4.0 out of 5 stars A good starter
I have recently taken up cycling to compete in a triathlon. i decided it would be a good idea to get a cycle computer that would show me my cadence.

Published on 15 Aug 2010 by S. Weaver

2.0 out of 5 stars Needed to much extra packing to make it fit.
Published 13 months ago by D. A. Hewis

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starter, 15 Aug 2010

My main issue was trying to find a cycle computer that offered wireless function and also offered cadence for under £40 quid. The cateye strada double comes in at roughly twice the price of this unit and the only extra feature is that it is wireless. I therefore decided to save some money and opt for the wired version instead. On the whole, I'd say the wired version has some advantages over the wireless. For example, with a wired computer, you get more accurate readings, faster update of the figures, and much better battery life (I have been told that wireless cadence devices eat batteries relentlessly). On the down side, you do get long wire that you have to somehow fit neatly on your bike.

I fitting my wire in such a way that it isn't even noticeable by mounting the speed sensor on the back of the chainstay. The downside is that the cadence sensor has to be mounted to the front of the chain stay, and I had real issues getting the magnet to be close enough to get a reading (it can't be more than about 4mm away from the sensor, which is really hard to do when you are mounting a magnet on the cranks with a cable tie which slides up and down the crank the whole time). Then hiding the wire up underneath the down tube is really hard too. I went for a strip of red electrical tape that blends in with the paintwork on my bike. Once the wiring nightmare is over, then the unit is actually very good and packed full of features. Its just big enough to sit comfortably on your handlebars without taking up too much room.

By the time i'd finished fitting this, it was dark outside. I was going to take it for a test ride but then I realised it hasn't got a backlight. Another let down.

Pro's
+ Lots of features for the price
+ Renowned name
+ Pretty cheap
+ Batteries will last/more accurate readings with wires/no interference
+ Easy click to change function

Con's
- Wires are a pain in the arse to fit
- Candence sensor and magnet on the crank is ridiculously hard to get within the 4mm range
- No backlight

On the whole, a good unit to start with - although I think I will go for a wireless unit next time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and sorted - even on a recumbent trike, 2 Aug 2012
I've had one of these for at least 2 years now; and am ordering another since I took it off my road bike to put it on my new recumbent trike. The wiring harness is long enough, and the neat and unobtrusive speed sensor and cadence sensor are separate so even on a long recumbent the cadence sensor reaches the front of the frame and the speed sensor can reach the rear or one of the front wheels). I did have a wireless set-up - not cateye - on the trike at first, but the signals were unreliable, the lag very poor (what's the point of a cadence measurement which tells me what my cadence was 3 seconds ago), it needed 3 batteries which wore out quickly, and the big obtrusive sensors were always getting bumped out of position.

This unit is easy to set up, has a good display, has very little lag, is easy to switch through the various display options,and the single battery seems to last about 1 year of regular use. OK it is basic in that you can't download info to your computer, it doesn't record average cadence, and of course it does not include a Heart Rate Monitor or temperature gauge or barometer or calories consumed or average air speed of the african swallow. But it gives the most useful information accurately (speed, distance, average speed, maximum speed, actual cadence, odometer, trip time, and clock). It auto-starts when the bike moves and pauses when it stops. In short: it works.

Another reviewer has apparently had problems with longevity of the unit. All I can say is that mine has proved to be very robust and reliable. Indeed I have an old Cateye Astrale unit which has been on my mountain bike for nearly 20 years and is still going strong (as is the steel framed bike - steel is real?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cateye Strada Cadence, 16 Sep 2009
Mr. S. King - See all my reviews
The Strada is easy to use (you just press the back of the unit rather than buttons), however the setup does take a bit of time. Having fitted both wired and the wireless version, I would spend the extra on the wireless everytime! The wired can be a faff to fit and timeconsuming. In contrast the wireless takes 5 minutes!
The functionality for both units is exactley the same, so save your pennies, get the wireless and you be happy as a pig in muck. If the cash is short go for the wired, but set aside some time to fit and set up!

4.0 out of 5 stars I prefer the wired cateye over the wireless!, 6 Jan 2014
Amazon Customer (Monrovia CA United States) - See all my reviews
Having both the wired and the wireless, I have to say that if you don't mind the cables on the bike the wired is much easier to use. My wireless one is always getting 'knocked' when I stop or put the bike on a bike rack and I often don't notice until i'm riding. I then have to wait for a stopping point to adjust the unit so it aligns with the magnets again. The wireless one also uses two batteries and once one of them gets below a certain power level the whole thing stop working. You then have to go through the arcane 'sync' process again to get it working (about once a year, just long enough to forget how to do it).

So all in all I prefer the wired one. However I think these units will soon be obselete as a GPS unit can give you all the same information except for cadence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bike computer, 21 Oct 2013
M. Burke - See all my reviews
I found the strada easy to set up and assemble. it was difficult to find a location that was the correct distance for the speed sensor, as the chain stay was too far away from spokes. ended up putting it on the sloped bar from from rear axle to seat post.

As this is wired it also takes alot more cable ties than supplied in order to make it secure and hide the wires as best as possible.

Once on the bike it is good

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD BUY, 13 Sep 2013
Mrs. Joan Jordan (Leicestershire UK) - See all my reviews
It does what it says, takes a bit of time to set up. Still not managed to set up the clock but I wear a watch anyway. The cadence feature is more important to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needed to much extra packing to make it fit., 15 Aug 2013
D. A. Hewis (UK) - See all my reviews
It now lives back in it's box, the cadence sensor needed far to much packing between it and the frame to get it to align with the magnet fitted to hollowtech 2 crank, the magnet also had to be packed away from the crank arm so it's surface was standing proud of the crank arm face. The rear sensor did not fair much better it needed a good 1/2" of packing between the frame and the supplied bracket. I did get the rear sensor aligned in the end but it looked a bodge with the packing. I can not say how good or bad the actual computer is as the whole thing looked such a mess with all the extra packing needed I gave up on it. I bought an Aldi wireless special for a quarter of the price and fitted it in 5 mins instead, If it fits your frame without hassle then it might be what your looking for, it would not fit either of my bikes without a lot of ugly extra packing so not such what type of frame it's intended for straight out of the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little computer., 1 Sep 2014
This is a very neat and compact cycle computer. I got the wired version because I read the reviews about the wireless version using a lot of batteries. One battery is enough and it's easy to change. The wires aren't that bad at all.

I put the computer on a new bike and I managed to hide the wires either under light reflecting tape that I was installing at the same time or wrapped around the brake cable. The wire is just about the right length. I have a medium frame 'Giant' road bike. However, I did have trouble installing the cadence magnet on the crank. I couldn't get the magnet within 3 mm of the sensor. The rubber spacer supplied was not thick enough so I had to find a thick rubber washer which I cut down to match the dimensions of the magnet. To stop it moving I put some double sided sticky tape on the cut down washer.

The computer in itself is very slim and low profile. It fits on the stem extension almost unnoticeably. In operation, there are no buttons to press. You simply press the whole lower part of the computer which presses a switch underneath. This makes it quite easy to change function without really looking. You can quickly learn how many presses will arrive at the function you want.

I bought this computer mainly for the cadence function as the one on my previous bike didn't have it. This computer has a mileage counter which never goes back to 0, two other distance (trip) functions, trip time, average speed, maximum speed and cadence.

The two distance functions are quite handy. If you were doing a trip covering several days, the distance 1 function could cover your distance for each day and the distance 2 function could cover the whole journey lasting several days.
Some functions are linked together. Distance 1, trip time, average speed and maximum speed are all linked together. If you zero any one of these then the others are also reset. You have to reset distance 2 individually.

I gave it only 4 stars because it's quite expensive and the functions are fairly limited. Temperature and an estimate of calories used would have been useful. These functions are on a really cheap Lidl computer I have - though no cadence!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to set up, 29 July 2013
It was ready to go as soon as I had aligned the double sensor.

It was quite a bit more expensive than I'd paid for a cycle computer before, but I am very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars CATEYE STRADA CADENCE, 16 July 2013
BRILLIANT PRICE SAME ONE IN THE SHOP DOUBLE THE PRICE.I NEED SOME THING THAT IS EASY TO USE AND THIS DOES THE JOB

Cateye Strada Cadence Computer