4.0 out of 5 stars 40 not out...
Published 6 months ago by G. E. Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Blue Blue Soul
Just received my copy the other day, i guess it may take a few more listens to appreciate his new album, the only reason or reasons why i have given the release 3 stars is it's not breaking new ground, when you are on a particular format why change a good thing.
The songs are good, but i feel there is a lack of spark in the grand scheme of things, but one great thing...
Published 6 months ago by Peter L. Crisp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 40 not out..., 31 Mar 2014
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
This album marks 40 years in the business for Robert Cray (and long-term bass player/song writer Richard Cousins) and highlights Robert's soul/R&B side with covers of songs by Otis Redding, Lou Rawls and Bobby `Blue' Bland. This is good news for me because I've always favoured Robert's soul output rather than his straight blues. As well as Cousins the band features returning keyboard player Dover Weinberg as well as drummer Les Falconer, who joins Robert on vocals for the fabulous version of Redding's "Nobody's Fault but Mine" - with its great brass lines. Robert does a really good laid-back reading of Rawls' "Your Good Thing (Is About to End)" and "Deep in My Soul" is transformed from Bland's impassioned southern soul blues to Robert's own style of smooth late night soul blues.

Elsewhere his own songs are very much on a par with these soul classics, opener "You move me" is probably the album's most bluesy song, with really nice stinging guitar and the instrumental "Hip tight onions" is pure Booker T and the MGs. There are also some really nice trademark Cray super-smooth soul ballads - with two of my favourites "What Would You Say" and "Pillow" starting off with strange almost psychedelic guitar effects before turning into typical Cray melodic heart-felt ballads. Looking forward to seeing Robert in early May in Birmingham during his UK tour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Out Of My Soul, 4 May 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
Wonderful album from Not So Young Bob. Cray perfectly captures Soul music, there is a distinctive sixties sound, but mixed with it beautifully is Cray's outstanding guitar work. Thoroughly enjoyable album, as the cover & title suggests, this piece of work is retro, it wouldn't sound out of place in any era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seductively Subtle Soul Stirrer, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
This is Robert Cray's best release in a decade. He's reunited with producer Steve Jordan, the man who helped to shape 1999's Take Your Shoes Off and 2001's Shoulda Been Home, both well worth checking out. RC has Les Falconer on drums for this one, and it makes a big difference. Falconer is the best drummer Cray has ever worked with on record, and his ability to mine the retro fatback drum sound with authenticity gives this record a classic groove and ambience. As the title suggests, the focus is on soul. This has to be the best soul-blues album of 2014 by a long shot. The competition can't touch RC because of his distinctive voice and guitar work. Although his guitar takes more of a back seat than on some of his records, when he solos he's excellent, his playing mature and self assured. No need to show off, Cray knows he's got it without having to flaunt it.

The choice of material is superb. Covers such as Bobby Blue Bland's Deep In My Soul, Lou Rawls' Your Good Thing Is About To End and Otis Redding's Nobody's Fault But Mine sit very comfortably alongside new originals. Amongst those originals, Fine Yesterday and Hold On seem to represent new territory for Cray, he's never recorded anything quite as luxuriously mellow before. Everything about this album is deluxe. It has an authentic retro sound that pays homage to Stax, Hi and Muscle Shoals, yet it somehow doesn't sound like pastiche, and maintains a subtly contemporary sensibility at the same time. Quite a feat, and something only Cray seems able to pull off at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably Roberts Best Ever, 13 April 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
I don't typically write reviews but saw 'Si's' review and thought what?
Each to his own but this album from RCB is pretty close to perfect.

Although I love blues, I have a preference for Robert Cray Memphis soul/blues more akin to some of his 90's efforts supported by Horns etc. Robert perfects this sound and its so listenable I've had this playing almost constantly since day of purchase (14 days and counting!).

Its great to have Steve Jordan producing again after previously producing Take Your Shoes Off (1999) & Shoulda Been Home (2001), two of RCB's best efforts. The feel is retro, the album flows nicely in the same genre. Vocals are superb (Robert is the modern day Sam Cooke to me) and musicianship beautiful. Guitar work is nice and tasty but not overstated, much like the keyboards from Dover Weinberg. Jim Pugh was great but I felt he sometimes had a bit too much influence musically on tracks in recent years. Keyboard/piano on this album are fairly understated but vital. Its great to have horns on this album.

I've been saying to my wife for a few years now, I wish Robert would record something similar to his 90's output, forget the rock side & add some soul to his blues. I must have had a mind meld with Robert because this is a great end product.

The cover of 'Your Good Thing Is About To End' is excellent - its hard to know whether I prefer this version or the O.V. Wright version I have. Other stand out tracks for me are I Guess I'll Never know (much like Al Green or RCB's Love Gone To Waste in 1999), Hold On (beautiful slow number) and You're Everything (Slow number but boils up to great guitar finale).

I guess I'm not quite so keen on the instrumental 'Hip Tight Onions' & What Would You Say (not so keen when Robert does politics etc) but this album is so strong and highly recommended.

Thanks Robert, the band and Steve Jordan for a very nice album, great work.

5.0 out of 5 stars More soul than blues (the clue is in the title!)., 5 April 2014
Al (Farnborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
I have discovered Robert Cray quite recently and this is only the third of his albums that I have bought. I have a lot of catching up to do!

This is much more laid back and soul-influenced that the previous (and also excellent) "Nothin' but Love". Robert's guitar playing is still very much evident, and excellent, but in my opinion the style on this album highlights how good his voice is.

You cannot pigeon-hole Robert Cray into a particular musical style or genre. For anyone who is not familiar with Robert Cray, I would describe him as a soul singer and blues guitarist with elements of jazz in the background, but that's my view and it's not as clear cut as even that convoluted description. There are definitely a wide range of influences behind his music, which should make his albums appeal to anyone who genuinely enjoys good music rather than just being a fan of a particular style.

"Nothin but Love" is more up-tempo with more emphasis on Robert's blues guitar playing and Heavy Picks is an excellent "best of" collection, which might be a good starting point for anyone not familiar with his work, although I would also recommend this excellent offering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul Blues Fusion, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
This is exactly what you would expect from the Robert Cray Band, its not ground breaking or revolutionary but very good soul / blues music. Track one starts the album well with 'You Move Me' a light blues track featuring classic Robert Cray vocals, this is followed by a new treatment of the Otis Reading Classic 'Nobody's Fault but Mine' before the album takes a blues ballad turn for a couple of tracks.

My favourite track is 'What would you say' very contemporary lyrics capturing the mood of today, combined with some excellent guitar work. Track 8 is the instrumental 'Hip Tight Onions', an excellent 40th album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilled out blues, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
Robert Cray makes everything seem so effortless. His mellow blues never fails to disappoint. This is another fine album, by a fine guitarist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one..love this!, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
This is the best RCB ....New line up is fantastic and great tracks.Does not disappoint as usual.What a voice Bob.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
A great CD that builds it's reputation the more you play it and in concert, his current band are fantastic, as usual.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rbt Cray, 15 May 2014
This review is from: In My Soul (Audio CD)
I didn't know his stuff before I got this CD and really like most of the tracks and of course they will grow on you more, the more you listen! A well produced and very listenable CD from a master of his instrument. Great voice too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In My Soul
In My Soul by Robert Cray (Audio CD - 2014)