5.0 out of 5 stars The world is watching...
I've been on a Within Temptation rampage in the first few days. Not least because I've been downloading pretty much everything I own as MP3s. That meant all of Within Temptation's back catalog - it also meant I had the great honour of listening to everything they've ever done from the beginning. The journey has been immense and so has the wait for Hydra.

Hydra...
Published 7 months ago by Sports.Bargains

1.0 out of 5 stars Average Album... Terrible Sound!
I will do this review in two parts; a part on the album itself and a part on the awful production job.

The album itself is... well it's ok. My main problem is that all the songs seem to blend together because there is a real lack of dynamics on this album. The songs all plod along at the same kind of pace. In addition, despite all the guest vocals, it seems the...
Published 16 hours ago by Sarah

‹ Previous | 16 7 813 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Feb 2014
Ozricman (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hydra (Audio CD)
This latest offering is exactly how you would expect it to be since the chart success of "faster". Too many radio friendly tracks and what on earth are they doing putting some rap singer on a track. Why do they feel the need to insult us with such banality. I'm afraid they've sold out to the chart listening masses.
Come on WT, you're better than this, remember how you got where you are!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Aug 2014
Philip James - See all my reviews
arrived in time & great CD

2.0 out of 5 stars WITHIN TEMPTATION GO TOO FAR DOWN THE WRONG PATH - IBIZA DISCO MEETS EURO-PAP, 12 Feb 2014
I am a massive fan of Sharon and her band. Discovering their music in the early days had a great impact on me. Their albums to date have always offered something new and unusual - each being a classic, with some stand-out songs that can compete with the best. They are also terrific live. However, the lst album and a few singles have hinted that they want to go in another direction, and unfortunately Hydra just confirms my very worst fears.
Hydra sees WT step fully into a new groove...one a mile away from the Symphonic Rock they were loved for. Sinead hinted at it, (but was nonetheless a great song). WT's new sound is more akin to heavy Ibiza disco than the sound that made them famous. This album sees Sharon's vocals recorded with loads of reverb to give it a "soaring, epic" feel, but the songs are just all the same, and crushingly dull at that. Without the guest artists the first three songs are almost identical and blur into one turgid mass.
Sadly the duet with Tarja is probably the album's stand-out track by a long way. Shame because it's the sort of formulaic pap that would usually only make it on a 'b'-side, or album filler. After the under-employed Tarja is dispatched is is back to more bland 'heavy-metal-meets-euro-pop' and a slow painful slide into the final song where WT wallow in Michael Bolton country and bury their true fans hopes of ever hearing anything as truely magnificent as Ice Queen, The Other Half Of Me, or Deciever Of Fools.
The production of the album doesn't help. It seems to be aiming at a 'wall of sound' as mastered best by Phil Spector or Abba, but all it achieves is a muddy white noise with Sharon's vocals weakly shimmering over the top like a strained and asthmatic wheeze..l...albeit over-boosted by reverb and filtering.
The greatest shame is that this album will sell well and convince this hugely talented and unique band to continue on this decent into anonymous mediocrity. Make no mistake, this album may proved to do to WT what the excreble 'Lulu' did to Metallica - a HUGE mistake.
Robert and Sharon need to stop going on holiday to Ibiza and stop liking what they hear in the beachside discos. Let more of the band write the songs if Robert is running dry on ideas and get someone else to produce the next album. Mother Earth and Silent Force were masterpieces - Hydra is just a morass of pap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Within evolution, 4 Feb 2014
I've been a fan as well since mother earth and I've always enjoyed them. I know many of the fans still prefer the first cds, but... I see evolution and I do like all the albums equally. I miss in this album the orchestral versions, and some of the duets I would not be so sure about.
I was listening to the album end-to-end the other day, and my feeling was: each of the songs could be singles (I would remove the rap part of And we run) but all of them make sense together as a concept.
The greatest surprise for me was the duet with Tarja... after all these years finally!! So overall I can say I'm happy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Feb 2014
Having been a WT fan since the Silent Force I have seen them produce some great albums and this does not dissapoint

If you like big "sound" epic tracks with that symphonic vibe then this is for you.

My favourite has to be "And We Run", its the track you think shouldn't work with Xzibit, but it does beyond all expectations.

Take a chance you will not be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars WT Rock!!!, 11 July 2014
LOVE THIS ALBUM!!! WT ROCK!!!! Had this from the moment it was released. Seen them live twice (Unforgiving tour and Hydra tour) Cannot find fault with this band! All phenomenal. Was a bit worries about the track And We Run....I mean how the hell can rap and metal combine to make something wonderful? But dont be fooled, it works so well and is in fact one of my favourites on the album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 July 2014
great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely important musical journey!, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Hydra (MP3 Download)
Fantastic, Outstanding, I really love it. Beautifully produced and WOW the duets on this CD are brilliant. Also - the only rap song I love! Cheers WT - you've done it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb addition, 2 July 2014
An awesome album. Nice to see that within temptation are still the best at this genre of music

5.0 out of 5 stars Hydra, 17 Jun 2014
I love WT and this is definitely how to present an album. Loved it from first listen, but it still gets better every time.

‹ Previous | 16 7 813 | Next ›