Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 12 March 2014
Originally published at Rookie Romance.

I won't lie, this book had me at pirate Laird. I wanted to read it, just based on the title. He's a pirate and a highlander Laird, for heaven's sake- is there a better combination?!? It was a very good choice though, because I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

I found both Calum and Anne to be brilliant characters. I immediately empathised with Anne and her undesirable situation. She's very unhappy about marrying a man so much older than her who she doesn't even remember meeting, but she has been raised to be a dutiful daughter and so she goes to meet her fate. I loved Anne's development through the book, she finds her backbone and the strength to choose her own fate.
Calum is a wonderful hero. He can be absolutely adorable sometimes, but he's also a powerful alpha male. He's just such a good man, he's very honourable and is trying to do the best for his people. He is torn between his attraction to Anne and the knowledge that she is married to his nemesis, Lord Wharton, but he (almost) always acts like a true gentleman.
I say almost because sometimes Anne and Calum could not help but give in to their blisteringly hot attraction! I loved their chemistry and the way it develops and becomes more intimate as they spend more time together. They know they shouldn't allow themselves to feel so strongly about each other, but a passion that strong can't be denied.

There's a great, forbidden romance between Calum and Anne but the rest of the plot keeps the momentum building at a a good pace. I found the first half of the book enjoyable, but the second half was even better. You can feel the tension building as Lord Wharton plots his revenge for his wife's kidnapping, whilst Calum and Anne's feelings for each other intensify. Of course there's action and thrills aplenty as the story builds to its climax, and I couldn't stop reading.

This is a fabulous pirate romance with a strong, yet sweet pirate Laird and a resourceful heroine who just can't resist each other. It's my first read from Amy Jarecki, but it won't be my last and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

*I received a review copy for my honest opinion. Thank you!
on 4 February 2014
This has got to be my favourite début in this genre for quite some time. I simply loved both main characters and their irresistible, star-crossed romance!

You might be forgiven for being unsure about Calum MacLeod at first. He is, after all, a marauding pirate. But is he also ruthless, wicked, depraved, corrupt, and all other words that might usually go with pirate? Absolutely not. He's an exceptionally honourable man just trying to feed his starving clan any way he can.

And what about Anne? Well she was a delightful heroine. Not valued as she should be by her family, we join her just as she's being parcelled off to marry someone old enough to be her grandfather to further her family's fortune and status. Could it be that being attacked by pirates was the best thing that could have ever happened to her? Well, if it means you get a Calum, then <i>my</i> answer to that is yes!

Of course, Calum, being an honourable man, and Anne, being a dutiful daughter, don't see themselves as free to act on their growing feelings, and instead, Calum plans to ransom her off - just as any good pirate would - to the husband she married by proxy. Even though it's becoming increasingly obvious that's not what <i>either</i> of them really want. This all leads to an exiting, action-filled conclusion that was highly entertaining to read.

The relationship that developed between Calum and Anne was absolutely delightful. Not just sensual, but truly romantic. I <i>loved</i> it! If you're a fan of Scottish Romance, then this is absolutely one to add to your TBR. I can't wait to read whatever's next from this author.

4.5 Stars ★★★★1/2
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
on 23 February 2014
Brilliant captured my attention from page 1 lots of action,intrigue very sensual a little too much sexual activity depending on one's own values. Best book I've read for awhile can't wait for the next one great imagination Amy a gripping ,active Scottish story, everyone must read.
on 23 April 2014
Absolutely brilliant book, truly wonderful characters especially Callum of course. What a proper hero. Can't wait for more from these Highlanders.
on 12 July 2014
This was a great story, lots of action and romance. Scotland's isles, starving and weak, are forced to piracy as a means of survival with their laird at the helm of their only ship.

It had a great hero and heroine who met under unusual circumstances, fell in love and had to defeat the evil villain and his henchman. Loved it!

Highly recommend.
on 2 August 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend reading this, it is an easy and exciting read. I am look forward to reading another from the author.
on 22 July 2014
Really enjoyed reading this book. Good strong characters and a great plot. Well worth the read. Will be reading more of the author.
on 27 October 2015
Kept me enthralled throughout. From edge of seat storyline to happily ever after.. looking forward to reading the next one!
on 28 May 2014
My attention from start to finish. That is the measure of a well written book - one you cannot put down until the end.
on 7 May 2015
Enjoyable read had me hooked cannot wait to read more in fact have downloaded book 2 😊 enjoy history/romance books