on 12 March 2015
The first thing to note is that the author doesn't write as if English is his first language. The language the characters use is very stilted and I doubt anyone in real life would talk like that. Also, some sentences read awkwardly, such as "The crewmen took off running toward to the rear of the ship" and there's one instance where a common expression is somewhat butchered - "Stay close to your friends and closer to your enemies".

That aside, the story is quite engrossing and therein lies the problem - nothing, absolutely nothing, is explained in this book.
Trying to avoid spoilers here but basically, the things they discover are described in detail but we finish the book none the wiser regarding literally everything they found. The books they find, the orb, the creatures, the civilization, the people who tried to shoe-in on the discovery (and where they went, they just suddenly disappeared), the main protagonist's condition (you learn relatively early that he is dying, but no info on this at the end and he's living life like he's fine).
I cannot stress enough that this LITERALLY reads like half a book. You can use your own imagination, for instance I'm sure the orb did something to certain people, etc. but I have around 40/50 unanswered questions and the entire storyline is not explained. I can appreciate leaving some bits for a sequel to explain, but not to this degree.
Metaphorically, it would be like a book on an alien invasion and describing the aliens in great detail, but just suddenly ending the book with "the aliens destroyed the world".

Would not read again, I technically have no idea what this book is about.
on 25 May 2014
I like a bit of escapism and this book seemed promising. Sadly the author was just not up to the task of making the best of their ideas. I stayed with it but I have to say the ending could only be described as though a teenager was penning the story and was suddenly called down to have supper. It would be a little foolish to say a fantasy book lacked realism but there were just too many loose ends. Often that would be a good set up for a sequel but in this case I would not read a sequel even if it was free. This was really only worth two stars but as I say I did like the initial idea.
on 3 August 2015
Characters are poorly detailed, ridiculous plot hole and over simplified writing. Really struggle to believe any serious reader would like this book. If you want an action adventure story read Wilbur Smith and see how it is done by a master. Oh, and the ending is rubbish, feels rushed and leaves many unanswered questions (not least, how did this book get published) Gave a 2 out of 5 as I did read it all but wish I hadn't and will certainly not be reading any more from this author. Avoid unless you are really bored (or maybe 9 years old and even then I would think hard about it)
on 31 July 2014
Very weak. Characters lack depth, and a very thin plot that doesn't convince. Appears to be first of a series as several plot lines do not conclude, so I assume these will develop in a sequel. Many opportunities to develop the plot to satisfy reader curiosity are missed, and hence questions left unanswered. The science is poorly developed, and the villains predictable and hackneyed. The artifice of unfinished threads to link to a sequel is fine, but the reader is left knowing little more at the end than they did at the start. I kept wanting to find out more, but in vain.
on 21 March 2014
I liked this book but when I stopped to think about it this feeling tended to slip. There was lots of action and a plot that kept pushing forwards but I would have liked the story to answer some of the questions that the story raised eg about the nature of the ancient civilisation, the reality behind the science and what was motivating the opposing sides. I normally prefer an action novel of the type that deals with such questions but I still enjoyed it.
on 19 March 2014
If, like me, you enjoy a good fantasy adventure without having to think too hard about it, this is right up your street. Also try the Lost Valley series by the same author. Not high brow reading by any stretch, just a fun read.
on 18 February 2016
ridiculous characters in a confused and cardboard situation. don't waste your time. nonsense from beginning to end. became totally disinterested from early on
on 17 January 2015
Brilliant writing could not wait to turn next page.
Held me every moment.
Read till my eyes hurt,but wanted more.
on 7 April 2014
new author to me but well readable. will continue to follow this writer as it is gripping story line, well done.
on 1 November 2014