5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
I read this from cover to cover in less than 24 hours, while away from home so I was itching to put the ideas into practice. I had a tidy handbag as a result!

Published 6 months ago by ZCC

1.0 out of 5 stars Surely written by a woman with psychological issues?
Lessons from an obsessive? Really?

I'm not saying there is nothing to learn from this book - although the only thing that stays with me is that you should fold T-shirts in drawers and stack them 'sideways', which I'd never thought of but the same advice can happily be found free on youtube - but you cannot accept that this woman is by any usual standards...
Published 1 month ago by PenGirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 7 Jun 2014

Firstly, the folding is pure genius. It saves so much space, you can see what you have/need instantly (and I have found myself lovingly stroking the fabric because all lined up they look so pretty!) - I can see how this affects mood, the care of clothes (as you are spending time folding them properly, you can see any pilling, holes,tears, etc) and general organisation. Having got my clothes sorted (which took less than 2 hours) then I cracked on with books and DVD's. So far, so brilliant. I've done one trip to the Charity shop, have another ready to go, items for ebay and can't wait to finish.

I like that it's not prescriptive - Marie just says 'discard'. None of this 'three box' or Softly Softly approach. xI like that there are no navel gazing pap-psychology sections. Do it, do it now and feel better.

I initially had misgivings at the 'does this bring me joy' principle, thinking of joy as happiness, but I realise that Bringing Joy also means fulfilling its purpose. My cheese grater doesn't make me leap with happiness, but having recently used one I don't like, I realise mine is simple, effective, purposeful and does bring 'joy'! My watch, while not pretty, brings me joy. So, I am looking at things anew - and this book is definitely remaining on the 'it brings me joy' pile :-)

Thank you Marie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good source of inspiration, 13 April 2014
Bought the Kindle version of this book having read and enjoyed extracts from the book in the national press. Decided if I'm to follow her advice then it would be preferable to purchase the electronic version rather than a hard copy that I will at some point have to 'discard'! The book is very readable and I soon read it. The author writes in a style such that inspires you to pick the book back up and read on, which must be quite an accomplishment for what could be considered a tedious subject.
As a lifelong hoarder, I feel the time has come to get my house in order and reduce clutter once and for all (I have previously dabbled here and there, got overwhelmed by the task and given up). Kondo makes some very valid observations and I found myself identifying with traits of her many clients that she mentions along the way. In a nutshell, the crux of her theory is that most of us harbour far too many possessions, far more than we need, therefore we should only keep items that 'bring joy'. Her advice is to discard anything that doesn't bring joy. I agree, however throwing everything into landfill does not sit well with my conscience, so having started to tackle clothes (as she suggests), I have created 'charity shop' and 'clothes bank' piles. To be fair she does not state how we should get rid, she merely says 'discard' (lots!). I was unable to follow her instruction that says gather up everything in a certain category (eg clothes) and place in a pile on the floor and go through item by item deciding what brings you joy. Being a hoarder, there is no space on the floor to do this! I've had to do it by location (drawers, wardrobe etc) which she says not to do but I found her suggestion of asking 'does this bring joy' still worked. Her ideas are a little rigid, she could encourage her readers to adapt her method to suit rather than imply that it has to be followed to the letter. She also talks of folding clothes a certain way, a diagram would have been useful as I wasn't quite sure whether I got this right or not. Regardless, there is more space in my drawers and wardrobe than ever before, I'm winning the battle at last!
Kondo discusses the link between clutter and our emotions, need to hold onto the past, fear of letting go etc. She suggests positive ways of thinking to help overcome this, which I found inspiring and useful.
Overall a very inspirational read. Some people may find some of her ideas slightly 'cranky' so my advice is read, enjoy, be inspired, put into practise but don't worry if you can't put her theory into practise to the letter. Although this is based on her work in Japan, most of it can be applied anywhere. I have given it 5 stars as any book that inspires hoarders like me to get a grip and get tidying has to be a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Habit Changing Stuff!, 20 April 2014
This review is from: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever (Kindle Edition)
A different perspective on why we keep so much stuff we no longer need or cherish.
Very easy to read and some deep insights.
Wish it was longer, now I have to do the actual tidying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - it really is life-changing!, 24 April 2014
Firstly, if you're wondering whether to buy this book - BUY IT - let's get that out in the open right at the beginning! I bought it and read it within 48 hours and I've been to the tip twice since then (2 days ago). If ever there was a persuasive argument to make you de-clutter, this is it. I love that Marie Kondo is not afraid to admit that she spent her entire childhood tidying up - quite funny, but as an adult I reckon I've done the same! I must have spent years of time and money shuffling my belongings around the house, each time thinking I've got the perfect storage solution. After reading this book, I subjected each and every item to the "does it bring me joy" test and boy, what a shocker. The answer so far is 80% NO! Which means I've wasted all this time on stuff I don't even like!

After Marie goes through the actual de-cluttering process, the rest of the book is a fascinating summary of what happens next, which is where the life-changing bit comes in. Sounds a bit far fetched, but for me, just at the beginning of the process, I definitely feel like a burden is lifting. I feel I can breathe again - the rooms have space to breathe too and I am surrounded only by things that bring me joy! No more crap!!

It's all a bit of a revelation really - and definitely a journey worth taking. My mind is already beginning to buzz with ideas about what I can now do with my time ... instead of spending it tidying up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 July 2014
Fantastic book - simple techniques but very effective. Some of the narrative is quite over the top - thanking a pair of socks for the work they have done today etc but that aside this is a great book. Storing folded clothes on their side rather than on top of each other and getting rid of things which don't bring joy are the 2 stand outs for me. Thoroughly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 12 May 2014
Excellent book, came across it at exactly the right time when I was in need of more than a spring clean [and so was my house!]
It motivated me to get rid of decades of clutter and I re read it once I finished it to keep me motivated, I am still de cluttering today and wont finish probably for another month or so but the results are life changing!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book and it really works, 9 July 2014
I love this book and it really works. I feel lighter, happier and more optimistic than I have in years. I finally realised my untidyness is/was a reason to hide from life and adventures. Kondo has helped me clear away fear as well as junk. Thank you to a wonderful author.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring!, 29 Aug 2014
Although some of the concepts seem a little 'out there' (eg thanking your house) after reading the book I'm starting to get a sense of what the author means. As I write, I have 22 bags in the hallway, ready for the charity shop - I have already delivered 10 bags just a few days ago. I have a wardrobe where I can actually see everything, kitchen cupboards unburdened by the 'just in case' stuff and more importantly, a sense of calm. The basic principle of asking 'does it bring me joy' has radically changed my perspective on decluttering and I'm telling everyone about it. Buy this little book - it will bring you joy. Thank you KonMarie.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., 6 July 2014
I love it..... might not go with it 100% but that's my issues not hers!

I don't consider myself a hoarder per se.. more a lazy tidier. My idea of tidying when people were visiting as to bung everything in sight into bags and hide them. I'd honestly never wonder what was in those bags from that day on. Her article in the mail on sunday struck a chord and I'm just starting to do what she says in the order she recommends... all clothes at once. Will I thank each piece for what they gave me.. no... will I understand that buying them gave me something more than just buying them?possibly .. yes. I made this my beach holiday reading and although I cannot profess to be an 100% disciple... I can say I am going to follow it through as best I can. The missing link? how to get rid of stuff without just throwing it away.... a bit of advice about selling things that may not bring you joy but have value.. would have made this more than 5* Purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars This method works, 19 May 2014
I am naturally untidy and really struggle to keep everything neat. This book really inspired me to have a good declutter and for the first time in my life, I actually put everything away. I don't know why this method works, but who cares, it does!