lights go orange or red, you're not getting the fastest possible connection.

You can configure your Extender further if you so wish by logging in to it. You don't have to; everything should be set up and working by now. But if you want to tweak things,iIts easy to log in to the Extender to from a device that is connected to it (not to your existing router). Just start a browser and type in www.mywifiext.net (this is NOT an internet address: it connects you to your Extender, not to anything on the internet), and you should get a login page. Type in "admin" and "password", and you're in. You should incidentally change the administrator password: its under Profile => Maintenance => Set Password.

If you want the fastest possible connection, you can also make two changes. First you can configure the Extender to talk to your existing router on one WiFi band, and to client devices on the other. For example, you can have the link to the router using the 5GHz band and your devices connected on the 2.4GHz band. To configure this, go to Profile => Advanced => Operating Mode and choose the "Fastlane Technology" mode.

Second, you can choose the WiFi speed. Go to Profile => Setup => Wireless Setup, and choose the Wireless Mode and Security Options. Note that you will get the fastest speeds if you choose a mode of "Up to 300Mbps" *and* a Security mode of "WPA2-PSK [AES]" - this will configure the Extender to use two WiFi channels, and deselecting anything with "TKIP" in the Security part will disable some compatibility options that allows the WiFi to run faster. Remember that every time you reconfigure your WiFi you'll need to reconnect, so it can get a bit laborious.

Also, don't forget that you have an ethernet port on the Extender, so you can plug a device, such as a network disk drive, straight in to it. If you have the Extender in Access Point mode the ethernet port is used for the cable back to your router.

If you don't have WPS on your existing router, its still fairly easy to connect everything up - there are instructions in the manual that comes with the router. At the end of the connection wizard you get a "congratulations, you are now connected to the internet" page wich is a real internet page, so if you want to make further changes to your Extender configuration you need to type in www.mywifiext.net again, which is a bit frustrating.

Physically the Extender plugs straight into a standard 13 Amp power socket. It is a bit wide for a power strip (plugs may not fit into adjacent sockets), but it is a reasonably compact unit, and its not at all ugly. There are lots of little triangle cutouts round the edges, and a plain white front, with a couple of adjustable "bunny ears" antennae. I have mine in the kitchen to provide coverage to my patio (which is at the side of my house) and it looks perfectly OK there. It does not have the longest range I've seen on WiFi device, but if that comfy chair is no more than 20m away from the edge of the nearest WiFi signal this should do the job.

Netgear kindly sent me an Extender for me to write the above review. I am not connected with Netgear in any way. If you have a question about this WiFi Extender, there's an "Ask a Question" box somewhere on this page. I and my fellow reviewers will do the best we can to help you out.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Limited Connectivity" or "No Internet Connection", 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I'm very experienced in IT, its been my job for 20 years but Its been quite a while since any network product has irritated me this much, I probably have to think back to the 90s to come anywhere close to being this frustrated.

For starters, WPS button does nothing except make the extender blink an LED repeatedly until it goes back to its previous state.. despite me pressing the WPS button on the netgear router sat next to it.. it simply won't have any of it.

OK.. so I go through the manual setup and the so-called Genie.

Before doing so, I added the extenders MAC to the ACL of the netgear router, I ensured I had available IP addresses in DHCP Scope.

I connect to one of the SSID's of the extender, enter the default user/pass and I get in. Change password, Choose Router SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, changed admin password, set encryption to WPA2 and passphrases and it kicks me.. no problem, I expect that I have to reconnect.

I reconnect to the SSID of the extender (2.4ghz or 5ghz makes no difference)... open browser, go to mywifiext.net and login with new admin user/pass and I am in. Everything seems ok, resume the genie process step by step.. get to the end where it says disconnect and reconnect to the extender.. I do that then one of two things happens... depending on how its feeling.

1. My tablet, or laptop or phone's wifi manager says "Its taking a long time to connect" then eventually comes back with "Limited connectivity" or with "No internet connection" message. Then going back to mywifiext.net either works to the extender (but no internet access) or "Cannot find page".

Or

2. My tablet, laptop or phones wifi manager sits on busy until it comes back with a message that it cannot connect.

Ive also tried going into LAN settings when connected to the extender (mywifiext.net) and enabled NAT so the extender acts as a DHCP server and has its own subnet. Seems to work.. but still no internet connection. I'm connected to extender with maximum strength signal, extender is allegedly connected to my router fine, but no internet connection if I am connected to either of the extender SSID's.

Its ever so helpful though and tells me theres new firmware available everytime I log into the extender through mywifiext.net, but as it cannot get an internet connection it cant download it. Curious, I reverted to connecting my tablet directly to my router, browsed the netgear website for firmware and only see the same version that's already on the extender. Utterly useless.

So in summary... WPS button is useless, Instructions are useless, Genie is useless, new firmware message is useless. I've read on the Amazon US site (not on the netgear site as theres absolutely nothing helpful there) that the extender doesn't like WPA2 and a netgear tech advised to use WEP? Really?

I'm prepared to invest one more hour into this but if this is what I find at the end of it, its going to be returned as unfit for purpose.

I can recommend a lot of Netgear products, but this is not one of them.

*******************************

Edited 20/06/14

After a further 3 hours of repeating the same steps and without changing anything i was doing... i finally got the extender to connect properly and get internet connection.

Now that its working, its working like a charm with sustained max signal in the area of my home where i need it. Therefore i have changed the rating from 1 to 3.

If only this didn't have such a poor and frustrating out of the box experience, it could easily have been 5.

Netgear should focus on the setup aspect of the product as this is clearly the area where the product is weak.

*******************************

Edited 26/06/2014:

Spent a few more hours on it.. I cannot for the life of me get this to work in "Private" network mode, it will only work in "Public" which means it NAT/Firewalled and creates a separate subnet. Setting it as "Private" during setup results in inability for my devices to connect to it properly ("Limited Connectivity" message).. which then means i cannot connect to the extender using browser (mywifiext.net) to configure it and of course i cannot use internet or see any other devices.

After setting it to private, I found I had to do another factory reset to go back to the beginning... then followed a lot of attempts to set it up again and at the end only "Public" mode works. Its the type of device where once you have it working in any mode (even if not the one of your choice).. you should feel grateful its sort of working and you are reluctant to touch it again.. as this results in several more hours of mucking about with it to get it working again.

I would be interested to hear from other buyers to know if they have it setup in "Private" mode.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boost Your Range- But After A fair Bit Of Effort., 19 Sep 2014
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Netgear Stuff before both bought for myself and received free for review.
I have been mightily impressed.

I tend to be the type of person that prefers to plug in and play.
It may be age, slight techno phobia or whatever. But if a device is easy then I am fine with it.

This is a good device when you get it working but it was a challenge to get it up and running- finally I got a mate to connect it for me.
Luckily my wife and son were out because the air was blue.

Finally we ( I say we it was he really) got it up and running and so far (touch wood) it has worked really well and improved our connectivity.

BUT if you do find it hard to set up a device that is a little more complex and prefer something that is far simpler then I would suggest you read other reviews of similar devices.

(I am sorry to have to say this- as I say Netgear have been brilliant over the years and superior to others.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Very easy set up!, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
Fantastic! I was a bit dubious about this product having read some of the reviews about set up problems but I thought I'd give it a try because of the brand name and the fact that it has 2.4 and 5.0 range. To my surprise, connection was super easy, I have a virgin super hub and this is now easy connection was:
1. Plug in extender into socket in same room as router
2. Turn on and wait for on light to go green. Press wps button on extender. Press wps button on router. Wait until flashing green light on extender turns constant green.
3. Unplug the extender and plug it in to where you need it (in my case upstairs). Switch on your computer/smartphone/tablet and search for wifi connections in your new zone (where you previously had weak connection) and look for your old network name with the extension _5GEXT or _2GEXT and connect using your normal wifi password. Bob's your uncle !

1.0 out of 5 stars It won't do it's job, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
Bought this to extend the wifi up a floor (into the loft) so I can have internet connection in my room. Was told it was very good.
Set up was all fine, plugged it into the room diagonally (but not that diagonally) beneath mine. I get three bars of connection with the wifi from netgear, but it does not speed up the actual wifi at all. Most of the time it just doesnt load or doesnt work - it works fine in other rooms but although I'm connected fine, it can't seem to boost the wifi up a floor. I'm talking literally a few meters (through two walls) and it doesn't work.
Would not recommend in any way, I'm extremely jealous of the people who it seems to be working fine for - if anyone has any help to give me or any suggestions on others please feel free I'm desperate to find something that works.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, QUICK AND EASY TO SET UP USING WPS., 5 Dec 2014
Paul (Pembrokeshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I needed to write this review for two reasons with the first being about setup. You will read some negative reviews here about how setting up the extender is ruined by the Netgear software. If you keep on reading the reviews you will find a couple of reviewers have mentioned that you should not use the software and use the WPS linking and the basis of this latter advice I bought one.

I followed the WPS instructions and my unit was up and running in 5 minutes. No faffing around with manual settings just a simple linking handshake and off we go. And it has been brilliant, superb, outstanding. No exaggeration but the WiFi goes like something brown off a stick.

Our setup is BT Line & BT Home Hub 4R N600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL Modem Router and our download speed is a paltry 6.5mb (this time last year we lived in area with fibre to the property and 150mb download - I would cry if I had any tears left!). The fact is that though I miss all that lovely bandwidth, it is surprising what can be achieved with just 6.5mb and decent extender.

Take Netflix and the Amazon Prime video service both of which dream brilliantly from the BT router via the Netgear extender. The only issue we have is that the initial menu loading is a tad slow but once you into the menus buffering and streaming HD video is excellent and particularly so with Netflix.

The second reason for the review:
Prior to the Netgear extender, we were using a BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power Adapter Kit and though it did a job, the passing of your broadband via your electrical supply prior to extending is only as good as your wiring hence the move to just a WiFi extender.

I would have posted a photo of the back of my house so that you can see where I positioned the until for best coverage but for some reason Amazon is not allowing images to be used on this review. In the place of the photo, I will try and describe the scenario:
The only issue you face is the thickness of your walls and you have to consider a line of sight when positioning the extender. No off the shelf kit is going to penetrate a 2ft wall, a floor, a slate roof and another 2ft wall in total, as the crow teleports, about 20 metres (I first put the extender downstairs in an extension diagonally from the router - needless to say it did not work). I moved the router as far as it would go towards a window and I put the extender on the same floor and the router signal now only travels through one wall. When the signal arrives at the extender it has two bars but for the extender that is enough for it to grab hold of. When you search for the new connection (which cleverly uses the router password - less messing around the better) pickup the 5Ghz option and your all set.

The bottom line here is if you want WiFi speed and stability, have a WPS compatible router (I would be stunned if you didn't) then buy the Netgear extender.

Plug it in, press the WPS button on your router, press the WPS button on the Netgear extender and you are up and running that quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as some reviewers suggest., 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
Not too sure what everyone is complaining about but for someone who just wants to boost the range of their home WiFi network then this is great. Within minutes I had the device connected to my Homehub 4 on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands through after pressing the WPS button and following the instructions (you need to go through the process twice to join both bands). After moving it upstairs it was still connected and gave great coverage.

Like some other reviewers have stated the range of the 5Ghz network isn't as big as the 2.4GHz but I'm fine with that and I would assume most folk would be happy with 2.4GHz.

I've only gave it 4 stars was because my house is now has 3 WiFi networks instead of one and sometimes on my phone the internet appears to stop working but is easily fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the phone. Finally I think £65 is a bit much for this device but others out on the market are roughly the same but its great Amazon have it on offer at £47.99 at the time of writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected., 20 Oct 2014
M Shafique "Shafiq" (L O N D O N : UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I bought this Extender because it is a dual band device. It cost double compare to Netgear's EX2700 300Mbps. But was it worth paying double price? Certainly No. It's going back to amazon.
I have my Billion 7800DXL Dual Band router installed on ground floor. On ground floor I never get any speed or connection issues. On first floor my Iphone and Ipad works but I get very slow connection on my TV's wifi and Apple TV. If I move to the loft even my Iphone and Ipad seems to be struggling with getting good wifi signals. I initially bought EX2700 and installed it in loft and all my devices seemed to be working perfectly. I was able to stream HD videos from my PC to my TVs without any problems. Then I saw this Dual Band Extender and I thought it must be better than EX2700. But I was wrong.
I struggled 2 days just to get it connected to my router's 5Ghz band. The setup software is not the best but if you follow it, it does work. This extender was picking up 2.4Ghz signals but not 5Ghz from only 10 feet away from router. I kept resetting it and going though the set-up again and again until I got it connected to the 5Ghz. I first installed it in my loft where previous extender was working without any issues, but this EX6100 could not connect to 5Ghz band and was even showing red light for 2.4Ghz connection. I then moved it to first floor. Here this extender get connected to router at 2.4Ghz connection at 270mbs and 5Ghz connection at 108mbs.
I have tried all possibilities and found that it's waste of money for expecting dual band connectivity from this extender. I am going back to EX2700.
I have done little googling and found that 5Ghz signals although carry a lot more data than 2.4Ghz, but are much weaker in strength. It could be the reason why this extender is not picking up 5Ghz signals from the router and even when it does these are weaker than 2.4Ghz signals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a while to set up, but works perfectly, 16 Sep 2014
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
I have a large welsh Victorian three story house which is mostly built out of granite, any wifi we have doesn’t travel beyond a room, I’ve wired extra routers around the house which gives us wifi but have none at the rear of the house by the kitchen and dinner, thought this may just do the job.

The wifi extender looks a lot like the power line routers that you can buy that gives you wifi via the mains sockets, this I guess works on the same principle but does it via wifi.

Set in up wasn’t as straight forward for me as I thought, needs a bit more than just putting in a plug, If you okay with PC gear then this will be an easy install, if your not the Network website has an excellent support to help you get it up and running.

I managed to install after a few failed attempts all down to my errors, should have read the user guide properly. You can connect to your existing WiFi network via the WPS button on the EX6100 or by using the Genie Smart Setup.

I have gone from one bar on my ipad in the kitchen to 5 bars on my ipad, really impressed with the extender.

Very pleased that it does what I need it to do, I do understand peoples comments about set up, its straight forward when you know what to do but if your not IT competent then use the netgear support they are very helpful and talk layman's talk.

NOTE: I was contacted directly by Netgear and was sent this product for free in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
The free item in no way influenced my review

Netgear EX6100 AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender