5.0 out of 5 stars an astonishing amount of Cash for my cash, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Johnny Cash & June Carter - Country Lovers (Audio CD)
In the spirit of full disclosure I must immediately point out that I did not buy this cd from Amazon. I bought it in Sainsbury's, and I actually got it for free because I had a "spend 30, get 3 off" and this cd made the total of my shopping up from 27.40 to 30.40 (I was buying a colossal joint of pork and some wine, oh yes). So the 3 this cd cost meant I could use my 3 off voucher and blam! free Cash!!

So now we've got that out of the way, I can tell you that I've only listened to the first cd so far, twice - but nevertheless needed to tell you about it. I've had a vague, ambient hankering for some Johhny Cash since I arbitrarily decided a few months ago that A Boy Named Sue was simultaneously one of the funniest and coolest things I'd heard for ages. So when I spied this cd on the shelf a quick glance at the track list was all I needed - to confirm the presence of not only ABNS, but also other known-by-all-humans crackers such as I Walk The Line and Ring Of Fire and some et ceteras.

I couldn't not buy this cd, especially as it was free, and I am delighted so far. But as essentially a Cash newcomer, only familiar with the "hits" I thought I might share my early findings. First of all, with so utterly much Johnny Cash available here, it soon becomes apparent that in fact all the songs sound exactly the same. This is good news if you like one of them, as you will surely like them all. But bad news if you hope for a lengthy listening experience of continued variation and surprise, as that is an experience of which this cd will cause you to remain bereft.

However, now that I've said that all the songs sound exactly the same I must also warn you that they actually don't all sound exactly the same - because unfortunately also included on this cd are some solo recordings by June Carter (Cash) - Johnny's beloved wife of course. Sadly, the songs she sings are such a wretched cacophony of screeches and wails that they are rendered entirely unlistenable to my humble ear. Whatever the basis of their love, it is painfully clear to me that Johnny wasn't smitten by her delightful tones. Not to worry, as a simple stab of the "next" button will every time consign the sound of feral cats conducting MMA experiments into oblivion to be replaced by the grumbling bassy growls of Mr Cash himself. And because there are so infinitely many songs on here, there is always another Johnny song to skip to the second June's aural-horror begins.

Sorry June.

Another slight note of caution must be sounded to point out that whilst these recordings are all original recordings, they may not actually be the recording you're most familiar with. A case in point is the terrific A Boy Named Sue included here, which isn't the one you'll know - and feels that bit more ramshackle and wobbly than expected. Johnny also has to sing his own bleep noise near the end of the song, which both jars and is extra-funny.

As a previously non-fan of Cash, it may be only me that is unfamiliar with his bizarre Henry Rollins-esque spoken word acting performances on some of these tracks - professing to be a plantation owning slaver in 1855 or somesuch. Which I absolutely wasn't expecting, but somehow managed to enjoy in the midst of my genuine surprise. Whether these rants will bear repeated listens I cannot yet say I'm afraid, but diluted amongst another 70-plus tracks I suspect they won't upset me too much in future.

I am certainly looking forward to experiencing the remaining fifty tracks that as yet nestle unlistened-to in box in the door pocket of my car. But if it's possible to review something after experiencing only 30% of the whole, then that's what I'm doing here, with this. If you even think you might like Johnny Cash a little bit, there's no logical reason not to buy this cd because it's incredibly cheap and incredibly long and incredibly easy to not have to listen to the awful bits where June sings. Even moreso if you buy it in Sainsbury's instead, and have a voucher.

Excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing, 3 July 2014
I give it 5 out of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Jun 2014
THE PERFECT DUO..HERBERT

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny, 23 Jun 2014
R. Cunningham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Johnny Cash & June Carter - Country Lovers (Audio CD)
The cd is a must for Carter /Cash fans and was a very good bargain go on treat yourselves to some good country music

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Johnny Cash & June Carter - Country Lovers (Audio CD)
Love the music of Johnny Cash and to get such a good deal on the collection is great. Quality of audio isn't the quality on would expect from a cd but apart from that it's good value

Johnny Cash & June Carter - Country Lovers
Johnny Cash & June Carter - Country Lovers by Johnny Cash & June Carter (Audio CD - 2014)