5.0 out of 5 stars VERY MOVING, VERY EMOTIONAL, WELL WRITTEN
I was sceptical at first on reading this book, not sure whether because someone who is well known writing about his father during the war, which came out ready for the 70th anniversary of the d day landings, was bringing out this story at this time.
Published 9 months ago by The Grover

Published 8 days ago by Nijmegen92

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY MOVING, VERY EMOTIONAL, WELL WRITTEN, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
However when I read this, I found it so compelling, and wonderfully written, and had great admiration for Basil Tarrant. (and by the way great timing)

Going from one battle to another in such miserable conditions, with the great concern of looking after your men, was what every leader must have felt, but this person, by using stealth, experience, and patience before attacking the enemy managed to carry out these sorties with minimum loss to his platoon.
By trying to fight a war against such a brutal force, and still managing to follow the Geneva Convention separates the real professional fighting force.

Chris Tarrant has written a warning about not talking to loved ones enough, and leaving untold stories until it’s too late. I was in a position to be able to be with my dad during his last month alive, and we enjoyed looking at old photos and talking about his childhood which as like Chris I didn’t really know until then.

Brilliant book, makes you think even some days after finishing the book of the horrors of war and waste of young lives it takes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
well written definitely holds your attention. Chris has done a great job honouring his father.My wife is now reading it and finds it difficult to put down . A real tribute to a real hero

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tribute to a great man, 8 Jun. 2014
J. Coe (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book & found I couldn't put it down. Chris has done his father proud in writing this book & honouring all those who fell during WW2. It makes me think of my grandads time in the war & the need to talk to him about it & ask questions before it is to late.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down! I watched the Channel 5 show on TV And when I saw that this book was out I had to buy it. The story of Chris Tarrant's father is amazing. It was interesting to read about what he went through, and saw during WWII. It puts into perspective how trivial the things are that we worry about today. His dad was a true hero, but what also comes through in this book is the love that Chris Tarrant has for his father and how proud he his of him, and rightly so. I would recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing. Little information and a good deal of Chris Tarrant's autobiography., 22 Feb. 2015
Nijmegen92 (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
I can't quite believe all of the positive reviews of this book. As someone who loves personal accounts of WWII, I looked forward to reading this. Also, as someone whose father served in the army during the war, (though not as an infantry soldier) but who never asked him about his experiences, I wanted to see what Chris had to say. However, have a close look at the content and you will be very disappointed. It would seem that Chris, quite naturally, had very limited information about his father's actual experiences despite his search, and so there is very little of that in the book. What is there is absolutely fascinating and undoubtedly shows what an incredible officer he was. Brave, thoughtful, resourceful, a sort of British 'Dick Winters'. However, take that small amount out and the rest is just padding. If you have read a few books about the war, you will already know all of what is written here. However, most disappointing is the second half of the book when the war is over. This is just Chris Tarrant's autobiography and anybody, like me, who was brought up in the 50's and 60's will know and be able to tell the same stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars My father the best, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
What a brilliant book I feel as I now the whole family as friends and would be proud to live near them and talk to them what a great way to show your love ans how proud you are well done chris Tarrant

5.0 out of 5 stars dads, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
I found this book so very poignant as I also wished I had found the time to talk with my Dads of his experiences in Malta ,instead of being a stupid teenager who trivialised everything. I also was allowed as a young boyto play with and lose my Dads uniform and medals - what a tragedy ! There is a reference in the book where Chris's then elderly Dad said to Chris words to the effect "laugh with me but don't mock me". I mistakenly laughed with my elderlyDad on one occasion and he thought I was mocking him . This has hurt me and more as I get older and I no longer have the opportunity to put this right .Chris,love for his Dad shine throughout this book ,a moving tribute to what was a most remarkable man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Dads Army !, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
Obviously he wasn't going to be critical of his dad, found it a bit sugary in places, but the war bits were interesting. About the last 25% is post war, and seems to be a bit of an autobiography by CT. Strangely he gets his Capital Radio history wrong. All in all a good read, not many photos which I though a good thing, and in the Kindle edition, they are all at the end rather than in the middle of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very touching book to read., 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Kindle Edition)
This book was written from the heart, a proud son about his hero dad. Learning about how much he did during the war after his father's death, just shows how hard it was to come to terms with the horrors of war.
Writing this book was a great way to remember his father and all the other hero's we must never forget.
Well done Chris, you can also be very proud of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dad's War (Hardcover)
I have read this book 4 times/already. I love the book and really glad I got it. Definitely a good buy if you want an accurate account of the war. Had me restful at times. Really got involved with events and pictured the events taking place in front of me. Well written and told from a proud son's point of view.

Dad's War