Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 23 May 2003
Dusty's digitally-remastered, bells & whistles re-release of her debut solo Album is a real treasure. It shows that, although her style and material may have become more sophisticated with later recordings, unlike some other Artists, her voice was as strong and natural in the early sixties as it was when she died.
Belting her way through true diva-esque numbers like 'When The LoveLight Starts Shining Through His Eyes' and 'Don't you Know', her voice shows its true power when handling numbers like 'My Colouring Book', a song which, under a less sensitive talent, could very easily have become maudlin and anodyne.
This re-release version also contains bonus tracks not contained on the original, of which 'Once upon a Time', 'Can I Get a Witness' and 'All Cried Out' shine out as some of Dusty's best recordings this side of 'Dusty In Memphis'.
Put simply, this is one of her abolute best releases, and a must-have for everybody.
I always try and find the best possible recordings/transfers,by this I mean the tracks must be stereo where possible and properly remastered,this is sadly often not the case with older pop music.

This album is very interesting because when the engineers tied to put it together,they could not find some of the original stereo master tapes,so they used what tapes they could find and remixed them into stereo.This means some of the tracks are slightly different from the original 60's hits versions.Listen to "I Only Want To Be With You",Dusty's voice is not like the original,it's better if anything because all the double tracking and screechy echo effect on the 60's version is not there.Dusty's voice is so great,it does not benifit from gimmicks,only people that cannot sing need such effects.

This CD is one of very few that has stereo versions of her first hits.All tracks are stereo except for track 20,The Summer Is Over and the quality is excellent for tracks approaching 50 years old.

The only alternative I have found is a quite rare CD issued in USA,it's the USA equivalent so it has similar(not identical) tracks, "Stay Awhile-I Only Want to Be with You/Dusty",HOWEVER YOU NEED THE 1997 TARAGON VERSION,WHICH IS ALL STEREO,NOT THE 1999 PHILIPS VERSION,as it appears between these two dates the stereo master tapes went missing,so the later Philips version is not all stereo.I found my copy on Amazon.com

For more info on Dusty's albums I suggest you visit a well known online free encyclopedia,you will find the correct info with a quick google.

To sum up,either of the CD's mentioned here are thoroughly recommended,but try the mp3 samples and make up your own mind.
Dusty was lead singer of the Springfields, a folk-pop trio whose complete recordings can be found on Over the hills and far away (which I’ve already reviewed). Dusty wanted to record pop and R+B music so the trio disbanded. This CD contains all the tracks from Dusty’s first album, plus bonus tracks recorded at around the same time. On this re-issue, many of the tracks have been re-mixed but they sound fine to me. You must make up your own mind about the re-mixing.
The big hit here is I only want to be with you, which provided Dusty with her first solo hit. In the seventies, the Bay City Rollers and the Tourists both covered it and each had a UK hit with it.
Anyone who had a heart was an American hit for Dionne Warwick, a British hit for Cilla Black and a French hit (sung in French) for Petula Clark. I don’t think Dusty’s version was released as a single in any country, but it’s every bit as good as the hit versions.
Other covers here include You don’t own me (Lesley Gore), My coloring book (Barbra Streisand), Mockingbird (Charlie and Inez Foxx), Twenty four hours from Tulsa (Gene Pitney), Will you love me tomorrow (Shirelles) and Can I get a witness (Marvin Gaye).
This is a wonderful album, very different from Dusty’s music with the Springfields, which clearly signalled the way her solo career would go.
on 20 June 2016
Dusty's original debut solo album sounds as good now as it did over fifty years ago.With the addition of eight bonus tracks including a remixed version of " I only want to be with you" which brings her vocals to the foar which makes it sound better than the original.
on 3 March 2016
I bought this for the un-produced version of 'I only want to be with you'. It's lovely, you can hear a lot more of Dusty's natural voice. Recommended
on 16 April 2016
We bought this cd to solve an argument about one of the songs, 'you don't own me', which my husband said Dusty never recorded. Proved him wrong!
on 7 March 2013
A real blast from the past , memory lane etc everyone should re-visit some of their past to bring back the good times
on 11 August 2013
Wonderful CD of great music by a great singer. Some of her better pieces are included.
She is sadly missed!
on 28 January 2013
Bought this as part of a Christmas present for my daughter and she loves it! Some songs never date! Classic
on 24 May 2014
nice cd anyone who followed dusty good price Thanks not much more to say on this only thank you again