Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

VINE VOICEon 10 November 2002
After getting the "Retroactive" album (a collection of older bits n pieces) and the "Vault" greatest hits album out of their system, Def Leppard released "Slang" and we finally got to hear what the new line up (now including Vivian Campbell) would sound like... and it was a bit of a disappointment as Def Leppard really did try something new and probably left most of their older fans scratching their heads.
The album never really gets going as the group try out new ideas... although there are some heavier tracks worth a listen, such as "Gift of Flesh". If you are new to Def Leppard then don't start here. Check out "Hysteria" or "Adrenalize" first.
However, for the collector and enthusiast, if you CAN get hold of this limited edition it is worth it if only for the 2nd CD included on this release, called "Acoustic in Singapore" as they perform classics such as "Animal" and "Pour Some Sugar on me" acoustically.
on 17 March 2014
Now what can I say? Truly, Slang is the most underrated release ever. Every song is a gem, a craft that is molted into perfection and you have song after song that just makes you go WOW...what is that? Different vocal styles, various instrument arrangement, all those "odd" little sounds, stunning lyrics, lack of the traditional harmonies..........and what do you get? The perfect release!! I can't pick out any songs that are better than the others since they are all stunning. However, the lyrics to the song "Where does love go when it dies" is breathtaking to say the least. I recommend that you listen and listen good and forget the harmonies of Hysteria and Adrenalize and be ready to be blow a way. This CD will make magic for your ears :)
on 14 March 2014
Slang has always been one of my favourite Def Leppard albums. The band did a lot of maturing through this album and this is evident in the lyrical subject matter. This album is a lyrical masterpiece and the band did a lot of maturing through this album with every song tackling a different subject. For me the stand out track lyrically is 'Where Does Love Go When It Dies'. Every time I've shared this song with non Def Leppard fans they've always said how beautiful the lyric is. Overall a very underrated album that deserves a listen.
on 6 July 2008
'slang' was a step in the wrong direction for many def leppard fans but to me it was a step into the future, since this album failed in chat success the leps have returned again to there roots a bit more, i love this album, for me i thought they wrote an album ahead of there time, this album shows how they have progresed. 'slang' the single for me was a 'pour some sugar on me' for the 90s, def leppard have never been a cool band to like, alot of people would class them as a really cheesy band, but this album has no cheese whatsoever, its a proper modern rock album,they havent tryed to sound like anyone there, i would have liked to have seen def lepard stick with this style a bit more, loads of samples and the production is just right, it isent over produced like alot of there albums. it has a very indian vibe.this album shows a mature side to def leppard, maybe not right for someone who just wants one album to see what there like, it could be my fav album.
on 14 March 2014
I love this album because it is is Def Leppard but without the glam. As an 80s metal fan I love classic Def Lep, but when you are in a more moody state of mind this is THE album to go alongside your Bon Jovi 'These Days'. Dark thoughtful and ideal for when you want something that really reaches out to you on more than a partying level.

My favourite Def Lep album, despite others claims it is not 'grunge' inspired it is just a bit more back to basic and has Asian influences than their other material.
on 13 February 2014
Loved this album when it came out and still do. (do I buy the deluxe edition too??)
Def not the MTV boppy of Hysteria and Adrenalize, but in my mind - as good as Hysteria. I'd be hard push if deserted on a desert island and I could only have one Def Lep album..!!!. As another reviewer so eloquently put it-as with marmite, you either love it or don't. If your a Def Lep fan I think you will. If its all about hair and glam, then no -its far to sophisticated for that. (think I will buy the deluxe edition)
on 17 March 2014
This album is undervalued by many as it was released when the whole world went "grunge" crazy. Many people will tell you that this album was Def Leppard's attempt compete with that and that they lost their way. That's not true, this album is still pure Def Leppard, with a bit of a difference.

The deluxe treatment is great too and it is interesting to listen to various versions of songs before they were finalised and perfected.
on 31 July 2014
Slang is Def leppard's best album which has something for everyone, Ballards, rock, thrash and this album has the extra tracks and demos. Well worth every penny. If you are an usual def leopard fan (hysteria) expect something completely different (darker and moody). Heavy produced but sounds great and master piece!
on 10 December 2008
I like Def Leppard very much. I've been a fan since their early albums. When I listen to Def Leppard, I expect sort of music from their albums High 'N' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria. After some years since Hysteria, they released Adrenalize and Retro Active in the early 90s and both albums were good. Waited another few more years to get SLANG. I just threw it away. No way. I hated this album so much. Complete change in the style. I thought all the 80s music is dead and so are the bands.

After many many years now, I found it somewhere in the corner and just played it once again. This time I liked it so much. It's been playing again and again in my iPod since. Yes it's still different but I would rate it as the Best as their other albums. Maybe I'm older, matured and changed. In the first go, anyone will throw it in a bin just like I did. And then after couple of times listen, you will keep it under your pillow and listen to it all night long.

In short, if you expect Def Leppard like the 80s, you will hate this album and the band. 'Boys ! What have you done ? You spoilt everything'. If you are ready for the change and wanna try it, go ahead. Take your time, take a deep breath, relax and push play. You may have to try it couple of times. Then you will say 'Thank you for the good music, boys !'
on 13 February 2014
The most underrated of Def Leppards releases, remastered, and accompanied by a range of B-sides, as well as some unreleased tracks from the Slang era. And, as if that isn't enough, also included are some rough mixes, and first drafts of the songs that would eventually make it onto the album. Fantastic.