4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing and absorbing
Published 10 months ago by Christine M

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
After reading other reviews I was very keen to read this novel but unfortunately was disappointed. First, the prose style is rather bland, especially noticeable having just read THE GOLDFINCH and STONER.

Published 10 months ago by Wriggle

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing and absorbing, 6 Aug. 2014
Christine M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Kindle Edition)
Lizzie is left traumatized by the death of her husband, Zach. A year on and she still feels unable to deal with life fully. Someone leaves flowers at the place where he died and Lizzie begins to come alive and question who she was married to. Is her husband really dead? What happened to him? Who was he? Slowly we get to know the ins and outs of their meeting and marriage. Through his diaries, we learn about Zach and what really happened to him.

I found this a very absorbing, psychologically disturbing, read. I loved the way the marriage was portrayed and how it was slowly revealed in all its glory. I was marginally disappointed in the ending. The diaries were the highlight for me, as we real sense of Zach and his perspective on the world. Some of the entries sent a chill down my spine. Very cleverly done.

Definitely worth a read. I will have to look out for Sabine Durrant again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling!, 17 July 2014
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Kindle Edition)
Sometimes you know a book is for you from the very first page and for me, this was one of those books.

Valentine’s Day 2012 was the date of Zach Hopkins accident; tragically his car turned into a fire-ball after hitting a tree. It takes Lizzie a whole year before she is strong enough to visit the site of his death and his cottage in Cornwall. Reaching the tree which he’d hit with a bunch of flowers she notices another offering to Zach from Xenia, someone she has never heard of.

… and so the story begins. Told in the years running up to his death by Zach and in the present day by Lizzie, his widow. After finding the flowers Lizzie realises there was a lot about Zach that she didn’t know and when she starts her own investigations she realises there were far more gaps than she could have imagined. To make matters worse Lizzie is sure someone is following her and. Lizzie’s sister Peggy believes that this is because she is grieving, the problem was that Lizzie hadn’t been entirely honest with anyone before Zach’s death.

Sabine Durrant has created a truly terrifying character in Zach and Lizzie’s revelations about what life was like with her husband are all the more chilling because of the matter of fact way they are relayed. Zach’s own assessment of his relationship with Lizzie is even more disturbing. With Zach’s narrative echoing Lizzies many chapters later is an excellent device that allows the reader to see two sides of the same story without it appearing repetitive.

I rarely mention the ending of a book in my review because I don’t want to spoil the book for others but I’m going to break my own rules here by saying: the ending wasn’t what I expected but it wasn’t a disappointment either. That doesn’t give anything away as along the way there were enough twists and turns to make my head spin and I am notoriously bad at predictions!

I’d like to thank the publisher’s Hodder & Stoughton for allowing me to read this fantastic book for this unbiased, though glowing, review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense and exciting, 19 July 2014
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Kindle Edition)
Sabine Durrant's latest novel, Remember Me This Way, is a tense and absorbing psychological thriller. A short but dramatic prologue is an early taster for the drama ahead. The story opens with Lizzie taking flowers to the spot where her husband was killed a year earlier. She's locked in the past and struggling to move on without him. But as it says on the cover, 'behind every perfect life is a perfect lie'.

Lizzie, a rather dowdy librarian meets Zach, a good looking artist, through an Internet dating site. It's an unlikely match and clear from the outset that all is not quite as it seems. The scenes of cosy domesticity are a veneer and the cracks soon show. Zach's controlling nature is immediately apparent, his actions and intentions are increasingly sinister. The intricate and well crafted plot moves along at a fair pace. The narrative structure is simple but very effective as it allows tight control of pace. Events are recounted in turn by both Lizzie and Zach as the story sweeps back and forth between past and present. But the transition is seamless; you just want to keep reading as the tension mounts. It builds page by page and I had no idea how all the threads were going to come together. But they did and in ways I wasn't expecting.

Perceptive and gripping, it's a powerful and compelling exploration of relationships. We think we know the person with whom we share our lives, but do we really?

My thanks to the publisher, Hodder and Stoughton, for a review copy via Netgalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will have you peering over your shoulder as you read it, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Hardcover)
Wow, what a cleverly written story of the kind I love most, twisted and devious with a menacing feel which creeps up on you. A psychological thriller with strong domestic interest it is told in first person and jumps from the perspective of Lizzie, in the present time dealing with the aftermath of her husband's death and the voice of Zach her late husband telling the story of how they met.

After the funeral Lizzie the cracks in her relationship with Zach begin to be revealed, despite loving him intensely she was planning to leave him just before his death and she begins to wonder if this played any part in the accident which killed him, but as her friends and sister worry about her frail state of mind, she begins to feel he may not even BE dead, is this her reaction to grief or does she have grounds for believing she is being followed. Is her head being messed with or is she just crumbling after her loss?

Neither narrator is the most reliable and as you get to know them both closely being sucked into their minds via their voices, you get to have a little sympathy for both, then realise both have huge character flaws and its up to you to decide which one is telling the closest to the truth and discover why they acted as they did. We also meet Onnie an anguished teenager (also with a hidden agenda and secrets) and there's Howard, Lizzies dog about whom I became increasingly worried, she is so wrapped up in her grief and obsessions that she misses the fact that the poor animal's obviously suffering himself.

The ending is as clever as the beginning and even though I guessed Onnies secret early on, waiting to see if and how it would be revealed was rewarding enough.

It's creepy and insidious and will have you looking over your shoulder.

4.0 out of 5 stars And thought it sounded quite good. The book shifts between the past which seems ..., 17 July 2014
I Love Reading "Vicki" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Kindle Edition)
I was eager to give this book a try, i had heard a few friends and fellow bloggers talking about it. And thought it sounded quite good.
The book shifts between the past which seems to relate to the husband Zach telling his story, and the present, which is where Lizzie grieves the husband she lost a year ago in a car accident.
Lizzie was about to split up from Husband Zach before his accident which leads to his death and is grateful he never got to read the letter that she wrote and posted to him before he died.
It seems that Zach was somewhat a controlling, husband. and now a year on from the fatal accident she is only just coming to terms with things, that has allowed her to visit the spot on where the accident happened. And his Cornish home which is where she had sent him the letter.
But as Lizzie is grieving and trying to come to terms with things, she also now suspects that he may still be alive. Could Zach actually have faked his own death, or is grief playing a very difficult game with Lizzie's mind.
Can Lizzie overcome grief and move on or is there something else that is going to stop her getting over the death.
This books keeps you thinking and guessing all the way through. And there are a number of twists and turns throughout the book. It does make you think to how you would manage in certain situations, what you would do if you found yourself in the same position as Lizzie.
It's a very well written book, and will look forward to reading more from this autho

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Kindle Edition)

Secondly, I found the plot laboured and predictable. It uses the same structure as GONE GIRL - alternating chapters from the point of view of the main characters - but to nothing like the same effect. This is mostly because these characters are so one note. They remains much the same throughout the novel, with little development or insight.

The plot I found irritating rather than intriguing. It was one idea stretched over many pages. The few twists are predictable - given how few characters there are and that there are bound to be twists and turns, it is pretty obvious what they will be (apart from perhaps one).

But mostly it was the thinness of the characters that bothered me. The female protagonist so passive it grates after a while. I understand there is an attempt here to describe why some women become victims, but this feels lifted from reference books rather than based on any genuine insight. The problem is that the novelist wants to be insightful but she is also writing in the first person, so that any insights there are seem at odds with the character herself. In other novels, there are gaps left which readers fill in for themselves - they realise the narrator is unreliable and can see through the story he/she is telling, to the truth. This novel does not manage to pull that off, I feel.

I also found the lead character unbelievably stupid at times. For example, she is a librarian at a school. One of the problems she faces in the story is trying to guess the password on a laptop. This is a pivotal part of the plot - when she does, the mystery is revealed. Yet all she does is tap in some guesses. Surely she would look up how to break into a computer without knowing the password? She's a librarian - she would know how to go about this. She works in a school - surely there would be an IT dept that could help? I just Googled it - pages and pages of advice in under 15 seconds.

This may seem a small point but it is symptomatic of the lazy plotting which I feel fills this book.

Finally, the end was a great disappointment for me. I don't want to spoil the end (and I know you'll want to rush out and buy it after my review!) but I was very let down.

So I am afraid I can't say I would recommend this. But THE GOLDFINCH on the other hand ... I thought that was a work of genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and satisfying, 24 Jun. 2015
Weshty (Co.Clare, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Hardcover)
A novel so gripping I read it in a day, ‘nuf said really! There are shades of other contemporary thrillers in the structure but it is quite unique. The closest parallel would be with Gone Girl and Unravelling Oliver.

We find the protagonist Lizzie grieving after the death of her artist husband Jack 12 months previously. It becomes clear at an early stage that there are more than a few bats loose in his belfry, and due to several strange occurences, Lizzie is convinced that he has faked his death and remains jealously obsessed with her.

The story alternatively switches between both partners voices and the dysfunctional degree of their relationship and unhealthy co-dependency as well as his real background and friendships gradually unfolds.

I was very impressed by the narrative that skewers the upper-middle class pomposity of some of their neighbours and family, as well as representing Jacks deep misanthropy and narcissism. Durrant has clearly done her research as Jacks psychosis is very accurately portrayed along with the foundations for Lizzie’s poor self regard.

All in all, a great story that reveals its inner twists and turns in a most satisfying way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind every perfect life is a perfect lie., 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Hardcover)
I really admire the author Sabine Durrant in the way she has added twist and turns in this psychological thriller. I would like to read Under Your Skin next by Sabine.

About Remember Me This Way

Lizzie is married to Zach. It appears that Zach is a rather controlling husband to Lizzie. Something happens that makes Lizzie write to her husband telling him that their life together has come to an end. Zach reads the letter and can not live with out his wife Lizzie and he kills himself in his car.

After Zach's death Lizzie starts to look into her husbands life and finds he has been lying to her.

After Lizzie been told her husband is dead, strange things keep happening to Lizzie and she starts to wonder maybe Zach is not really dead or has Lizzie gone mad?.

Readers will not be able to put this book down until the truth has been revealed.

I hope all readers enjoy reading Remember Me This Way as much as I have.

Raeview by ireadnovels.wordpress.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but poor ending, 28 April 2015
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Paperback)
This is a good creepy read, about Lizzie, the widow of artist Zach. A year on from his death Lizzie finally visits the scene of his death in a car crash, but various happenings cause her to suspect that he might still be alive, and waiting to kill her. She uncovers a web of lies and secrets in his past.
Woven between Lizzie's chapters are entries from Zach's diary, leading up to the date of his death. The reader sees a controlling husband, becoming more and more obssessive, and it's easy to see why Lizzie is suspicious. The book is subtle but builds up the tension really well and keeps you turning the pages. The only thing that lets it down is the ending, I was reading desperately towards the climax, only to find that there isn't one, it just all fizzles out, almost as though the author wrote a really good book then lost her way and didn't know how to finish it.
I've given it 4 stars because I did enjoy it, but the bend is definitely a it disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A twisted, devious chiller of a read, 17 July 2014
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Remember Me This Way (Kindle Edition)
When I find myself sneaking my kindle into the loo with me, I know I have found a darn good book. I could reel off a whole string of words to describe it: Twisted, devious, controlling, passionate, lies, calculating, deceitful, vengeful to name but a few.

Twelve months after her husband Zach was killed in a car accident, Lizzie goes to lay flowers at the scene, only to find out that someone has beaten her to it. Who has already left flowers at the scene? It seems she didn’t know as much about Zach as she thought she did, but over the course of the book she is going to discover a lot more about him.

The story is told partly in the present from Lizzie’s perspective, from the moment she goes to the accident site onward, deciding to delve into Zach’s past to try and solve the mystery of the flower giver. As she does this, a string of strange events leaves her doubting what she has been told about Zach’s death. Something is not right, someone is messing with her – or are they? Could her sister and friend be right and it just be that her mind is unsettled because of the grieving process?

It is also told from Zach’s point of view. He tells us the story of how they met and their marriage. I don’t want to spoil the read for anyone else, but Zach’s testimony made chilling reading.

The two strands of the story eventually converge and all the little clues that the author dropped subtly into the book all suddenly make sense. Although my mind had been working overtime trying to piece the puzzle together, I was still surprised by the ending.

This read is highly recommended and I have to thank the publisher for a copy of the book in return for a review.

Remember Me This Way