on 12 May 2014
Excellent book, came across it at exactly the right time when I was in need of more than a spring clean [and so was my house!]
It motivated me to get rid of decades of clutter and I re read it once I finished it to keep me motivated, I am still de cluttering today and wont finish probably for another month or so but the results are life changing!
on 11 January 2015
I have a whole bookcase and numerous magazine articles on decluttering around the flat, but this is the best !

I first heard about it from my lovely sister (:-) ). Since I'm a bloke the idea of getting in the spirit of it all required me to buy a handbag in order to "thank it" for holding all my stuff . This was something I initially resisted - but I thought let's get with the program ! I now have several handbags and in the spirit of decluttering I chucked out my first aid kit,bread-maker and a couple of family heirlooms to make room for them all...

I went further than the author, who crossed the line by throwing out her brother's stuff without his permission. I threw out my brother !

SERIOUSLY This is a powerful book. I have thrown out 15 full bin liners of junk and genuinely feel much better after a furniture rearrange. Truth is, I've haven't actually bought the book, because I thought it would add to my mountain of clutter !
on 27 January 2015
Easy to read and understand, good views on what to get rid of. But the book could have been shorter. Don't forget to watch the youtube videos to see how things should be folded
on 22 May 2014
The delivery of her advice seems a little hare-brained at first reading but, on further reflection her idea are not that strange, and more importantly, they are effective. she does go a little overboard, anthropomorphically, but this book is well worth readina dn applying, simply because it works. I've tried it and I'm sticking with it.
on 21 January 2016
This is a very short read - and the Kindle copy could use some illustrations, especially in relation to Kondo's folding method. However these are available elsewhere on the web. Overall, this is a great little book for kick-starting a decluttering process. I think her methods probably suit single-person households best though - and it's obvious she's often talking about small Japanese living spaces, rather than larger family homes of two or three storeys. It's relatively easy to contain one's own clutter; not so easy to be tidy amongst a family of hoarders! I liked her idea about decluttering by category rather than room. She's absolutely right that most households have lots of the same things dotted around the house. However, gathering items from several different locations (especially if this involves going up and down stairs!) takes an enormous amount of time in an average UK family house, so we've approached our New Year declutter room-by-room and in the process found clothes in 5 locations and batteries in 3! I liked her principles and these do help. Concentrating on keeping only things that spark joy is a good philosophy, although that can need stretching a bit when dealing with utilitarian items. I liked the concept of guilt-removal too. If an item has done its job but has outlived its usefulness - or could be useful to someone else, mentally thanking it for its service helps with the usual guilt trippers about waste and over-consumption. There's a useful section too about how many of us 'gift' items to others, often unsolicited. This passes the burden on to someone else, so in future I'll ask if someone needs old clothes/bed linen, before recycling it to them! The most helpful thing ever however is her advice about folding and storing clothes 'standing up' in drawers so you can see everything in there. This is a gem of a tip because it keeps clothes crease-free and also means clothes get rotated properly. She's absolutely right too that few of us need more storage - we actually need to discard more, to free up current storage. As a result (and we're only about half-way through our house) we've now got a few empty drawers and shelves which is a complete novelty in a busy family house. None of this is rocket-science, but her USP is that her advice is contrary to the usual 'do a bit at a time/one in one out/buy more storage' tropes - plus she ventures into the psychological well-being aspects of decluttering and restoring order. I'm glad I read it.
on 16 May 2015
I picked up this book as nothing seemed to ever help in dealing with the piles of boxes in the loft and endless categories of things waiting to be sorted. It did help. It has a considerate and sensible take on things, although it can seem a bit extreme and uncompromising. Looking forward to doing some proper tidying! Thank you, Marie!
on 7 July 2014
I found Ms Kondo's writing style and suggestions quite different to the mainly American decluttering books I have been reading recently but maybe because her methods are different and therefore fresh to my eyes they seemed to strike a chord. All fired up I started, as she suggests, with clothing and, this Saturday, sweating and breathless after going up and down the stairs about 10 times to ensure every garment I owned spread around the house was in one place prior to the clear out, and having emptied my entire wardrobe on the bed to boot, I looked at the huge mountain of clothes/mess I had made in my cluttered bedroom with pride. A couple of hours later not having touched said pile I was starting to feel a bit concerned. Family members went past giving me pitying looks and offers of boxes to put everything in so I would have a bed to sleep in later. I procrastinated a few more hours, even curling up on the end of the bed in the one clear space to have a snooze and build up to it ; ) but by mid afternoon I knew I had to start and that was when the strange thing happened. Actually looking at the clothes in a different space and picking up each one and holding them in my hands as Ms Kondo suggests, I was able to distinguish possibly for the first time between what I wanted to keep and what could go without any of the normal guilt/uncertainty. The next hour flew by and I ended up with seven bin bags of excess clothing which I took down to the local Salvation Army collection point (Ms Kondo doesn't mention what you do with discarded clothing and so some people seem to assume that means it goes in the rubbish, but I would think most would just donate good clothing to charity rather than the bin). I then looked at the remaining small pile and started to put it away and it was bizarre. Every thing that was left that was meant for the wardrobe fitted perfectly and my t-shirts, having double checked the folding method on YouTube to visualise it better, all fit in just one drawer rather than the three I thought they would need and looked wonderful! Just opening my wardrobe brings me joy (which I know may sound a little cheesy) but knowing that everything in it fits and is in order makes the world of difference in the morning.

I know for me, clothing was the easy thing and other people may have a stronger attachment to what they wear, I also know I have a long way to go with the rest of my stuff. But having seen such wonderful results in the space of one day I will definitely be sticking with the method for a little longer.
on 2 February 2015
The author does have some good ideas and strategies regarding how to go about tackling decluttering and tidying, but it could all be compressed into two pages. What wasn't for me was the author's insistence that what worked for her *had* to work for everyone else, and that the kind of items she could let go of *had* to hit the dirt for her clients, too . . . I started off thinking she was just a bit bossy (fair enough) and ended up thinking that the whole thing came over as, well, slightly obsessive. Like other reviewers have pointed out, Kondo enforced her obsession on her family, disposing of their possessions without their permission, and through the process that her compulsion took, developed the Konmari method. I'm sure it works really well, and I'm sure that homes end up much tidier and much less cluttered - but ripping the 'important' pages out of books and throwing the rest away is suspect. Passing the book on seems so much more . . . pleasant. Granted, this was part of her journey to the method she developed, but it throws a hinky light on the finished system for me. But, unlike the advice in the book, I'll just finish by saying it wasn't for me, but I won't throw any kind of hissy if it works for everyone else. I did buy the book for some ideas, so it did the trick in a way. It gave me an idea of what I'm not going to do.
33 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2015
This book offers a simple process for both decluttering and simplifying your life by questioning how much of your 'stuff' still sparks joy. The application of Marie's approach will be challenging because it requires letting go.
If I have one complaint, it is the lack of pictures/diagrams to help with folding and storing clothes. I resorted to YouTube for clarification.
on 8 July 2014
Fantastic book - simple techniques but very effective. Some of the narrative is quite over the top - thanking a pair of socks for the work they have done today etc but that aside this is a great book. Storing folded clothes on their side rather than on top of each other and getting rid of things which don't bring joy are the 2 stand outs for me. Thoroughly recommend this book